#340637 Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi everybody ~

As many of you already know, Maxi & I are in the serious countdown to our move but life is terribly CHAOTIC at the moment!

By an agreement reached in court early in January, we are scheduled to move by Tuesday.

However, we have NOT yet found a place!

So, the lawyers are negoiating an extension, hopefully giving me a few more weeks.

We've had too many big snow storms which cancelled the few rides I had to get to town to view places. And, the two women I hired to take me up to look & to help pack have both backed out of the deal.

So the scramble is on.

My pal Angel has been coming over in the evenings whenever she can and bringing a pal with her to help pack. Maxi's room is done, my room is nearly done & today I've been working on the storage closets.

The agency which provides my home health staffing hasn't been sending girls on a regular basis & some of the ones they have sent have been terrible. (One stood here yelling at me & menacing me to the point I threatened to call the police if she didn't leave immediately!) Which means not only have I not had help functionally here in the house but also I haven't been able to run needful errands.

Yesterday I was waiting patiently for a call from my lawyer & also from the agency. No one called and I was really surprised by that. At 8 PM I picked up my phone to make a call and discovered it was unplugged from the electrical outlet! The girl who was here yesterday pulled the phone's power cord instead of the microwave's power cord!

A small detail, perhaps, but missing important calls can have major consequences and it is that level of carelessness that makes everything so much harder in the end.

On the plus side, Maxi scored very high on his mid-terms which made us both rejoice!! YAY!! How the kid managed to pull that off with all the stress of knowing about our pending move & not having a place, school cancellations due to the weather & chaos galore is astonishing. I'm proud!!

Because things are difficult at the moment and I do not know about so many details, if I lose connection to the internet for an extended period, I will phone Diane, Jimmy or Nana to give you an update. My provider usually needs two weeks notice to move services from one address to another so I might end up down for a while.

Merme *somewhere in packingland*

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #340666 Jan 28th, 2011 at 08:01 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks for the update Merme...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Merme #340671 Jan 28th, 2011 at 08:21 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Merme,
I sure wish I could get there to help out... I am a good packer... I am sure it will all work out... there is a perfect place out there for you- there is a reason you have had all this trouble to get there.. I hope the agency fired that girl that threatened you... she must not need a job very much to do something that stupid... I hope your voice mail picked up messages at least.... Take care and rest as you can- hopefully weather will cooperate now to let you find a place in Portland...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme #340679 Jan 28th, 2011 at 01:27 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Have faith that everything will work out. We'll still be here when you are able to come back. Thanks for the update and congrats to Maxi!

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #340845 Jan 31st, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
SORRY MERME

Guess we both have problems.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Merme #341030 Feb 2nd, 2011 at 09:36 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Our Plan:

We hope to have a POD delivered here on Friday. Friends will come on Saturday & load it up. POD will come back & get it & take it to a climate controlled, secure warehouse. Maxi & I will go to a hotel. When I find a place to live, POD will deliver the container to the new place to be unloaded.

Believe it or not, this very convenient service is far less expensive than a mover or even a U-Haul and a standard storage unit.

Hopefully I will find a hotel not too far from Maxi's school which has a restaurant nearby & maybe even a kitchenette inside so we don't have to waste money on delivery meals. And if I am centrally located in Portland, it will be far easier to get around looking at apts. In a perfect world, that hotel will also have WIFI. lol

Keep praying, please!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #341031 Feb 2nd, 2011 at 09:45 AM
10k Posts
10k Posts
A POD sounds like a perfect, temporary solution...
I hope that the apartment search is a short one!
kissie

Merme #341325 Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
flwr UPDATE! flwr

I'm posting to y'all from our mostly empty apartment.

The POD was delivered on Friday. However, no one was available to come and load it for us & Maxi could not possibly take our washer & dryer down the six steps by himself & do all that work alone, so I had to hire a team of reliable men. This was HUGELY expensive, considering there was no packing to be done by them... all they had to do was load!

So they got it loaded.

Today POD came and picked up the container & took it to the warehouse.

Trouble is, the loader guys were so expensive, I haven't been able to find an affordable hotel for the kid & I yet. We are okay here for a few more days but tomorrow I really need to find us a place.

Unfortunately, all of our kitchen gear is on the POD so today I sent my girl to the grocery to buy us food that doesn't need cooked! I'm delighted I kept my coffee pot & tea kettle, I'm telling you!

And Maxi was most unhappy to realize the men accidently loaded his school backpack on the POD with his important notebooks & texts! I just emailed all his teachers as the kid is beside himself.

All for tonight as I am beat.

I'll be back when I can.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #341338 Feb 7th, 2011 at 02:53 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I hope you fund an affordable place, Merme...with internet.
You guys have really been through it... kissie

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Merme #341491 Feb 10th, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Praying for you.

Merme #341758 Feb 16th, 2011 at 04:07 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi & I are still living in the mostly empty apartment; sorta like camping out but indoors & without all the handy gear.

Tomorrow (Thursday) I am scheduled to see four or five apartments. I do so hope one of them works for us! Thankfully, all I need is one -- after all, I do not need to collect a set! lol

Our needs are pretty specific....

2 bedrooms
wheel chair accessible
hard surface floors of some sort (wheel chairs ruin carpet quickly as they leave black streaks when the wheels are wet such as when coming indoors out of the weather) I need to be able to mop up after myself.
w/d hookups
priced at no higher than $1110
in a safe neighborhood

So the game is a-foot! Remember us in your prayers on Thursday!

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #341762 Feb 16th, 2011 at 09:24 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thinking of you Merme,, In hopes today is the day you find your New Home grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Merme #341775 Feb 16th, 2011 at 10:56 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Good luck, Merme! kissie

Merme #341791 Feb 17th, 2011 at 09:29 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Merme.

Merme #341798 Feb 17th, 2011 at 04:09 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I am hope and praying you found a perfect new home today.... and get moved in quickly and efficently....
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme #341806 Feb 17th, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning, everybody!

Yesterday's search didn't yield an apartment although we did come up with some more leads.

All the time in the car plus walking on the icy hardpack sidewalks, climbing up & down stairs pretty much did me in. I got up so stiff & sore today that I had to do stretches before I could even get out of bed. Lots of hurtin' this morning.

My PT will be here soon & I'm sure we'll work some of the kinks out together.

Today is Maxi's last day of school before winter break & he needs the break bad Like everyone else, he is run down & not feeling well... and /2 or the students are out sick anyway, so it is a good time to shut 'er down.

Be back when I can.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #341818 Feb 18th, 2011 at 02:59 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Oh my I hope you find one soon,,, don't run yourself ragged doing it though... wish I was close so I could help.... will pray one of these leads pans out for you and it will be easy work to get in a new place soon...
Nana

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image