Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#340385 Jan 25th, 2011 at 04:17 AM
OP Offline
I have the kind of spider plant that is completely green, and has no white on it. The plant grows leaves that are over an inch wide and over two feet long, which is quite different than the other varieties (from what I can tell the other varieties have shorter, narrower leaves).

From doing a little research on spider plants, I learned that the spider plant typically sends off multiple runners that are approx. 2-3 feet in length, that have a plantlet at the end which developes roots and can then be planted.

My plant doesn't do this. I have a single runner approx. 6 feet in length, with over 20 seperate plantlets, which haven't produced any roots at all. The runner branches in two locations, and is growing plantlets on these branches as well.

Do these plantlets behave differently than plantlets on the different varieties of spider plants? Is there something I should know about this variety?

From what I've read, this is the least common spider plant, so I really haven't found much info on this variety specifically.

Thanks for your help!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Josh.
I know very little about the type you are describing. I have hundreds of regular spider plants. The roots are not so noticeable on the plantlets. They are just little nubs on the bottoms that will grow into roots if placed in contact with soil.
Some of my plants will send out multiple runners over 6 ft in length though.
Good luck with your plant.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
They will l ikely develop roots when planted, Best way to find out is to try. You could even arrange the runner so that they trail over some pots of soil and see if they will root before detaching from the runner. Sounds like a cool variety, I love huge plants. I may have to see ablout finding me one of these.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have had a solid green spider plant now for 33 years. It doesn't send out nearly as many babies as the striped variety. That said, you can treat the babies just like the ones on the striped ones. You can cut them off the stem close to where the baby starts, and then either set the bottom in water, or in moist soil. The roots look like round nubs on mine - not longer like on the striped ones.

I like Shani's idea also, if you have the space to do that.

It shouldn't take long for your baby to grow and thrive on its own.
Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image