Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342040 Feb 26th, 2011 at 05:50 AM
OP Offline
I have an 8 foot tall philodendron that has been supported by a rough bark totem support for years; the bottom of the support has begun rotting off in the pot and the plant is growing taller. I don't want to cut the plant back as some of the leaves finally have 6 splits in them! I need and cannot find a replacement support such as it has. Does anyone know where this type of support may be purchased?

10k Posts
10k Posts
Unfortunately, by the time the 'totem' begins to rot out,the philodendron is probable rootbound enough that it would harm the plant's roots if you tried adding a second 1 1/2' totem to the mix. I would recommend just getting a couple thick bamboo stakes (or equivalent) and slide them into the pot, next to the original totem and lash the three together with twist ties as mutual support. That would only be a temporary fix though.
When you get around to re-potting, you can use a new totem, which you should be able to find at any large nursery that deals with house plants...

Bill #342045 Feb 26th, 2011 at 07:53 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Bill. This plant belonged to my dad, who is nearly 85, and I don't believe he has ever repotted it--I remember it from when I was a child growing up. I have checked with every greenhouse, nursery and retail outlet within 25 miles of my area (Richmond, VA). My dad got the original support probably a couple of decades ago in Rochester, NY from a greenhouse that has since gone out of business. I can't believe this is such a rare commodity...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image