Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342198 Mar 2nd, 2011 at 11:18 AM
WVscott Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year I decided to buy a two tiered raised garden to grow some vegetables, mainly potato's, since I have the worlds worst soil comprised of red clay and sandstone. I have never had any luck growing anything here besides some relocated wild Hostas but the deer eat them after a couple months. Funny thing is I never see them eating them in the wild. Anyhow things were looking good in my raised garden and a couple of old tires I had filled with bagged garden soil. The potato's were coming up real nice until late June when I noticed that the plants were looking a weaker, yellowish brown starting to form. I thought I was overwatering so I cut back. They didn't improve. Then I started back to watering as I was. No improvement. Once I realized they were dead in mid July, I pulled them up. The potato's had little white bugs on them not any bigger than fleas. I assume this is what killed the plants. Does anyone know what these nasty creatures were and how I can get my revenge this year. As I said the soil was pre-bagged so I don't think it was the soil. Also should I put in all new soil this year. I grew up on my Grandparents farm and they had a huge garden. We also had a family potato patch for all my Aunts and Uncles. They are gone now and I want to teach my kids the importance and reward of growing your own food. Luckily they are little and won't remember my firt try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
There is a website somewhere that has pictures of bugs so you can identify what got into your bed and from there you can goggle the correct treatment for the problems.

As far as your soil is concerned clay and sand are two of the components that you need for great soil. Now you just need to add humus. I do it by adding compost that I make from the leaves and grass clipping that come from yard maintenance. Of course you can buy it instead if you have the money. After that it's a matter of taking soil samples to send to your local university extended coop. They will tell you what amendments you need to add to your bed to grow potatoes.

As far as commercial garden soil not being infected. I wouldn't be absolutely positive about that.

You may not need all new soil but you will have to deal with the problems with your current soil.

Did you buy seed potatoes or did you just cut up some of your pantry potatoes. I understand you will have much better luck with commercial seed potatoes. Although they are expensive.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image