Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342800 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 02:52 AM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone....just wanted to introduce myself. I've been growing veggies for a couple of years now. This year will be my 3rd season, but I'm not very good at it and haven't had much success yet. So I'm kind of like a first time gardener I guess. Point is, I've been having a hard time figuring out why things are going wrong when they do. Most forums/topics I have found when I try to google specific problems, the threads are several years old. So found this forum and seems to have current, active members so thought I would join up.

Anyway, I believe I live in zone 9? (Not sure if that's an A or B...I live north of Houston, TX.) Hopefully will find some people here who have mastered this region. I also love sharing pics and seeing pics of what others are doing, so hopefully there are others here that enjoy the same. Despite my mediocre results to date, I'm still pretty enthusiastic about gardening.

Cheesey #342801 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 03:07 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Cheesy. You may just find help for whatever ails your gardens here.
I don't do many vegetables in my zone 9 garden. But I do many flowers. And it is beautiful! But I keep telling everyone I have killed as many plants as I have successfully grown.
So much of gardening is trial and error and learning. Even the pros are constantly learning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Cheesey #342803 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 03:28 AM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, I love flowers too. Quite a few years ago I had pretty good luck w/ hibiscus and roses in pots when I lived in an apartment. Now I'm into trying to grow things that I can eat. What kind of flowers do you grow?

Cheesey #342804 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 03:33 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I grow as many flowers as I can find that the critters don't want to eat.
And critters are the only reason that I do not grow more food plants. They enjoy them before I can.
Here the biggest pest is the ground squirrels. And we get gophers and some deer also. I live snug up to national forest land and they are prolific.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Cheesey #342806 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 04:00 AM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh yeah, my big problem here is birds. Every time I have a tomato that is starting to ripen, if I don't catch it in time, some bird will have come along and shredded a hole into the side of it. Plus they like to steal "building materials" as in coco liners in my hanging baskets. I guess that stuff makes good nesting material.

Cheesey #342807 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 05:21 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Leave easier nesting material out for the birds. Bits of yarn, cut up old sweaters and cotton rags for them. If they have completely ruined one of your coco mats, put that out for them in shreds. They will head for the easiest stuff to gather. And it is fun to see bits of pink yarn threaded though nests later.
Birds do a lot of good for gardens in pest control. Some bird netting tossed over the tomato plants might save some of your fruit.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Cheesey #342820 Mar 22nd, 2011 at 07:29 AM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh that's a good idea. I'll go do that now. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image