Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343250 Apr 9th, 2011 at 08:14 AM
Cinder Offline OP
OP Offline
I was working in my garden today and I came across a creature which RESEMBLED a maggot but which I am 90% sure isn't a maggot. It was white with an orangeish head, had about three orangeish legs on each side and was about the size of a nickel curled up. The hind end appeared to be dark purple or black in color and it had some black spots on it's back. The garden has been home to weeds and junk for as long as it's been there (a long time) and I just started to work on it today. Now I didn't get very close to it because it was basically the embodiement of all my nightmares haha, so take the description with a grain of salt. I live in western New York if that helps. It moved in a weird convulsing manner which resembles the movement of someone's throat when swallowing.

Does anyone know what that might've been? Is it good or bad for a garden, and how many more can I expect? Any advice for getting rid of them if they are bad?

I also spotted about twenty potato bugs and I'm sure there were many more. This might seem like a stupid question to ask but are they good or bad? (I'm new to gardening!). There are tons around here so if they're bad adivce on prevention and a way to control them would be nice (there's no getting rid of them, that I am sure of!)

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
euwwwwww I got a visual in my head by your discription,, I don't think it's a grub worm,, but it could be why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Cinder Offline OP
OP Offline
It is! Thank you, angelblossom! *Goes to read about the disgusting little creatures*

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image