Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343489 Apr 18th, 2011 at 04:22 AM
Forbes Offline OP
OP Offline
I have been given an avocado tree; a good mature plant of indeterminate age but probably over four years old. I am wondering when I might expect it to flower and does it require cross-pollination. I have heard that it does from one source and that it is self pollinating from another. Does anyone have a definitive answer please?

Last edited by Forbes; Apr 18th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Forbes #343496 Apr 18th, 2011 at 12:16 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Multiple Avocados will enhance pollination.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html

Forbes #343507 Apr 18th, 2011 at 02:23 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
from UCLA.EDU

The story of pollination in avocado is a remarkable one, and it makes one appreciate how hard it is to get fruit to set. Avocados have flowers that open twice, on two successive days. The first day the pistil is receptive and protrudes from the flower; the second day the pistil is no longer receptive, and the stamens shed their pollen. Here is an example of protogyny, which means that the female is mature before the male ("early female"). The consequence of this is that a flower cannot self pollinate, but requires transfer of pollen, typically by bees, from another flower, often another tree. Within avocado there happen to be cultivars that open with a receptive pistil in the morning of Day I and then reopen in the afternoon with stamens of Day 2 (A Group). Other avocados open with a receptive pistil in the afternoon of Day I and then reopen in the morning with stamens on Day 2 (B Group). Some growers take advantage of these differences and plant the two near each other, so that pollen from B (AM) can be transferred to Day 1 (AM) pistils, and Day 2 (PM) pollen can be transferred to Day 1 pistils (PM). Fortunately, flowers do not always behave so regularly, so some fruits may form on trees if some of its flowers are out of synchrony. An avocado tree typically produces a million flowers per year but only sets dozens or up to 400 fruits.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image