Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345344 Jun 18th, 2011 at 05:49 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone
I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member of these forums, especially as I intend to pick your brains ragged with incessant questions about growing and caring for plants, something I've never really concerned myself with... well, except that one time, and I got fined for that.
But that was then, this is now.
I find myself suddenly bequeathed the task of caring for several plants from my late Father-in-law's balcony, most of which had been sadly neglected towards the end but which I have rescued. I'm quite pleased with my efforts, and with the breath of fresh air that this has breathed into our own balcony, a place I had hitherto only considered as a convenient place to hang laundry. Permit me to show you a photograph of my new found bolt-hole from the demands of wife and daughter within:
[Linked Image]
It is funny how a death can change the lives of those left behind. It is the Buddhist custom here for the next of kin to maintain a shrine at home and keep the ashes of the deceased for 49 days prior to interment. During this period, we were brought fresh flowers for the display by the funeral directors every week. As you can see in my second image below, this was both spectacular and intrusive, given the relatively small size of our apartment. Can you imagine the smell of all those blooms in concert with the ever present whiff of incense?
[Linked Image]
I've never been too fond of cut flowers but I will miss all that colour and sensory input now we are back to normal again. But my point is, with all this flora around me, I feel like I've been thrust into a garden of delights and I want more! Maybe it's an age thing... a need to genteelly potter about, patiently watching and waiting to see the results of my efforts. Well, Playstation 3 it ain't.
Anyway, as I'm not actually Japanese, my wife's Dad's gardening books don't mean much to me... thank heavens for the WWW! I'm looking forward to spending time here at the Gardener's Forum.
All the best - Bill

Last edited by ColourBlind; Jun 18th, 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Image resize... oops!
ColourBlind #345348 Jun 19th, 2011 at 02:21 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Bill. I am sorry for your loss.
You have a nice beginning for your new hobby. I hope it gives you the satisfaction that it gives to many of us.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
ColourBlind #345351 Jun 19th, 2011 at 03:09 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Originally Posted by ColourBlind
But my point is, with all this flora around me, I feel like I've been thrust into a garden of delights and I want more!

We all seem to get into gardens, plants and other things for different reasons, a lot of times because they were our responsibility after a loved one passed on. Whatever the reason, flowers are always such a blessing...they are so peaceful.

Welcome to the forum, and condolences to you and your family for your loss.

Cindy

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image