Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#346739 Aug 2nd, 2011 at 12:33 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year I found a single variegated Common Dayflower. I potted it and it grew huge, but was amazing looking. This year from randomly thrown seeds from my plant last year, I got more growing and they are more colorful! First pic is the usual color, the second is the variegated form, very attractive actually!
[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/wDfkTpyE9SbjJ5...zGuNXLlLQYGFsRzIqxSX0UWrLYh2t_uC3g=s1200[/img]
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/MGojU6lAkQ_tlQ...44aAC-yb2PSiau8aXLn91l-wCbwDuaT6UF=s1200[/img]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love day flowers! your variegated version is nice.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOW - I have those but didn't know they were called day flowers! I dug up a small patch - they are weeds here - about 5 years ago, and they are growing like gangbusters. Never saw a variegated leaf before - I like it very much!

This year I potted up several cuttings in 3 large pots and have them growing on my deck - I just love the small bursts of blue on the flowers! As I said, around here they are just weeds and no one ever pots them up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I love day flowers! your variegated version is nice.

Really weeds here too--but me being me, I brought some from "the farm" to this house when we moved---so now they have pretty much over-ran my cultivated wild violets--- rolz--When I rip some out they just come back---but hey, NOW I have a name for them--yea!!!!!!

and I too really like the varigated ones... grin thumbup Very nice !!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
They are weeds here too, but the variegated version is so eye catching I bet people would plant these if they all looked this nice.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love these weeds and propagate them intentionally. They do not grow anywhere that is not watered regularly. So they really don't take over easily in my desert landscape. But their green is good and the sweet tiny flowers are beautiful.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I think you are right, Keith - if they grew and sold them as plants here, people would readily buy them! I haven't seen them around here much, but where they are, it's very invasive.

Mine have taken over a long garden as well, Carol, but I just pulled out the piecees I don't want there, and potted them up this year.

By the way, have you noticed that the small flowers close up in direct sun? When I first noticed this I thought they had all mysteriously disappeared!

Keith - Will you be saving seeds from the variegated ones this summer to see if you can grow more next year?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I wanted to save some seeds for myself, and mabye to give away here in case anyone is interested in trying to make more of these beauties from my stock. Afterall, if we make enough of the variegated variety mabye they will be in high demand for gardens in the future lol.

But I am not sure how to save the seeds, as the pods split open by themselves and the seeds are gone after. I also have no idea what a "ripe" pod looks like. I looked at one of the regular plant pods that were green, and inside the seeds were white and mushy, ripe seeds I know are brown, so I know a green pod is unripe, but I dont know how long it takes to ripen? I got a flower on my special one yesterday, so any idea how long for it to ripen, mabye I can collect before they are sown by themselves?

Any help is appreciated.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Well I dont' know when they ripen, but what if you were to do what I was told to do with datura seed pods? Gentlyl wrap something like a piece of panty hose around the flower and leave it there until the seeds fall into the material? I do belive the seeds of this tiny flower would be extremely small, so the material should be pretty close knit, but still airy enough for the flower/seed pod to breathe?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well I am up for some seeds of the varigated ones---

I am wondering what another name of the plant is???---

I seem to remember looking it up one time---but I tried just now & got5 nowhere---If I find some info I will be dure to let you know Keith, but how about wrapping some type o f material around the flower head--like a close-wovwen cheesecloth?? something that would let in the sun but not let the seed out ??? why

OK so now I am blush I found its other name: Commelina communis. and I am, sure you knew that----but hey---I was hoping we could find some information on seed gathering in all of the info given--I did find a place where one could get free seed--but you h ad to be a school-- rolz

________

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Well I dont' know when they ripen, but what if you were to do what I was told to do with datura seed pods? Gentlyl wrap something like a piece of panty hose around the flower and leave it there until the seeds fall into the material? I do belive the seeds of this tiny flower would be extremely small, so the material should be pretty close knit, but still airy enough for the flower/seed pod to breathe?

Thats the thing, the pod is the size of a pea, on a stalk a little thicker than a toothpick, pantyhose will injure it, and in this heat might kill the whole plant. It's hot here.

If I had one of those mesh butterfly houses I could have put the plant inside, and it would have air flow and room, and the seeds would collect on the ground and not blow away, but I dont have one.
All I have are plastic enclosures, but if I put a plant in there, in this heat, it will cook my plant!

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
hmmmm ok - how about setting some newspaper or something under the stems of the plant to collect the seeds?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yea, I think Lynne has a good idea there---, or cut out a hole & a line in a paper plate ??

________

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not sure if the seeds just fall out, or "pop out" (like wild violet seeds do), If they just fall out then I suppose I could try to put a plate underneath. Only trouble is, I still need to know what a ripe pod looks like, so I can watch out for the seeds.

Last edited by KeithP; Aug 4th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by KeithP
I'm not sure if the seeds just fall out, or "pop out" (like wild violet seeds do), If they just fall out then I suppose I could try to put a plate underneath. Only trouble is, I still need to know what a ripe pod looks like, so I can watch out for the seeds.

Commelina communis

Propagation Methods:
From herbaceous stem cuttings
From seed; direct sow after last frost

seed Collecting:
Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds

Grow with extreme caution, as it will quickly spread in a cultivated setting.

I could not find any pictures of the ripe seed pods, sorry

________

They grow everywhere in the south. Down here we call them spiderswort.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image