Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34703 Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I was sitting on the back porch talking to my friend and all of a sudden I SAW the baby birds come out of the birdhouse and fly!!! Baby starlings!

There were 2, both sitting on the clothesline shortly after their brief flapping around attempt at flight thru the air.

[Linked Image]

They hung around forever on the clothesline, and even tried to get back in the house, but mama bird flew out and chased them off---I guess once you're out, you're out. You can see one of them trying to get back inside to no luck.

[Linked Image]

AND, literally 2 minutes after I saw them coming out flying I saw my first hummer of the year at my feeder!

What a cool bird day! shots

#34716 Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It was the coolest thing ever watching them tring to fly around.....and get back in there.

I wonder if that's really how mothers are with their baby birds? Once you're out, you're out?

I don't LOVE Starlings, but I don't mind them too much...and I'm just glad the birdhouse is in use each year!

#34754 Apr 30th, 2007 at 01:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That is very cool Loz! What an exciting bird day for you!

#34808 Apr 30th, 2007 at 02:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I DID feel sorry for the babies...... lol

And yep, it was awesome---I've never actually been outside and saw birds coming out of the nest before.

#34837 Apr 30th, 2007 at 03:25 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Those are NOT Starlings, Loz. Those are Swallows!!! They appear to be either Tree Swallows, Purple Martins or Possibly Barn Swallows. All three species are found in Maryland.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #34849 Apr 30th, 2007 at 03:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow Thorny, you're right! I just assumed they were starlings, because they nested in there for the past few years.....

I knew something was nesting in there and assumed it was Starlings again....but they always sat on top of the BH for hours at a time and now I think about it I didn't see them sitting out there at all.

I did an image search of all 3 and it does sort of look like a tree swallow huh?

All I know is that they flew out of the birdhouse and could barely fly right, they sat on that clothesline forever.

Actually now I think about it....are they even baby birds? Or are they normal sized for a swallow? Maybe they were in there trying to steal eggs or food or something and got chased out by the real mother?

Their flight seemed so uncertain and flappy, and they came out of their where birds are nesting so I just assumed they were new birds.

#34865 Apr 30th, 2007 at 04:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think swallows too, glad you said it thorny--we had quite a lot of barn swallows out at the farm, they came back every year---and we loved them & I miss them, they love to eat things like mosquitoes---but no such luck in town here-- They look full grown to me but then pictures can be decieving.

Either way great birding day for you congratulations!!!

Last edited by JunieGirl; Apr 30th, 2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #34871 Apr 30th, 2007 at 04:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Maybe they were sneaking in and got chased out by the mama starling---I'd say it's starlings in there. Seems like they use the birdhouse every year.

Even if they are swallows that's cool, I've never saw any in my yard ever before. thumbup

Word must be getting out between the birds to come to my yard for food, shelter, and a free bath! lol

#34901 Apr 30th, 2007 at 05:25 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Those look more like Tree Swallows than anything else to me. Yep. Tree Swallows. They were checking out your Martin house. They nest singly in birdhouses. Bright blue above, BRILLIANT white below, loong forked tails......Tree Swallows!

[Linked Image]

Thornius #35029 Apr 30th, 2007 at 09:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
we had to leave the barn doors open so my swallows could nest when they returned each year--but it was such fun to watch them swoop no one minded. Hey thorny--would there be a trick to getting tree swallows to come around here?? I would love it if I could-

________

JunieGirl #35244 May 1st, 2007 at 06:08 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
According to Sibley, Tree Swallows do not nest in colonies but nest singly in bird houses or hollowtrees in large fields or near bodies of water. Whenever I'VE seen Tree Swallows, they have ALWAYS been flying and cavorting in large, loose, flocks over the top of large lakes and ponds chirping and chattering happily. I saw some just a week and a half on Old Hickory Lake, five miles from my house.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #35998 May 1st, 2007 at 07:45 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
oh well then I guess i will just have to hope I see them someplace else--thanks anyway though

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image