Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
This weekend I took possession of a peace lily. The woman that had it is moving and didn't want to chance taking it with her. She said it was a large, cool looking peace lily. I had already affirmed to myself and to my husband that I would not take in anymore plants. I'm almost at 100 now. But who can pass on a big, beautiful peace lily?

I got to the lady's home to pick up the peace lily and it was the ugliest plant I'd ever seen in person. Part of me wanted to turn around and walk away. The other part of me - the plant lover - saw possibility. So I took it. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I unpotted it. Almost half of the leaves were brown. Some of the leaves had been chewed on by a cat. The soil was horribly compacted. There were inches and inches of bare, brown stem at the bottom were leaves had once been. On my way out, the lady said to me, "Oh, I just love peace lilies!" Yikes! lol My husband wanted to find the nearest dumpster and pitch it. He couldn't believe I was going to take it home. I had to promise to wash it off and unpot it outside to make sure there were no pests.

So here's my main question...

It's about the bare stems. Each piece of the peace lily (there are four) has 5 - 6 inches of bare stem at the bottom. When I repotted I buried those bare stems in the soil. Was that the right thing to do? Should I have let them sit on top of the soil? When I picked up the plant they were exposed on the outside. Please give me your input.

Thanks.
Amanda

Last edited by Amany; Apr 30th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
I just learned that those long stems are rhizomes. I still don't know if it's ok for them to be buried though. They did seem to have little buds on them.

Amanda / Zone 6
1k Posts
1k Posts
Would love an update from you as your peace lily settles in.

I'm really wondering about the brown tipped leaves. I have the same problem and I do take better care of my plants then the lady where you got your plant from.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
burying them was fine. you could have also cut the tops off, put them in water to root, and grown more plants (shhh don't tell hubby). but, truthfully, you did exactly what i would have done.

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the before picture. I had to cut off about a third of the leaves because they were brown. I know it looks over potted, but it actually isn't. Those long rhizomes / stems are just underneath the soil.

I'll post a follow-up picture around late May-ish.

[Linked Image]

Amanda / Zone 6
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
uhuhh

Thats a sad story...........

Good luck with it.. I had one, and no matter how I tried , it wouldnt grow and bloom like others.......
One day it died.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Well then Dodge, I'll just have to grow this for the both of us. ;)

Amanda / Zone 6
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Amany, hope you have good luck with that one. You never know if you don't try!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you are on the right track thumbup

Hi
My peace lilly's flowers have gone green, can anyone tell me what i have done wrong or is this suppose to happen.

x

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Badger.

From what I understand this can sometimes happen if the peace lily gets too much light. Wait for others to chime in though.

Amanda / Zone 6
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
shock

Be glad they bloom at all, mine sure didnt........
Orchids are easier for me.

snooz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
green flowers mean that the blooms are getting old. then will green, then brown. i usually cut them off when the green gets really dark, right before brown.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Jiffy is right I do the same with mine.

[Linked Image]

One of my peace lillies' flowers are also green. They have been blooming for a while and the pollen has already fallen off. I also have new flowers coming up on the same plant that are white. I am sure that they just turn green before they die off.

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm glad more knowledgeable people than me came along and answered this question. Months from now I would have been looking at green spaths and thinking I was giving my peace lilies too much light and moved them further away from the window. Even more months later, I would have been posting here about my peace lilies that never flower! why

I love this forum! grin

Amanda / Zone 6
You know...I think I am just lucky that my peace lillies flower. My boyfriend's dad gave us all of his plants (except for the HUGE jade that he's had for almost 30 years) when he retired so he can travel. The peace lillies were part of the "plant estate" he left us. I just put them in my house and they began to bloom!

Now if I could only figure out what is wrong with my big-leaf schifflera....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,927
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image