Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#347664 Sep 4th, 2011 at 11:16 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

First post and nice forum here. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone with more experience can help me out with but first about me a bit so you can know what I am working with (skill or lack there of :) )

I live in central Arkansas and just started doing a flower pot garden this past year for the first time. It was bad time to start with the record heat and no rain but is there ever a good time... Anyway about two years ago my wife and I got a bright idea when we were eating some of the best apples we had ever had. We saved the seeds and decided to plant them. We have had them in two pots and they are now about 2 1/2 to 3ft tall. I don't remember off hand what type of apple they were other then really good and not bitter at all.

I am wondering since this is the first fall they have been out of the house what should we do and if they need to be re-potted and if so how big should we go?

Also we are not sure where to plant them in the yard or if we may move in another few years just keep them potted?

Here is a picture, we had a lot of grass hoppers this year and with the heat I think they are doing well but please let me know what you think. We would welcome any and all experience we can get. I don't know how well you can tell from the picture.

Thanks again for the help!
[Linked Image]

Otterboy #347666 Sep 4th, 2011 at 01:21 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Otterboy.
There is good news and bad news. First, Apples are normally propagated by grafting because they do not reproduce true from seed, so your seedling tree is an experiment! It may produce fruit that tastes wonderful, or not...but either way the fruit is unlikely to resemble the apple the seed came from.
But they are still fun to grow.
So I would keep them potted for the winter and maybe protect them with a blanket or something for the coldest parts. And then transplant in early spring into the ground. You may need to protect them from deer or other grazers in your area. And don't trim them. They like to get lots of growth on them before they bear fruit.
I hope yours produce fruit as delicious as the seeds they came from.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Otterboy #347667 Sep 4th, 2011 at 01:28 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the information. We had them in partial sun about 6 or so hours a day in the summer and watered daily. Should we keep this up until it gets colder or would you suggest anything?

Thanks again and I am looking forward in a few years to see what we really have.

Otterboy #347668 Sep 4th, 2011 at 01:36 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Even evergreens have a 'dormant period. So when the fall leaves are gone I would slow down any watering a bit.
Good luck!
Adding here. Also keeping them on a porch or snug up to your house should also help protect them from winter damage as well as those blankets. Or even in a garage or basement once their leaves have dropped.

Last edited by Tina; Sep 4th, 2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added more

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,910
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image