Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#348357 Oct 1st, 2011 at 07:33 AM
OP Offline
My folks received this plant as a gift. Originally the flowers were a dark purple with orange hints. We watered it, but it didn't do very well. Now all the flowers have wilted and it looks nearly dead. The only healthy looking part I can see is a bit of green at the bottom. You can see it in the first and third photo. Including the pot, the plant stands about two feet high.

I'd like to try and save this plant if possible. But I don't know anything about gardening. I don't even know what kind of plant it is. My folks moved it outside because we've been having hot weather and they thought the extra sun would be good for it. The sprinklers have been watering it since it was moved. Any information anyone can provide on what this is or how to care for it (or if its even worth trying at this point) would be much appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Roger.
Your plant is a chysanthemum.
Click here forcare of chysanthemums
They sell lovely plants that are grown in optimum conditions like greenhouses and things. Those plants often get pretty shocked when removed to a front yard to different conditions. But mums are pretty easy to grow and yours is coming back from the base already. I don't know what zone you are in so I cannot tell you how to care for yours right now. If that were mine in California, I would cut it back to the new growth at the bottom and it would regrow. But I am not sure if it needs the same treatment in a freezing zone.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Its probably root bound. If it has been needing lots of water.
Wonder if it says Hardy on it oR not. There are several types. Hardy an annuals.

I am in zone 5 an hardy come back here.

YOu can plant it in the beds .
dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Here in zone 6 I would just plant it out into the ground--with some protection, like against a building--and it should come back next year---why not seperate it and do i/2 in a pot & 1/2 out in the ground--it would cover all your bases then

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi Rogerblob - I am in zone 6 here in NY, like Carol is in Illinois. Years ago I met a Master Gardener here who was very well known - had many radio talk shows about gardening, wrote many books, etc. He had said that when one gets a new chrysanthemum in the fall, the best thing to do is plant it in the ground in the plastic pot because it's too late for the plant to develop a good root system before the cold weather freezes the ground.

I have done this with every new mum that I get, and each one has returned the next year for me.

Your's is a VERY large one, and even though it looks like it's done flowering for this year, it is still healthy. From your post, it sounds like your parents were growing it indoors? It's really an outside plant, but can be kept inside for decoration for a short while. It also looks like it was allowed to dry out, before it was put outside - therefore the droopy dried flower heads. No problem - the nice green leaves tell us it's still going to be fine.

You can cut it way back down to about 4-5 inches or so (just above the healthy leaves at the bottom - the flowers will not perk back up again at this point.

Be careful not to overwater it - they don't like to be soggy.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks so much to everybody who responded. So those are chrysanthemums! I've heard of them before, but never knew before what they looked like.

In answer to the questions some of you posted, I'm in northern Utah and live in hardiness zone 6-7 according to a website I checked. The plant was given originally as a gift and kept indoors. It was watered, but I guess not frequently enough. I'm glad it's not dead though. I'll try to keep it healthy from here on out. Tomorrow I'll trim it down to just above the new growth.

We've been having unusually hot weather lately, but winters here can get pretty cold, with deep snow that sticks around for several months. So I don't imagine it would be advisable to plant it out in the yard. Or would it? From what I read on the page about caring from chrysanthemums it sounded like it would be okay to bring the whole pot inside again and keep it in a well lit spot until the frost is over for the year. Did I understand that correctly? Sorry if any of my questions sound terribly stupid. As I said before, I know absolutely nothing about gardening, so this is all new to me. :)

Thanks again to everyone for your advice!

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
No questions are ever stupid - how else are we all to learn anything?

My mums do quite well in the frozen ground here in zone 6, where we also get severe winters with loads of ice and snow. I am not sure they would survive indoors, as some plants actually need a freezing period to thrive? Personally, I think it would be too dry inside in a heated room during winter, even if one were to water enough.

Also, when these plants are growing outside, it's advisable to cut them back twice each year. The first time, after about a month of growing, and the second time around the fourth of July. That should be the latest for cutting back. This will enable the plant to grow nice and full, and not tall and leggy. I always take the cuttings and stick them in another spot in the ground, or in a pot. They always root for me and make another nice plant! (actually several mmore plants!

Again, good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,937
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image