Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#348387 Oct 3rd, 2011 at 04:57 AM
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Basically giving the cabbage white butterflies food/shelter?
I'll be honest- I'm rather naive and thought ALL butterflies are GOOD butterflies clap And, apparently I was wrong. boohoo
I planted from seed a mesclun greens mix in my garden. I noticed little caterpillars on the mustard type greens. No biggie, just picked them off and washed the greens. But then it got really hot, so I pulled everything up because the greens were getting so bitter, but I left 1 of the mustard green plants because there were still caterpillars on it, and I figured "caterpillars =butterflies". So now i have a really large hole-y plant w/ tons of green caterpillars on it, and lots of cabbage white butterflies.
I've also been noticing their eggs around the outside of my house.
So I guess my question is: how bad is it that I have allowed them to breed?

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I confess that I like to grow cabbage/mustard family plants to attract cabbage moths...I believe they are actually moths. There are two types, cabbage whites and, I think, spotted whites, they're charming. They'd likely be finding your neighbor's plants without your help, they're prolific, and your contribution to their population is of little consequence, (or so I tell myself!) Enjoy them, but if you want to preserve some of your plants they're attracted to, use some Bt, bascillus thurengeinsis (dipel dust,) a bacterial, natural insecticide, it's non-toxic and allowed under organic gardening standards, affects only catterpillars and not beneficials like ladybugs, praying mantis, etc.
Unfortunately, many butterflies/moths require a host plant for their larva, so they are often "pests" of something or other. Some plants feed the larva, some provide pollen, expect to allow some crops to be eaten and protect others for your own use, I see it as a fair exchange! :)

dave
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
oh yeh, the second type are called checkered whites, had to strain my brain to remember.

dave
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh goodie! The guilt is melting away : )

I'm thinking of my elderly neighbor running outside with a tennis racket swatting at the cabbage moths and cursing at them this summer. He sells the cabbage for a little extra $ on the side. He grows some kind of rare Chinese cabbage that from a distance looks like a large green turkey.

haha

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
He ought to use some sort of netting on them >. Cabbage.. I did that for blue berrys.
This year I didnt .Birds eat them all.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
What kind of netting did you use dodge?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
My sis gave me somthing that looked like fishnet.

After that ,,,,,,,I juat used old lace curtins an tied them on top of the trees.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image