Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349205 Oct 24th, 2011 at 08:53 AM
OP Offline
I have been concerned about the Carolina Jasmine we planted. It was planted this March and was just two feet tall. Over the summer it grew up both sides of the garage door opening (I zig-zagged a rubber-coated cable up and down both sides for stability). Everything looked good until about 6 weeks ago. Since then, parts of the plant have turned yellow and some spots have formed on leaves. Oddly enough the highest part of the vine seems to be fine but the the lower third section is getting worse each day.
Can someone please help?
Thanks,
MT

Below are three pictures. Two more can be found here: http://www.mtjrphotos.com/Miscellaneous/Carolina-Jasmine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

mhthomps #349206 Oct 24th, 2011 at 10:12 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, mh. This plant should do well in your zone. I do not know what may be the problem with the lower portions. I do believe I would cut off all of the damaged foliage and see if it will regrow. If it is caused by a disease such as mildew or something, that could help keep it from spreading further. It will look odd for a while with the bare spots but not a lot odder than with diseased growth.
I am hoping someone will come in with a better idea of what is wrong for you and a cure.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
mhthomps #349213 Oct 24th, 2011 at 12:27 PM
My mom's CJ looks the same right now and does so every year around this time so I believe it is a seasonal thing. Hers are around 15 years old.

Last edited by twizzlestick; Oct 24th, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
mhthomps #349214 Oct 24th, 2011 at 02:26 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
This is good to know, Ts.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #349215 Oct 24th, 2011 at 10:57 PM
OP Offline
Great to know. I also think that I overwatered them up until about 2 weeks ago. It has cooled off here and I forgot to turn off the sprinkler system. It was set to water 3-4 days a week for about 20 minutes. Hopefully they will pull through.
Thanks,
MT

mhthomps #349218 Oct 25th, 2011 at 01:01 AM
[Linked Image]
bottom of the arbor

[Linked Image]
top of the arbor (even has one flower)
The darker green leaves are from the red honeysuckle
growing on the other side.

Hers started looking like this around the time
we dropped into the mid-high 30's at night. The red
dots might be a light fungal issue that only shows
in the fall but, doesn't really bother the plant's growth.
When we get our first frost it will be even more obvious.
It has done this for 15 years so nobody really pays attention
to this plant.

mhthomps #351106 Dec 20th, 2011 at 09:12 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jasmine doesn't require a lot of fertilizer, but you should plant it in moderately fertile soil. If the soil lacks key nutrients that jasmine needs to grow, it may show signs of deficiency, which frequently cause abnormalities in the foliage. Nutrient deficiencies often cause leaves to turn yellow. The pattern of the yellowing can help you to determine which nutrient you need to add to your soil. For example, nitrogen deficiency causes older leaves to turn yellow, while sulfur deficiency causes younger leaves to yellow first. Nutrient deficiencies can also cause leaves to turn brown at the tips or edges, wilt or develop deformities. Click for best organic nutrients

Too many nutrients can cause toxicity. Plants often turn brown along the edges with a thin yellow margin separating the brown from the green of the plant. This damage typically begins at the leaf tip.

Jasmine requires moderate amounts of water, and drought can also cause damage to the leaves. Leaves turn yellow and appear burned along the edges. Other problems that limit a plant's water intake can cause similar symptoms, such as root damage because of construction, soil compaction or damage from road salts or herbicides.

Last edited by Jean_Smith; Dec 20th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
#351181 Dec 23rd, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I thought too they looked fallish........Let ole mom nature have her way.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image