Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#352849 Jan 29th, 2012 at 01:33 AM
OP Offline
I had gotten a big ole ficus last year, its about six feet from the bottom of the pot to the top.

I was prepared (but sad) to see the leaf drop, I am unsure of a few things and the internet has conflicting information so I thought I would ask real plant keepers instead of relying on the how to's with a few lines of text.

When do I prune it? I live in Missouri and the winters are cold and dry, and so some of the smaller twig type branches have shrivled and look terrible and I am sure are causing the tree dis-stress.

How mush do I water it? and should I mist it with water?
I have wood heat so the air it dry in the house. I am sure this is the reason that only a few of the leaf's have started to sprout.

What and when do I feed it?? I would like a full, bright green tree it would look so lovely! What can I feed it that is organic such as stuff from my home and not the store.

How much light?
I have it in a window that is just as tall as the tree and I would say the tree gets bright, but not full sun most of the day and no morning sun at all.

Do I replant it??
being a giant it would be a job and a half to replant the beast but I will if I have to.
The plant was repotted just before it came to me about a year ago.
I have refreshed the top five inches of soil but that is it.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Yes it is the first winter for the plant or tree rather, to be in my house. I was under the assumption that it needed less water that was replied in the posts from you all so that may account for its foliage not growing back as quickly as I had thought it would.

what about trimming? I trimmed all the wrinkled dead twigs off should I do more?

Last edited by mindyrbrts; Feb 1st, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Mindy Collins
mindyrbrts #352886 Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi Mindy..I do not have answers to all your questions but I had one also and the dry heat in my house from the woodstove is what done mine in I think. Is it the first Winter for your ficus in your house?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
mindyrbrts #352938 Jan 30th, 2012 at 05:50 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Ficus tree is one of the most popular indoor house plants, but it is also somewhat finicky and requires proper care to keep it healthy and lush. The plant is probably best known for the common complaint of the tree suddenly having the leaves turn yellow and fall off, leaving bare trunk and branches. The Ficus is a member of a woody fig tree family that is native to tropical or temperate environments. They are popular not only for their foliage but also for the ability to train them into particular shapes.Ficus trees can become stressed easily and the effort of moving one from the nursery to the home or office can have ill effects even on a healthy tree. When repotting the new pot should be at least two inches wider than the old one to allow for sufficient root growth.

Ficus trees require a lot of attention to be paid to watering and humidity. The trees do best when they are watered to the point where the soil feels moist to the touch. In addition, the trees should be misted twice daily. More water and misting may be required if the trees are living in higher light conditions or at higher temperatures. One of the most common reasons for the characteristic yellowing and dropping of leaves is overwatering. Many people react to the first sign of yellowing leaves by increasing the water. This is usually the wrong decision. Before adding water check the soil with a finger. If it is moist to the touch, stop watering for a day or two and see if the plant revives. If the soil is dry, then add water. Since overwatering is often the problem it may be because more than one person is watering the plant.

mindyrbrts #352943 Jan 31st, 2012 at 12:23 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I also heat with wood. I gave up on houseplants because it is just too dry for them. Even though I keep water on my stoves all the time.
But there are a few things for general care of most plants. Always cut off dead growth so the plant can put its strength into new instead of attempting to revive the unreviveable. Most plants, even though evergreen go through a semi-dormant time in winter months. They usually need a little less watering and and no feeding during that time. Do not repot then if you can help it. Try putting containers of water near the plant (like sitting on the soil top but not in the soil).
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image