Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Greetings, I just moved into a great new house with an already partitioned (I believe previously used but not for several years) plot for gardening. There's even cool solar powered lights surrounding the plot which charge during the day and glow all night. I haven't gardened since I was about 8 (I turn 40 this year) but would love to give it a whack, especially hoping to get my 5 year old son interested as well. I don't eat as many veggies as I should so I don't know what to plant. I'd appreciate any assistance available, starting with me probably needing to till the plot, flip over the surface dirt and spread some high quality fertilized dirt before planting.

MLG

MLG
Hi Michael, As a novice gardener myself with a 4 year old, (don't worry, the experts will chime in) I suggest planting whatever sounds good to you and your son. Things that are usually easy to grow are tomatoes, squash, melons, berries and beans. Smaller varieties of tomatoes are fun to eat right off the vine. Strawberries are fun to pick & eat. Herbs can be fun and easy, too - basil, parsley, thyme. I let my daughter make some choices of her own and help with everything. You might not get perfect rows, but your son will hopefully have fun. Sprinkling in a few flowers to bring ladybugs, bees, and butterflies is exciting and great for the health of your garden.

Check out your local university extention or garden clubs or home/garden stores for advice on what grows well locally, as well as for workshops to help you get started. If you garden organically, you can be sure that there won't be any chemicals to worry about with your son. There are tons of great books and websites for gardening with kids.

You may also want to start a compost bin or pile. This will keep you from having to buy or haul in a lot of extra fertilizer or mulch.

If you wanted to, you could take photos of before, during and after and your son could help with a journal, or just keep the photos to see your progress. It's helpful to keep track of what you plant so you know what is coming up where and what to plant next time. Have fun and enjoy the process. You can post photos here so we can see, too, if you want.

Best wishes,
~Beth~

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great advice Beth...

Also take your son with you when you pick out your seed and let him help you plant them....that really gets their curiosity going thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Plant taller plants on the northern side of the plot so that they do not block out the sun from your other plants once they grow tall. :) Also, try not to over do it for your first year. It's easy to get excited and plant, plant, plant, but then after a few weeks forget or not want to take care of the garden. Start out small and over the years, work your way up. :)

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image