Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#359840 Aug 29th, 2012 at 02:59 PM
OP Offline
I have a plant that was my mothers (who has passed away) And I am desperate to keep it alive. I had it at work and it was doing great. Then someone transplanted one of their plants with gnat infested soil. Which got into my plant. So I took it home and changed the soil and washed all the roots and now when the new leaves grow out they are curled and attached to ther stem they grow from then they die. And the other leaves are dying and falling off also. Pretty soon there wont be anything left of it. Does anybody have any idea what I can do.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by imlandys; Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
imlandys #359843 Aug 29th, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Your poor little plant is stressed to the max.

What kind of plant is it and how big is it?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #359862 Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:21 AM
OP Offline
I have added a photo above. I would like to know what kind of plant is it. Thank You

Last edited by imlandys; Aug 30th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
imlandys #359864 Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:09 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It looks similar to a peace lily. And if it is not would require similar care to one. The care instuctions are here. Good luck!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
imlandys #359865 Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:50 AM
OP Offline
Do you have any idea why the new leaves are curling and attaching to the stem?
It never had white leaves on it like that though

imlandys #359876 Aug 31st, 2012 at 08:17 AM
If it comes back with a pest problem (the gnats) what you can do, rather than stress it further by re-potting) is get a 5 gallon bucket and submerge it in water. It drowns the bugs (works for aphids also) with less stress than chemicals or replanting.

The main things on them is to make sure it's not over-watered. It will look wilted when it needs water (ok to let it dry out a bit, shouldn't be saturated or watered on a schedule). I'd say it looks like it is over-watered or stressed from being moved. This can cause leaf deformity/loss.

Last edited by AshG2385; Aug 31st, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

My plant ate your honor student.
USDA zone 4b

AshG2385 #360155 Sep 12th, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Your plant looks to me like some type of aglaonema (chinese evergreen) or dieffenbachia. The whitened and curled new leaves could be caused by too little light; try moving it to a spot with more light, just not direct sun. Washing the soil off the roots is severely stressful, and is not something you should attempt (as I guess you've found out.) An easier fix for fungus gnats is to scrape the top 2" off the soil and replace with clean sand. (Sand for swimming pool filtration systems works well.) Fungus gnats are also a sign that the soil is too wet; another sign is the brown tips on the leaves. While it is true that overfertilizing can cause brown leaf tips, 99 times of of a hundred, brown tips are caused by overwater. Ags and dieffenbachia both hate to have wet feet. You need to test the soil moisture in the bottom of the pot, where the roots are, before watering. You can do this by pushing a probe - a small wooden dowel or shish-kebob skewer will do - to the bottom of the pot, then pull it up. It should have no soil sticking to it, and it should not feel moist. When the soil reaches this level of aeration, water thoroughly, meaning that water runs out the drainage holes. If you give it more light, and allow the soil to reach good aeration between watering, your plant should be ok. One more thing, don't fertilize till its completely recovered - maybe 6 months. Plants make their own food, you know; since you already put in new soil, its got all the minerals it needs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image