Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36320 May 2nd, 2007 at 08:38 AM
OP Offline
I live in Ottawa, Canada which I believe is zone 4. My honeysuckle, of unknown type although it has dark pink flowers, that I planted two years ago has never produced a lot of flowers but it has quite a few vines with leaves. It produces leaves and flowers late in the season. My question is whether or not there is something I can do such as amending the soil to help it produce more flowers. I might have planted it in a spot that is too shady too and is it possible to transplant it?
Thanks!

AvidGardener
#36424 May 2nd, 2007 at 01:19 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I have some growing in back of woods so its in all types of shade.My 'clump on a stick' is probably in poor soil,but shaded roots& dappled sun.It did better after hubby mowed it(Hence the METAL stick...we're doing damage next time HE does that.)Maybe try trimming it some.any plant would like ammended soil.you can always top dress it with some.I don't fertilize mine.

I imagine it should grow well....cause Ohio has it on the invasive plant list as an aggressive grower& parts of Ohio are z4-5.says grows 6 ft a year.I'd love seeds if it sets fruit for you.I know mine take 3 years to bloom from seed.Just your common wild honeysuckle with orange/white tasty flowers that smell very good in back of woods at night& early morning.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #36449 May 2nd, 2007 at 03:15 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you might try bloom booster to get more flowers and as njoynit says if you trim it that will usually cause a plant to produce blooms as well. I've never seen a pink one. I'm looking forward to seeing yours. Mine blooms early and it should be any time now. It's just the plan white one.

[Linked Image]
#36657 May 3rd, 2007 at 04:45 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
well maybe they will come back this year. Mine die back pretty good during the cold months.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image