Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223375 Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:15 AM
patunia Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
We have an inground pool, in a sun baked treeless back yard and that puppy would get up past 95* if we hadn't discovered the "miracle of the fountain"
the first year we lived here, we bought a small fountain that hooks up to the return jet in the pool. we set it to spray high enough to stay within the pool, and let it run all night. voila, the next morning the water temp had dropped 9*.
on a 100* day, that is significant. and each night it ran it got a few degrees cooler. the result: refreshing water to swim in, the chemicals last longer, and it slapped the algae growth back. not to mention, the longer you run the filter, the clearer the water will be. it was 100* here yesterday and the pool was hanging in there at 85 all day. i don't know why this wouldn't work as well on an aboveground. sure would be worth a try. i get up early and swim and sometimes the pool is 79-80 in the morning. that wakes me up!

Last edited by patunia; Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: uhhhhh
patunia #223378 Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:48 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
It's funny you should mention that. My neighbor has a high sprayer coming out of their return....my niece kept asking me what was wrong with their pool. lol I wondered what the benefit of that was, it sounds like there are many! thumbup

I've been running my pump all day and night. We hosed the filter off a few times......made it good as new. This week I think we'll replace it though.

I rarely get to swim in the morning because the yard is full sun until about 5:30pm. That's when I hop right in there.

Last night I went swimming in there by myself because Mark fell asleep, it's not really "fun" by yourself but I thought before long it will be winter and I'm going to take advantage of this pool everyday! grin

patunia #223379 Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:49 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Patunia ~ Thanks for opening this new one!

Loz ~ I have never seen a wall of dust coming like that! It would freak me out big time. I have seen snow coming like that across the salt marshes here and I once saw fog coming like that on the mountain in Switzerland, but never dust. YIPES! yikes

I'm glad you had the vacuum to take care of it all afterwards!

Our water at the beach stays in the 50's throughout June. It never does get too warm, even by the end of the summer. Because I grew up swimming at the Jersey shore and in Delaware, I still do not like overly warm sea water. When I'd go to Florida the water was so warm I wondered why anyone swam in it? Even so, the Gulf of Maine is a little too cold for me, but Maxi dives right in. He's always done that, since he was 10 months old. A true Mainer.

Interesting, Patunia, about the fountain cooling off the water. I wonder why that works so well?

Belinda ~ I would keep a pool in use through Christmas if I lived in an area that had 100 degree days! I wouldn't even think about taking it down!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #223380 Jul 22nd, 2008 at 11:51 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
loz ~ Too bad you can't partially shade the pool area with one of those fabric things on very high legs. I forget what they are called. Sorta like a pagoda but made of canvas. Just enough to create a little shade so you could enjoy the pool during the day without fear of burning.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #223398 Jul 22nd, 2008 at 01:51 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
it's too hot for me to want to get out there in it. Now Ashley she would love it up that long, they close them all up around here when school starts. We usually put up her big water slide when the pool comes down. She has one of those big bonzi (SP?) her dad goes down it with her but not me.

this is what she likes
the water park but it's like an hour away from here
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
don't ask me who that little boy is, we hadn't been there 20 minutes til she and him were chit chatting

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
patunia #382247 May 15th, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Well I am also preparing my semi inground pool.. the work is in process and will ready in this summer. here is a shot of working..
[Linked Image]

patunia #382252 May 16th, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Way neat Carl. We keep saying we're going to put in a pool but never do. My daughter has a salt water pool. Where do you live?

Originally Posted by Carl A. Huffman
Well I am also preparing my semi inground pool semi inground pool.. the work is in process and will ready in this summer. here is a shot of working..
[Linked Image]

I live in Brooklyn, NY.

Last edited by Carl A. Huffman; May 19th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gosh how enegetic you are.. An you must love swimming.
Only 3 pools here.. Not many swimmers . All above ground an need fences around them for protection. Law. Keep kids out.

Very nice. GIve us an update as you go. rose

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #382301 May 19th, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello, Carl.

Yes, I agree that is a very nice looking pool.

Updates of the progress would be very nice to see.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image