Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JunieGirl #416414 Sep 24th, 2026 at 11:24 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Was 57° this morning and drizzling. My kind of weather. My yard is blooming again. Watering just doesn't do the same as the rain.

Sunny, how long does a cord of wood last?



JunieGirl #416415 Sep 24th, 2026 at 11:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Well, I have an 800 square foot house, single level and I use less than 4 cords in a cold Winter. My Aunt has a split level, 2 story that is very large and they used to use 11 cords. So the one cord they are allowed means they freeze with electric heat. One cord suffices as a supplement in extreme cold and when the power goes out.

Enjoy your nice weather, what is blooming in your area at the moment?


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
JunieGirl #416416 Sep 24th, 2026 at 05:26 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Gosh that's terrible. Bet the electricity cost a lot too. I guess it gets too cold to cut another cord when needed. Has that always been the law?

As far as blooming it seems that everything that has already bloomed, because it was time, has decided to rebloom. Gardenias, lorepedlum, blackeyed susans, marigolds. I didn't think things had stopped because of the heat and drought but maybe it did.



Bestofour #416417 Sep 24th, 2026 at 06:42 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
wow, good for you, Bestofour !!


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416418 Sep 24th, 2026 at 06:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
A person needs wood to be seasoned to burn, we leave it dry for a year before using it. Too many people had chimney fires so the insurance company slowly implemented the clause. Even with the one cord allowed, it has to be a regulated, certified wood stove. So, it's either freeze and have insurance or be warm and have none. My Aunt pays about $800 a month for electric heat in Winter...and the house it cold.

Enjoy the blooms. Black eyed Susan's are still in bloom here, it takes a few hard frosts for them to die back.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
JunieGirl #416419 Sep 25th, 2026 at 01:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
So it's cheaper to pay $800.00 a month than to have a cord of wood delivered however often? I would not like being cold all the time especially if I was paying that much for electricity.

It has been absolutely beautiful today. The high was 73° and the sky was beautiful. I went to the gym and did a bit of yard work. I'm thinking about going downtown to listen to music but may stay here and work on my Bible study stuff. You guys have big weekend plans?



JunieGirl #416420 Sep 25th, 2026 at 02:24 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Bestofour, people would love to be able to do that but it is impossible to get wood in Winter. It is a fight at the moment for people to get enough wood just to get by. There are few people who cut wood for others and it is impossible to store it somewhere to sell. It usually gets delivered straight from the woods to the buyers house. It is over $400 a cord now.....then you have to split it yourself.

There are only three men in our area that still cut and sell wood, some like us cut our own if they own forest property.

Wood has to be seasoned for a year then stored in a shed, away from any weather. We had a milder winter last year but I've seen Winters where septics freeze in ground.

I'm glad you had a good day. Weekend plans? I wish, every day here is the same. Clean, cook and catch up on chores.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416421 Sep 25th, 2026 at 08:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
I do have different goings on once in awhile, but mainly for me it is like Sunny said. With the exception of Sunday each day is the same. I have to lie in bed some mornings and decide which day it is.

This weekend in particular I (we) have nothing going on. my DH is not feeling well so we will most likely even miss church.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416422 Sep 26th, 2026 at 05:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
I do hope your DH feels better soon. Man colds are harder on the wife than the husband.😉

I can't get over how beautiful the weather is here. Cool at night but sunny and warm in the day time.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416423 Sep 26th, 2026 at 07:57 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
I can't get over how beautiful the weather is here. Cool at night but sunny and warm in the day time.

Yes, I think that type of weather is how our fall used to be when I was in school. A person would need a sweater going to school in the morning and have to not wear UT in the way home.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Sunflowers #416424 Sep 26th, 2026 at 08:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Man colds are harder on the wife than the husband.😉

.

This made me smile because it's so true. The weather here is beautiful too. I ended up staying home last night too. I feel like I need to get out in the world but I really am fine at home. I'm going to move around some gladiola bulbs today and dig up that stupid place where flowers won't grow anymore. It's just curious to me what's happened there when it used to be so beautiful but I'm not with it. I'm turning the dirt over and letting the leaves lay there all winter and maybe for the rest of my life smile

Sunny, I was trying to look you up on a global map and didn't realize that Detroit is further north than parts of Canada. I've never been a student of geography. I know you don't want to say much but are you close to a big city? I'm just amazed at your winters and the fact that you can grow anything at all. I've lived in a lot of different states but when I thought about it none of them were cold states - CA, AZ, OK, GA, NC, HI, France for a while and when I realize that I've lived in only 6 states and 1 other country the fact that I went to 17 different schools proves that my parents were not stable people. Anyway, trying to find you on the map. 🌍



JunieGirl #416425 Sep 26th, 2026 at 10:54 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
I'll help you out. I live at the top right of the red province near the little dip to the right.
NB-Canada-province.png


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416426 Sep 26th, 2026 at 12:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
so if we were in the tip of main we could walk into Canada ?


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416427 Sep 26th, 2026 at 04:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
so if we were in the tip of main we could walk into Canada ?
Yes, Maine borders the left side of New Brunswick.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
JunieGirl #416428 Sep 26th, 2026 at 06:00 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
I guess I haven't been paying attention because I didn't realize you're so far north. No wonder you have so much snow. You should make a TV reality show.



JunieGirl #416429 Sep 27th, 2026 at 05:04 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Too funny Bestofour, if you only knew how boring my life really is.😉


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416430 Sep 28th, 2026 at 08:55 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
good morning to you both !! Sunny but cooler here today.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416431 Sep 28th, 2026 at 11:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
It's dreary here. Oh well, I needed a day to clean.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416432 Sep 28th, 2026 at 11:55 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
all I did was put out fresh hummingbird food and water everything.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416433 Sep 28th, 2026 at 01:37 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
I don't have Facebook but the news is out with photos of a man who lives 15 minutes from me, he went for a walk and was attacked by a bear. DD said the bear clawed his chest and tore open his scalp....yup, I'm done walking.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416434 Sep 28th, 2026 at 01:42 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
oh my goodness, I would definitely not walk again.
I guess you could walk the perimeter of your yard...not that I ever have...


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416435 Yesterday at 04:07 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
DD is supposed to send me the link later. I guess it's time to just use my stationery bike again.

It is a cold, wet miserable day. I plan to do the baking and make some freezer meals. I also have tomatoes to process. The only thing left to preserve for Winter after the tomatoes is apples, that will wait until the weekend.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #416436 Yesterday at 08:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
we had talked about getting apples but I guess that has been forgotten about. Which is just as well. He thought I should make him apple butter. For the amount he would have eaten to buy it is more cost effective.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #416437 Yesterday at 09:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Some of my family lives in Asheville, NC, and they have always seen bears once in a while but the more construction that happens the more the bears come out of the woods. Sunny, wonder what's causing your bears to come into populated areas.

Junie, that's what happened to my strawberry jam. Ginger moved to a place I only fly too, Shelley doesn't want to eat it because of the calories, my mother loved it but she died, so I stopped making it because for just me it's a lot of work and I don't need the calories either.



JunieGirl #416438 Yesterday at 09:53 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
The bears have always been around but they seem to associate people with food now. People do not hunt them anymore so the population is exploding as well. More land is being cut down for housing...it is all adding up.

DH just told me to skip the apple picking, the apples trigger his gout. Less work for me.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Yay for gout. ( is that wrong to say ?). But perhaps just freeze a smaller amount up for some sweet breads or such ??

Yes, Sheri..I agree. Glad it is not just me. I will make blackberry jam though thus next summer. To quote one of my granddaughters homemade tastes better.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Homemade definitely tastes better. I'd have to be dead not to make strawberry preserves.😄

I'll freeze a bit of apples because I like apple muffins but I do not like pie....of any kind. Yup, I'm strange.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,030
Likes: 38
Yay for gout. ( is that wrong to say ?). But perhaps just freeze a smaller amount up for some sweet breads or such ??

Yes, Sheri..I agree. Glad it is not just me. I will make blackberry jam though this next summer. To quote one of my granddaughters homemade tastes better.


[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________



Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,254
Likes: 33
Homemade and home grown are definitely better. Store bought carrots and radishes don't taste anything like a real carrot or radish and the sad thing is people don't realize it.

Pumpkin pie and egg custard pie are the only pies I love and I rarely make them because no one else will eat them and I don't want to eat them all myself. I suppose technically they are more custards than pies.

I'll bet a warm apple muffin is delicious on a cold morning.



Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,410
Likes: 67
I make a lot of muffins and loaves in Winter. You are right Bestofour, any warm muffin and hot coffee is a blessing in Winter. It is so strange because that's when I also crave strawberry jelly on toast.


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in August
Gardening in September
Gardening in October


Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,335
Posts243,546
Average Daily Posts5
Members16,003
Most Online142,934
May 16th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
Karys 1
Random Gallery Image
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1