this is the beginnings of some recipes that are in a cook book my daughter "borrowed" without asking. they are all hand written, gathered from friends and family and tried and true.

Martha's oyster dressing:
2 pans cornbread (i use 2 packages of jiffy mix cornbread) cooked.
2-3 containers of raw oysters (i get the ones from the grocery section, usually 8 oz each)
1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 2-4 stalks celery, all chopped very fine
6-8 slices of white bread. stale bread is ok
4 hard boiled eggs chopped fine (if i am making this to freeze, i skip the eggs)
2 cans of chicken broth.

saute the onion, pepper, and celery in a little butter or oil until tender. add oysters, and saute until nearly done. drain the mix, reserving liquid OR scoop mix with slotted spoon into very large mixing bowl. crumble corn bread, and break up white bread into same bowl, add eggs and mix very well. the oysters and veggies should be mixed throughout.

grease 9x13 pan (i prefer to use a glass pan) and press mixture in. warm the reserved liquid, and add the chicken broth. pour evenly over top of mixture in pan. bake at 350 until top is crispy, and the dressing is firm rather than soggy.

***NOTE: this is a dressing recipe, and should not be used to stuff a bird as it will not cook well inside a turkey.