Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#35825 May 1st, 2007 at 03:22 PM
TeriW Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a troubled Blue spruce, believed to be planted when the home was built 27 yrs ago. It is loosing needles. No visual pest on the needles. Central Oregon is very dry. Could it be suffering from not enough irrigation? Should it be fertilized? We have lived here just a year. The Spruce I recall look dry when we purchased the property. I have never had a Blue Spruce and do not know what the appearance of a 27 yr old tree should be. This tree is 50+ feet tall and prominently displayed in our back yard, I want to save it desparately.

Thank you for any help

TeriW #35836 May 1st, 2007 at 03:45 PM
Colorado Blue Spruce is not a long lived tree as trees go. It's peak is 20-25 years and then starts a decline.

If the tree has barren lower limbs consider cutting them back just to the limb collar and placing containers or hardcape in the open space.

If you decide to keep the tree as is: Water the tree before fertilizing by placing a hose on the ground at a trickle starting at half the distance from the trunk and go all the way around and out past the branches. Don't feed any plant if the soil is dry. Feed with Espoma Holly Tone if you can find it. Sprinkle fertilizer out past the dripline. Give a second liquid feeding of fish emulsion and kelp during the season. Water the tree when the soil is dry several inches down.

herbalyn #44725 May 15th, 2007 at 08:22 AM
TeriW Offline OP
OP Offline
I am sorry for the delinqent reply. Thank you for your help. Because of it's prominence we are going to attempt nursing the tree. I appreciate your input!

Teri

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image