Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48534 May 20th, 2007 at 02:02 PM
OP Offline
Anyone have any good kills for spider mites? I am at the point where I will accept anything, including chemical kills. Just wondering what is the best and most effective. They are invading my key lime trees and some other plants as well.

keylimegal #48578 May 20th, 2007 at 05:29 PM
Hello, keylimegal. Spider mites tend to get out of control because chemical alternatives kill their natural predators. Natural enemies include lady beetles (lady bugs), predatory mites and predatory thrips so release some of them where you have problems. Local nurseries, organic minded nurseries and some of the big stores carry beneficial insects this time of the year.

Alternatively, periodic hosing of plants with a forceful jet of water can physically remove and kill many mites.

If you want to apply chemical controls, select any miticide sold in local nurseries but be prepared to apply it 2-3 times (in order to kill the new borns) every 10-14 days. Apply per label instructions.

Luis

luis_pr #51165 May 24th, 2007 at 04:48 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Luis. I live at the end of the earth out here on the Outer Banks, and no stores within hundreds of miles carry any of the insects needed. I hosed the tree and have it separated for a while now anyway. I did spray it some with a mild maliathion and sevin mix. NOW my attention has turned to the d*mn aphids on the tomatoes......

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image