Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
when is it to late to plant my garden in nw washington?

I am not from there nor have I ever been there but I would figure its not to late now why dont you swing by a green house or a co-op and ask they know for shure Good luck

Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
different plants are planted at different times. So it isn't really a matter of planting a whole garden at a given time.

The first thing to do is find out what USDA growing zone you are located in.

Then find out when your last frost date is for that area.

You also need to take a soil test before you start planting. Different types of plants need different types of soils.

Also you need to watch your garden area for a few days so you know how much sun the area or areas get. Different plants have different light requirements.

Plan on starting your plants and seeds that can not handle frosts about two weeks after that. And pretty much work from there. Most seed packets will tell you when to plant according to that frost date.

If you buy live plants remember you should quarentee them for awhile before you let them near your other plants so if they have a disease/pest you don't spread the contagian.

Also remember it is necessary to harden off plants before you plant them outside.

Also some plants will need a trellis or stakes and you need to know that in advance because you don't want to be putting those aids in after the plant has developed roots. So you don't accidently damage the roots.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by NWJoyful1
when is it to late to plant my garden in nw washington?

Joyful, I live in Oak Harbor just a little bit northwest of you and last year I didn't put my seedlings out until the middle of June and had lots of squash, peppers and tomatoes.

This year I'm doing it on Memorial Day weekend. I got itchy feet though and planted some tomatoes out 2 weeks ago. Have blossoms already. grin

Good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image