Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50014 May 23rd, 2007 at 05:11 AM
OP Offline
I'm hardening my tom's off, in a small plastic greenhouse. Only trouble is, it was VERY hot this morning, and I forgot to open the 'door' (plastic zipped cover). Went home at lunch, and they're looking very sorry for themselves, as their pots have dried out, and they're very droopy.

I watered them immediately, and saw some signs of restoration by the time I left for work. Is this fatal for them, or might they have a chance of recovering this?

Many thanks.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
There is a chance of recovery. Tomatoes are very hardy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I hope they do survive, I had a right nightmare getting them to germinate! I know what you're all going to say: "toms are easy to germinate". Well, I thought so to, but this year had to try 3 times with these Tigerella types I'm trying. Only worked after the 3rd attempt! Very slow for some reason? Guess our spring was odd (quite hot in March with cold nights, and then warm in April) Maybe they didn't know what to do :-) And yes, I was growing them inside. That's why it's weird.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've never heard about Tigerella's tell me about them please?

[Linked Image]
I cooked like 20 of them a few weeks ago as well. I hope yours survive, mine did not look good at all and I was very sad for a few days. I chucked most of them away after a few days, but the ones I didn't are now growing leafs on the sides. I am hoping they will make it thru to summer and give me some 'maters. Good luck! Tomatoes can survive almost anything i guess including a snow fall just this past weekend.

Nuria
OP Offline
Not looking too bad. They were a dried and shriveled mess yesterday, but I have nice green leaves at the top, so think they might recover. Was going to bury most of the plant under soil anyway, so not to worry too much about the lost lower leaves! :-)

Tigerrela's are a strange thing. They are red and orange stripped (like a tiger) on the outside. Supposed to have good taste, and a good crop, but we'll have to see if mine decide to fruit?

Last edited by DanielNewman007; May 24th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm glad they are recovering. I bury most of mine too.

[Linked Image]
I grew Tigerella in 2005 in a 15 gallon IKEA bucket. The plant grew to about 6' and produced an abundance of salad-sized tomatoes more or less all at once. I used them fresh in combo with Green Zebra, another stripy one. I also used quite a few of them to make Panzanella, an Italian salad of tomatoes, basil, sweet onion, bread cubes, olive oil, and balsamic or red wine vinegar. They were marvelous in all sorts of salads. Keep us posted, Daniel!

Cheers,
Julianna

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

OP Offline
I'm going to be planting the two survivers out tonight! They both have nice green leaves on top now, and are even putting out green sideshoots from the dead leaves. Shame I'll have to pluck these off though, but nice to see it's recovered :-)

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm glad you were able to save a couple of them anyway. I hope they produce bunches for you.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Well that's just typical!!!

Both were planted out, and one is doing very well, already put on a lot of growth and looking very nice. The other (weaker one) has not done so well. Seems my vegetable patch (raised bed in SFG manner) has become a well used litter tray for cats! And as I've tried to cover up all the spare soil, the little 2inch square piece of soil exposed around this tom was too interesting for one of the cats, and it's dug it up trying to cover up it's business!!!!!

I've covered it up with soil, and hope that it will recover, but I think I'm hoping for too much from the poor little thing :-(

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It seems that weaker tomatoes never do as well as their big strong brothers. I guess that's why the smart gardeners don't mind thinning. I'm just to softhearted to do it. Could you use a that sharp Quartz type large gravel as a mulch for the raised bed? That would stop the cats.

Last edited by tkhooper; Jun 13th, 2007 at 04:00 AM.

[Linked Image]
on the weekends i like to get silly drunk & sit outside (yes i'm in the city) with a .22 and beer! Lets see them cats play with my garden now!!! (i am just kidding ;P )

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You can get a cat deterrant spray at local hardware stores. You just spray around the edges or perimeter of your garden.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image