Rate Thread
#52328 May 27th, 2007 at 09:24 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I saw some water hyacinths at walmart for $12.99 a plant with three 'bulbs' connected together, was wondering if it's worth it for me to get one? There were hardy water lilies for $20 and some other things for $18-$30...seem a bit pricy to me what do you guys think? I want to have a small container pond this year so I'm gathering info...I should start saving for those plants lol!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #52331 May 27th, 2007 at 09:28 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
just wanted to add in case anyone was wondering...yes i know the water hyacintha is very invasive, but our winters are so severe no many aquatic plants can say alive, even the water lilies advertised as hardy to zone 3 have died out before (on my old neighbours)

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #52339 May 27th, 2007 at 09:45 AM
I got mine for 1.99 at a small greenhouse here. You can get a ton of them for that on Ebay. It seems pricy to me. I would call small local greenhouses in your neighborhood to see what they have. They may be able to point you in the right direction if they don't sell them...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow, I got mine from the pricey nursery nearby and they were only 5.99 each there. That's way too much for a water hyacinth. shock

#53582 May 29th, 2007 at 06:28 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I think I paid about $8 for some at a pricey pond store last summe - I agree, unless the currency is that much different there, it's pretty high.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I found water lilies at Lowes for $10 and water hyacinths at a local nursery for $3. The hyacinths aren't hardy by the way, but they grow like crazy producing more and more plants as the summer goes on (they fill up my 2 whiskey barrel water gardens),then you just throw them away or compost them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #54098 May 29th, 2007 at 11:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Some of you are finding crazy good prices on the hyacinths.....The only place around here I can find them is the pricier place that sells them for $5.99 each.

Last year I had SO many from my one plant I was throwing them out like crazy---or giving them away.

The hard water lily mom got me at Walmart for five something has really taken off great! I have lots of leaves from it! clap

#54282 May 29th, 2007 at 03:53 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
About 2 weeks ago my water lilies were in full bloom, and then the next day the blooms had been chewed off by a freaking racoon! I know it was a racoon because a) it has happened before and b) I caught the little bugger in an animal trap I set next to it a day later. Last year I caught 5 racoons, 2 opossums, 3 cats, and 1 fox. This year only 2 racoons so far. And for those wondering, I don't kill them. I relocate them, illegally I might add, so don't turn me in. :-)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #54638 May 30th, 2007 at 08:54 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Guess I won't be buying those plants then, you're right the currency is that different, 1 CDN = .93 USD lroughly that's the latest rate I found on the news this morning

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image