Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53381 May 28th, 2007 at 08:30 PM
OP Offline
Is it true that you should remove all but 3 leaves on the plant in order to encourage a more abundance of produce?When is this done.Ours are in the greenhouse and starting to flower and we will soon put these in the garden.

Linda
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The only reason I remove leaves is because they yellow or brown. Usually from water splashing on them when I water. I've never heard of removing them to increase production. But I haven't been gardening very long either.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My great Aunt always removed Tom leaves---She referred to them as the "suckers" If I remember correctly she removed the "limbs" that grew out of the middle of say a 45* angle.

I have done it, but I am not totally sure of myself nervous

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
I remove about 30-35% of the leaves that don't produce, to encourage growth.. it works for me, as well.. thumbup

**Also gives more walking room in the garden lol :Lol: **

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
I"m no expert, but last year was my first year gardening. I did QUITE A BIT of reading on these forums. I was told/read that the leaves provide sun protection for the maters, which in fact they do. . . . i didnt remove any leaves at all except those that were yellow/browned. I DID in fact remove ALL sappers, as i was told they take away energy of the plant from producing fruit. So I've removed them all whenever they start growing.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've been following this post carefully. And I have a question. Which ones are the "sappers"? I only remove a leaf if it is yellowed or brown. Usually those nearest the ground where water and soil may splash on them.

[Linked Image]
Sappers are the extremely fast growing branches (actually a 2nd plant entirely imo) that grow RIGHT AT THE Y of a branch & the mother stalk. It grows at a angle, right outa the armpit of the leaf branch. It grows EXTREMELY fast, and from what i'm told, "SAPS" alot of the plants energy into making this sapper grow. I pinch em right off, cuz they require extra support methods, other than the main stalk. Some let the plant go buck wild, and let it fruit/grow like crazy. But i've heard they wind up with smaller fruits. Its all matter of preference i guess, just doing what i was taught :)

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thankyou for the information. I've seen those branches. I'll snap them off. I'm looking for good quality and quantity of fruit this year. It's the first time my plants have looked really healthy and I'm excited.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanx guys-you have been extremely helpful-will let you know what the production turns out to be.

Linda
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Thankyou for the information. I've seen those branches. I'll snap them off. I'm looking for good quality and quantity of fruit this year. It's the first time my plants have looked really healthy and I'm excited.

Quality of fruit = pinch them sappers. I check mine daily just for the sapper branches. . and get them before they get big. Last year i had some toms that were 4"+!!!! Quite big. . . but I overwatered mine & they were splitting on most of them. Quite good tomatoes though :)

GL to you & let us know ur progress!!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thankyou I will.

[Linked Image]
Yah tammy, Make sure NOT to overwater. I was watering mine every day cuz it was like 85+ every day last summer. This summer i'm going to be going every 2 days if not 3 (currently every three days now and its only upper 70's - mid 80's. I also think i'll be doing the "Water when wilted" that i've read about. Apparently this REALLY toughens up the tomato plants. . . but sounds kinda funky. I know my roses have already wilted once and theyre doing fine with a good watering.

1k Posts
1k Posts
This is a great topic! Glad I saw it, haven't been on the forum much lately, been too busy, I'm sure you all know how it can be at this time of year.

Danno this is my first year with big tomatoes and I will follow your advice on the sappers. I had cherry tomatoes last year and I just let them grow, but this year I'll be more careful, I'd love to see big fruit. I'm doing my tomatoes in the greenhouse again this year, hopefully I'll have great results like last year.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image