Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5396 Mar 27th, 2007 at 06:31 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I can't figure out the difference , aren't both of them trained to climb?????

I also have a lot of shoots coming up from the ground off the roots I just read they should be removed,, does this mean I'm to remove the soil from around roots and cut it off there???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #5616 Mar 27th, 2007 at 08:13 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
yes both will climb.
My pink is a rambler.its proably got 20 ft canes with sideshoots.I love it...but it only blooms once....but wait till you see it.

this is a flower shot from last year
[Linked Image]
Here are some heriloom ramblers.

http://www.heirloomroses.com/cgi/browse.cgi?page=cat&cat=Ramblers

Here are some climbing roses
http://www.heirloomroses.com/cgi/browse.cgi?page=cat&cat=Climbing+Roses
My favorite is Cecil Brunner.My friend missy grew 2 of them some distance apart and has a swing and table for four under it.she has her son 'Trim' the rose every year with weedeater.When I get my hands on one......I'm doing the same.I have iceburg,but its grafted into a tree form.I have a pair.
climbing roses are useually not real vigourous,but some of the ones that are hybrid crosses are bred for it.

and THIS will answer your other question
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/roses/selecting-budded.html

I personally share them or plant elsewhere.I just gave my MIL some sproutings from cane I grounded of my pink rambler rose.I know I can find you some.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #6229 Mar 27th, 2007 at 06:04 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have a lots of buds On my climbers I will take a picture of it when it gets full bloomed One side of the arch has ALOT of side shoots and is very Full where as the other side grows just straight up up and over the arch It will be a few days before it all blooms out But I difinately will get a picture!!

Thanks Njoynit Your the Best!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #7917 Mar 29th, 2007 at 06:47 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
you know epson salts& alfafa is good for roses.you can use rabbit pellets but need to be the salt/sugar free ones.I use alfala meal from feed store(I still use a 50 lb bag,but store in trash can with a lid)useing the pellots would be useing it as a slow release form.manure tea your manually releaseing.I go the manure tea route.It releases some ingredeant thats like a tall stiff drink for us.But it also makes the roses take up fertilizer better.The 1st sign you'll notice is that your leaves look healthier& you'll have more blooms.

I'm going to bring more roses back in yard.not sure I'll grow over 100 again.I've been slowly reviving a climbing new year rose

http://www.growquest.com/climbing%20new_year.htm

A few years ago the power company did some tree triming.they dumped tree limbs on about 12 of my roses.I've no idea what the blooms will look like.It cracked the bud union so I used hot glue on it after filling with wood glue.After its bloomed I'll remove it from spot I cared for it in.I'm excited cause it has a bud!!!!(most of my roses have buds right now and iceburg has 1 lone big bud)I can't wait to to see your blooms.

So what climbers do you have?I have a red climber(budding now) then my pink rambler.Ice burg is a rose tree topiary.A pink aloha rose
aloha
http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/product_info.php/products_id/4

I've tried it as a climber.Me & Carrie discussed it when she came to house,most the blooms stayed on ends...unless I kept a cane or two shorter for lower blooms.But aloha blooms its socks off.I have some aloha rooted too.I cut& stuck them 2/14.I think I had a lucky year....but the dogs are a running......lol

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #7925 Mar 29th, 2007 at 06:53 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I went to check my old photos of some of my favorites when grew them....everywhere.

<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallslideshow.swf" flashvars="playList=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2Fmeta%2F58043021bbgkSt%3Finline%3Dtrue&inlineUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.webshots.com%2FinlinePhoto%3FalbumId%3D58043021%26src%3Ds%26referPage%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fhome-and-garden.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2F58043021bbgkSt&postRollContent=http%3A%2F%2Fp.webshots.com%2Fflash%2Fws_postroll.swf&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fhome-and-garden.webshots.com%2Fslideshow%2F58043021bbgkSt&audio=on&audioVolume=33&autoPlay=false&transitionSpeed=5&startIndex=0&panzoom=on&deployed=true" menu="false" quality="best" width="425" height="384" name="WebshotsSlideshowPlayer"base="http%3A%2F%2Fp.webshots.com%2Fflash%2F" wmode="opaque" allowScriptAccess="always" loop="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macromedia.com%2Fgo%2Fgetflashplayer"></embed><br /><br /><a href="http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/58043021bbgkSt">roses in the winter</a>

boy...I just LOVE new buttons on pages I ain't been to for awhile.

njoynit #7941 Mar 29th, 2007 at 07:02 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
fun button huh....it didn't work

[Linked Image]

My only complaint on colossus the blooms are too heavy for the stems.Dreamward looks even better in person.A picture does that one no justice.Masterpiece orchid will crisp in the heat& is recovering from dog abuse in a new location(may that cedar stump knock my stupid dog out if he plows it again..........)

njoynit #8427 Mar 29th, 2007 at 03:40 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Honestly I don't know the name of either rose One is Yellow and the other side is red,, The red one is somewhat smaller rose than the yellow Pic soon .Welll that is if the thunderstorms we having in the next four days soesn't tear it (the arch) down again,,,

Oh BTW I do use Epson salt on the roses and on a lot of my plants and flowers I love that stuff,,!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #9771 Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:02 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
then you'll really love it on the roses.I'm going to do it on my brugs this year.I did in 2003 on 4 of them.

Told you them guys would bring that rain.He got in at 2 am.Tried telling me it wasn't him cause the rain came from the west (Notice....the rain STOPPED in IN where they left from.

All my roses are budded.I can't wait to see how the 3 direct stuck canes do this year.I'll wait one month and check the roses rooting again in pot by can pile.our rain was mostly durring the night.its only 71.the 10 degree drop is nice....cause not long it won't FEEL this nice till end of year.

njoynit #16361 Apr 7th, 2007 at 10:57 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit Here is a pic as the roses are blooming. I didn't get a good close pic of the arch but you can see the right side (yellow) is thicker and has lots of side shots and the
left side (Red roses) grows straight up, I don't know which is rambler and which is climber, OR names of either I just know red and yellow LOLOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #16438 Apr 7th, 2007 at 01:47 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
your yellow looks like sunsprite.whats it smell like?does it make you think of licorice?

That's a nice lil area.

this is a good spot to search roses.
http://www.everyrose.com/everyrose/roses/EveryRose.lasso

njoynit #20529 Apr 12th, 2007 at 08:30 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I came across this while looking for sis a picture.This is last year.In May.Its grown alot.
[Linked Image]

I LOST that lovely salvia cause of a dog.I wish knew what one it was.
April shot

[Linked Image]

This seasons blooms will be awesome.It has grown ALOT.

Buds on aloha are swelling.but not fast enough.

Masterpiece from last year.It got wacked by dog...so my climber is knocked back down a notch.BUT I'm training it on a tree trunk I saved from hurricane.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My MIL just bought 3 roses.
Tropicanna
John F Kennedy
Arizona rose

I'm going to buy me a Arizona rose.It smells wonderful.I'll snap shots this morning.I'm still in jammies.

njoynit #21672 Apr 13th, 2007 at 02:58 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit Thanks!!! The yellow has a slight fragrance the red Nothing Here is a better Picture with the red.
[Linked Image]

My roses are blooming bigger than ever this year This is the third year for them I started them at about 10" high .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #21690 Apr 13th, 2007 at 03:50 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Very pretty.
I had a beautiful red rambler(Don Juan), it grew along an old cedar fence rail in front, one day the fence rolled and broke it right out of the ground, I could of cried.

I planted a new William Baffin against my birdhouse pole last fall, can't wait to see it bloom this year.

Njoynit, I might have blue salvia seeds here somewhere, I planted blue and rose coloured ones last spring, I'll check. If not I'll definately have some this fall for you.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #21693 Apr 13th, 2007 at 03:53 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
Very pretty.
I had a beautiful red rambler(Don Juan), it grew along an old cedar fence rail in front, one day the fence rolled and broke it right out of the ground, I could of cried.

Tamara I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of these red ones,, Don Juan sure sounds familair! did yours look like mine??(Red)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #21699 Apr 13th, 2007 at 03:59 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looks close, they were very, very red, and spindly like that one as well. Could be.

Sunflowers #21700 Apr 13th, 2007 at 04:01 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
You know I'm thinking they may very well be Don Juan!! Thanks Tamara!!! thumbup grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sunflowers #21702 Apr 13th, 2007 at 04:04 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Is your yellow one a "Golden Glow"?

Sunflowers #21713 Apr 13th, 2007 at 04:20 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Tamara~~Noo That name doesn't sound familair * What in the heck did I do with that tag* I've done a search but the names don't stike me as the one,, I'll know it if I hear it tho I'm sure,, I have the tag around somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #22384 Apr 14th, 2007 at 09:02 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
do you think they are the same blue salvia?It stays evergreen.It's just tender to dogs.It liked my weather(was even hurricane proof!)

What did you think of don juan's fragrance?I didn't notice much on the one I tried smelling.

I'm loading pictures.Aloha looks beautiful this morning.

njoynit #22439 Apr 14th, 2007 at 10:04 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
My Duan Juan had the scent of an old fashioned rose. The salvia looks the same as I planted, I am still looking for the seeds. I have packages all over and some aren't marked. I've got to get a rubbermaid box for them, keeps slipping my mind.

Sunflowers #23007 Apr 15th, 2007 at 06:48 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
know the feeling...took me 3 weeks to find the mexican sunflower seeds.no idea why they we're on top of fridge.I love that color blue in the salvia& that it blooms so early& (after cut back)late fall.
I use one rubbermaid box.I use a few plastic screw boxes with secure shut lids.a candy container and a 3 gallon bucket.Then we have variuos iceing,sour cream,butter,prinkle snack containers& some that go in gallon ziplocks.A miricle I can even find stuff sometimes.Not to metion a baggie of seeds in butter door of fridge(poppys/clemtris.passion flowers.daylilly seeds)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image