Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joni_P Offline OP
I love Spring !
OP Offline
I love Spring !
Do you get yours at a local nursery ? a super-store garden center ? Mail order ? Are you a loyal customer to just one place or do you shop around alot ? Who seems to have the best variety ? Just looking @ what would be my best bet :)

Thanks grin

** Joni **

God is the friend of silence. Trees, flowers, grass grow in silence.
See the stars, moon, and sun how they move in silence.
~Mother Teresa~
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I get mail order, be sure they have a guarantee, nursery, big box garden departments, friendssharefriendsdivisionsfriendsgifts.
Theres a site called garden watchdog that rates online & catalog sellers.
i like Pinetree Garden seeds (superseeds.com)
white flower farm
roots and rhizomes
brent and becky(bulbs)
brecks
My secret pal sent me a bunch of seedum & worts from...uh... lemme get the catalog.......
The blossom farm (www.blossomfarm.com) that were very good specimens and doing great already this spring.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i don't do much bulbs, but if you are interested...bluestone perennials has great plants and customer service!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
500 Posts
500 Posts
I spread my money around.

I have gotten some good deals on Bulbs from Michigan Bulb. You should not buy their plants because they are to small unless you are an expereinced gardener and willing to baby them they do not survive. Bulbs are good.

Hallson good for plants. Large size like you get at your local nursery and always send bonus plant.

Bluestone as stated above.

eFlowerGarden small family good prices nice size great prices.

mc-garden-gifts.com great size plant reasonable price.

Last edited by cinta; Mar 28th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Joni_P Offline OP
I love Spring !
OP Offline
I love Spring !
thanx everyone [Linked Image]

** Joni **

~Mother Teresa~
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Bulbs I buy from Breck's they are a great company.

seeds I'm still searching for the perfect place. Some places have good prices but send to few seeds. Some places send a good amount of seeds but don't have a great selection. Or sometimes the germination rate is horrible. I know I don't buy the walmart brand anymore. And I make sure to see how many seeds are in a parks envelope before I order from them. And if the seed company doesn't put the number of seeds in the envelope I don't order from them either. That is unless someone has recommended them to me.

[Linked Image]
I know it sounds strange but a lot of my bulbs from abandon houses I pass.I wait until spring when every thing starts to peak out of the ground. Then I make sure the house is empty then go dig up what I like.Lucky for me most houses around here have been empty for many years.I also search open fields and forested areas for wild flowers to grow at home.

Joni_P Offline OP
I love Spring !
OP Offline
I love Spring !
Originally Posted by littlelizard
I know it sounds strange but a lot of my bulbs from abandon houses I pass.I wait until spring when every thing starts to peak out of the ground. Then I make sure the house is empty then go dig up what I like.Lucky for me most houses around here have been empty for many years.I also search open fields and forested areas for wild flowers to grow at home.

i just gotta giggle now cuz everywhere i've been going i've been looking for old houses w/flowers [Linked Image]

** Joni **

~Mother Teresa~
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
funny you should say that. i stopped today to take a picture and realized that the lot (which will be bulldozed to build a mini-storage) is covered in bulbs and plants.

Also' older the house the higher the chance of finding bulbs that are not common any more.The best ones are mostly over 50yrs old.I scored big with a two hundred and fifty year old house.It was in the middle of a field and took 30minutes to get to.I spent 4hours digging and had to make as many trips to carry every thing back.Score list:Spider lily,cyclmen.iris(some so purple they look black,calla lilies,foxglove,and many more but I have moved from where I was living and had to leave them behind so I can't remember what all I was able to get.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I found nice bulbs at Big Lots.......
growing too.
But tiny.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Hi everyone,

I finally got the chance to go to "Arnold's greenhouse" at Leroy Kansas. Oh my, oh my, it is wonderful! Got there 30 minutes before closing time so had to hurry. Plan to go back as soon as I get the chance. It is close to heaven I am sure. :kisy:

Bought a tree peony, thornless climbing rose, and the new peaches and cream Hollyhock.

It was a great 30 minutes.

Thanks, QuiltingMom07

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image