Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6219 Mar 27th, 2007 at 05:55 PM
OP Offline
I bought some Crocuses last fall from Walmart, along with some purple and white tulips...This morning as we were leaving for work, a few of the crocuses had come up, but didn't really look like they were about to bloom, but when we got home, our front yard was just alive with vibrant green and beautiful purple...It was a VERY welcome surprise. Just wanted to share a few...thanks for lettin me...

[Linked Image]

Look For the Good
Search For The Truth
Hope for The Best
Curious Nick #6223 Mar 27th, 2007 at 05:59 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
beautiful!!!

i luv crocus!! planted about 40 bulbs the first fall i was here...was SO looking forward to them popping up the following spring. :)

i watched, helplessly, as the holes appeared. each day another one or two. :(

altho i never saw the buggers digging them up, i'm sure the squirrels that live in the tree in the front yard ate REALLY good for a month or so!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #6241 Mar 27th, 2007 at 06:20 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by joclyn
beautiful!!!

i luv crocus!! planted about 40 bulbs the first fall i was here...was SO looking forward to them popping up the following spring. :)

i watched, helplessly, as the holes appeared. each day another one or two. :(

altho i never saw the buggers digging them up, i'm sure the squirrels that live in the tree in the front yard ate REALLY good for a month or so!

I'm so sorry the bandits got you. I will say I was very worried about them digging up my bulbs. We have an unusually high number of 'woodland creatures' for the part of the city I live in. I'm looking forward to the rest of them blooming...I dropped about 30. From what I've heard of Walmart bulbs, if I get half of those I will be very happy. :cool:

Look For the Good
Search For The Truth
Hope for The Best
Curious Nick #6258 Mar 27th, 2007 at 06:34 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if i'd known, when i planted them, that the squirrels liked them so much i would have put chicken wire or something over the bulbs so they couldn't get to them...

i did that with the tulips (cuz i knew they liked them) and they were all okay.

good luck with yours...maybe you'll get lucky and all of them will bloom!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #6281 Mar 27th, 2007 at 07:00 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Crocuses are pretty hardy so I'll also hope you are happily suprises. I got my bulbs at the Giant. They were having a sale or I never could have afforded them. It's nice that they multiple like rabbits in my soil.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #6734 Mar 28th, 2007 at 06:36 AM
I love Spring !
I love Spring !
aww so pretty !!

** Joni **

God is the friend of silence. Trees, flowers, grass grow in silence.
See the stars, moon, and sun how they move in silence.
~Mother Teresa~
#7388 Mar 28th, 2007 at 01:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Pretty, mine look just like that right now! I have purple, white, and yellow crocuses...I always love seeing them pop out first!

#18129 Apr 9th, 2007 at 07:52 PM

Mine are starting to show; isn't it amazing how quickly they pop up when the snow goes away!!

[Linked Image](click to enlarge)

They must send out growth to just under the surface before the ground hardens and continue when the snow melts.

Squirrels don't bother my established crosuses and tulips -- it's the ones I set out that are in danger.

They're so much appreciated by folks like ourselves in the snow belt!

neko nomad #18373 Apr 10th, 2007 at 06:49 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Loz you have yellow crocuses? I just have the white, the purple, and the purple and white striped ones. Is there anything I can trade you for a couple of the yellow? I'd only need one or two. They do multiple here something amazing.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image