Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2497 Mar 24th, 2007 at 10:38 PM
OP Offline
Ok so I saw a Pineapple plant today at the grocery store. There was this tiny little pineapple growing out of the middle of this plant. It said it can be either indoor or outdoor. Also the tag said it was purely ornamental and not edible.

Has anyone ever had one of these? How easy/hard are they to take care of? I just may buy one if someone can give me a hint on how to take care of it. The tag didn't say a whole lot.

Last edited by JustAGirl; Mar 24th, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
JustAGirl #2662 Mar 25th, 2007 at 08:41 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
pineapples are bromeliads. they need bright light, and i've grow several from pineapple tops (rooted, i should say) just for the heck of it.

that said, i've never grown an ornamental one before, never even seen one, but i'd guess it would be like a mini rose. basically the same care needed, just a smaller plant!

#4310 Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:24 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Here's some info
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/pineapple.html

I have a few bromlaids.I have a pineapple top growing also.its got like 4 new leaf things.I killed the one that produced fruit last year.I forgot to bring it in.
queens tears
[Linked Image]

This one sets off babies all the time
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
JustAGirl #7041 Mar 28th, 2007 at 09:37 AM
OP Offline
Wow this is totally new to me. I had no idea you could take the tops of a pineapple and root them to grow. If I don't buy that plant I just may do the tops instead.

Thanks for that info. No one has gotten another pineapple to grow from their rooted tops though? Is it possible?

You know my son once asked me if pineapple grew on trees and I thought about it and had to say..you know what...I have no idea! *L* I've never seen how a pineapple was grown before now.

I'm truly excited by the idea of having my own pineapple plant!

Now question is..do I just plant the top in soil and it will do the rest or is their a special way to root them?

JustAGirl #7605 Mar 28th, 2007 at 07:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
yes it is possible, it just takes a long time. i've not done it, but i have seen it done.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image