Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7293 Mar 28th, 2007 at 11:52 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Mom and Dad just came home from shopping and he bought me a rose called "Love". It's a Everblooming Hybrid Tea rose that is magnificent in color, form, and fragrance. Long cutting stems. Vigorous. That's what the bag says anyway. grin

It looks super healthy, and I was so excited to get it. I don't have any roses. And he told me when he was long gone to look at it and remember him! :( Awwwww.

#7600 Mar 28th, 2007 at 07:04 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that's awesome loz! i love rose bushes, and roses from relatives are perfect!

#7755 Mar 29th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
awwwwww! any plant that makes ya think of a family or friends are the best kind to have, you'll have to share pics this summer :)
whoo hoo roses! loz im excited for ya! warning roses are addictive! :)

[Linked Image]
sibyl #7765 Mar 29th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Mom and Dad grow all kinds of roses successfully without much effort. I bought one a few years back, a Queen Elizabeth I believe, and it died.... grin So I'm hoping that this one really takes off and becomes my first "real" rose in the garden!

Now I just need to find the perfect spot for it! :)

#8381 Mar 29th, 2007 at 01:41 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
oooohhhh! I just bought a Queen Elizabeth. can't wait to see what it looks like when it blooms!!!! grin

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Looks like it'll be a very pretty rose---I think when I bought mine I planted it in the wrong spot.....You'll have to be sure to let us all know how it grows for you! :)

#8425 Mar 29th, 2007 at 03:36 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Loz this rose will bring you years of Blooms!! I have a hybird tea rose and it gets stonger and taller every year!! matter of fact it has almost reached the top of my roof,, I'll take pic when more buds bloom and theres a lot of them!!! I love mine and it is in memory of my Life long friend Tonia! I talk to her all the time thru that tea rose ..Your parents made an excellent choice !!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
500 Posts
500 Posts
Loz good luck. I have planted so many roses and so far I have been able to keep 3 alive. I like the tea roses and I am told that they are hard to keep alive in zone 5-6 even though they say hardy to zone 6. I have two reds and one yellow that I have kept alive for 11 yrs now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #8647 Mar 29th, 2007 at 07:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Very, very pretty roses! Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

Diane, I'm telling ya I'd talk to it too! I sure hope it takes off well.....My neighbor next to me has struggled with roses for years...my mom across the street, has TONS of healthy vigorous roses in her yard!

I need to get some rose food!

#8676 Mar 29th, 2007 at 08:25 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
i have the queen elizabeth ! its by far my mosts stronges tea rose! it gets huge! pretty pink roses,
yep roses are BIG EATERS! and they dont like to share :)
save all your coffee and tea grounds to work in the soil, that helps keep the siol slitly acid, ive also herd wood ashes too.
im shure faye will help you along wich will make it even more special :)
dont plant it by trees! i made that mistake, and lost my jfk last year. the tree was small when i planted my roses and now its big, takin up the food and sunlight, im gonna move all my teas this year to a safer place :)
keep us updated loz and dont forget pics! :)

[Linked Image]
sibyl #8699 Mar 29th, 2007 at 10:56 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Loz, please get all the info you can from your mom and pass it on. I know winter kill mine. Do you see your mom cover her plants in the Fall? What does she feed them?

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #8879 Mar 30th, 2007 at 06:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'll find out, I know she doesn't cover them up, although most of them are surrounded by trellises and arbors so that might help some.

I'll have her post in here later on actually! :)

#8905 Mar 30th, 2007 at 08:07 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
ont see anything? must be downloading too slow :(

[Linked Image]
#14572 Apr 4th, 2007 at 05:42 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
Very, very pretty roses! Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

Diane, I'm telling ya I'd talk to it too! I sure hope it takes off well.....My neighbor next to me has struggled with roses for years...my mom across the street, has TONS of healthy vigorous roses in her yard!

I need to get some rose food!

loz I don't really even feed mine except Epsom salt in the spring and again in the summmer, sometimes I throw horticulter corn meal around the base to help with black spot and spray it with neem oil every 2 weeks in the wee hours of the AM to help control insets and blackspot/rust TX has a huge problem with blackspot because it's soo Humid here. and can have a hot rain in the middle of the day and then water sets on the leaves in the hot sun .. Right now I really enjoy My roses as the humidty isn't as bad still early for that.. Won't be long tho before I have to start up the season ritual for fighting Fungus amoung us on the roses boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sibyl #17331 Apr 9th, 2007 at 06:28 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I grew a yellow rose called 'Always love you' & 'Sunsprite'& 'golden showers'& 'golden age'.Sunsprite seemed to bloom the best& 'always love you' had the best coloring& barely faded.I'm starting to bring roses back to the yard,but don't think will get up past that 180 mark again.I DO prefer hybrid teas.My favorite climber is Cecil Brunner.Which I'm looking for.I like peachy tones too,I love the color blends(but not the striped ones)

Cinta,I like your top red shown.your yellow looks nice too.I love it when the blooms don't bend the stem.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #21675 Apr 13th, 2007 at 03:29 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Loz~~~ Remember I told you the hybird tea rose I had reaches the roof!! pretty soon I will have to prune it back. It will also reach over the sidewalk and above the roof before spring is over!! LOL This one is 4 years old
and it has the nicest smell!!!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, very pretty. Your dad is a sweetie loz. kissie

I have many roses as well but with our climate it seems only the floribundas, rugosas and ramblers do the best here, I can honestly tell you I've killed my share of hybrid teas here even the sub-zero varieties lol .

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
WOW! That is a beauty! thumbup

I can't wait to plant mine now! shots Just wish the weather would cooperate. rspb

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image