Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73664 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 12:10 PM
OP Offline
Sorry - this is another question linked to my earlier post below. Basically, I wonder if there is any way to tell the difference between a little lemon plant and a little orange plant? They both look identical to me! Inspired by the recent post on talking to plants, I asked them direct but they refuse to answer my questions and remain stubbornly, steadfastly silent!!
Any clues or do i have to wait until they do eventually fruit to tell them apart?

Last edited by starfish; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 12:10 PM.
starfish #73752 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 12:58 PM
I remember the lemon leaves to be shinier and more compact than an orange tree. The orange tree have wider leaves. But then again you have a little tree, so i dont know if a little tree would have the exact same characteristics as a regular one. Have you tried crushing and sniffing one leave of each? :)

If you haven't got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want.
starfish #73805 Jun 22nd, 2007 at 01:29 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Take a look at the leaf blade shape.

both blades are elliptical in shape.

lemon leaves have toothed margins [edges][no stipules]

orange leaves have stipules [tiny leaf structure at the base of the petiole. Petiole is the part of the leaf that connects the leaf blade to the stem.]

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #74872 Jun 24th, 2007 at 01:12 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Dulcimie & Papito! I'll have a look at them when I go back into the office tomorrow and do as you suggest.

starfish #75585 Jun 25th, 2007 at 03:59 AM
OP Offline
Well, I did my tests today as suggested. The visual tests were inconclusive – their leaves are roughly the same size, they both appear to have tiny stipule-like structures (but not on all their petiole bases) and neither have toothed margins (!?) One plant has at least a couple of little spiky thorns.
But the crush & sniff test was conclusive! The one with the tiny spikes is definitely a lemon (and what a strong smell too!). The other has an orangey smell, but far less pronounced.
The lemon appears to be growing much faster than his cousin (three new leaves in the last few days compared to two).

So, I think I now know which is which. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image