Rate Thread
#84212 Jul 7th, 2007 at 05:56 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Just am interested to know if anyone here raises Angel Wing Begonia? And what have your experiences been with that pretty plant?

And what about Dianthus?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #84454 Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:23 PM
D Offline
I grow Angel Wings in a pot. I've had the same plant for 3 yrs now and I agree it is a beautiful plant. Although it's not a major maintenance plant it does need some care and precautions. I have to make sure that it is in an area with not much traffic cuz of how easily the branches break (especially if they are long) I still have to bring it in during our not so harsh winters and it does take a beating (maybe I'll try in the house next winter) I usually get smaller plants and fill in the pot to make the longer older branches look better. I dont "baby" my plants and this one is one that I just water along with all the others. Im not into fertilizing much but I do it occassionally. I just use Miracle Grow as potting soil. Not sure if it might require a special soil. Mainly just enjoy the beauty of your plant and it will do well for u.

D #84478 Jul 8th, 2007 at 04:54 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I have dianthus. Its usually sold here as an annual. Don't tell the ones that have kept coming back for me for the past 5 years that! I have them in frost proof terra cotta pots that stay right in the garden all winter. I just took them out of the smaller pot this year, they were quite crowded, and put them in the ground. They didnt seem to mind the move at all.
here they are in the big pot in early spring
[Linked Image]
and the ones Imoved to the ground
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
#84551 Jul 8th, 2007 at 07:33 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I've seen dianthus return year after year here, and they're also sold as a annual here. I have had luck growing begonias (the potted ones you get at the florist, and the angel leaf ones), that is before I either over water or forget to water! I heard these were very carefree plants, and can survive upon neglect. When I look up info on a plant, there is site called Dave's Garden and a section called plantfiles. You have to pay to become a member, but non members are allowed to search 10 plants each day.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #84564 Jul 8th, 2007 at 08:07 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I grew beautiful white dianthus last summer in my porch garden. I planted it in those food grade plastic pots I got from the restaurant. I left the pots filled w/ dirt all winter on the porch. The dianthus came back! It must be one tough little plant to survive a Maine winter on the open porch with only a plastic clam pot to keep its little toes warm. You'd think with its oh so very delicate face, it would need greenhouse care all the year through!!

The first Angel Wing Begonia I've ever seen was in a photo Angelblossom posted for me last summer. It is a lovely, lovely, plant!

D~ I'm glad to hear it is an easy care item for you! That is the kind of plant I like best!!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #87264 Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:39 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I think I have a Dragon Wing Begonia.. in my shade garden.. I will have to check the tag tomorrow.. now I am curious.. if you want, I can post a pic for you to see if it is the same thing as what you are thinking. I just got it, so I have no idea the particulars about it.

And Dianthus.. I have three different colors..(would love to swap seeds with you Merme, I need white) and they are awesome.. so hardy, will grow in any type soil. And they keep coming back every year.

Crap, I forgot to ask you Wrennie, what is that little leafy plant in the left side of the picture of your Dianthus in the ground? The verigated stuff? I LIKE it! Alot.. Is it sun or shade?? I am watching this thread, so you can answer here and I will get it. Thanks. wavy

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Pinkhorseofcourse #90927 Jul 15th, 2007 at 08:20 PM
Hello,I also grow angel wing Begonias but mine are very tall.I had to buy a small trellis to support it.Other wise its very easy to care for.But be a where the get very tall my god mother has one that is about 4ft.

littlelizard #91845 Jul 17th, 2007 at 06:56 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Here is my angelwing.
flowers/June142007AngelwingbegoniaLucernia.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
Its a controllable size currently.The tallest I've had it get was 2003 and was almost 9 ft.I have to watch the wind durring the summer.supposedly it can't take temps below 50,but I use to store it in cold GH& when get freeze warnings drape a sheet over the porch light with this plant underneath.I kept it in kitchen last year in corner.I'll fertilize it in winter time till christmas cause will get lighter colored blooms,than what you see in photo.then I'll start up again in Febuary.It will grow larger given a larger pot.SIL has hers in hanging basket and keeps it trimmed to grow in that hanging basket.

I've grown dragonwing begonia also.I've grown the red& the pink.I'd like the red one back.It got lost and when found it in GH was already dead beyond saveing.I had planted the pink in ground in shadebed.I had been covering it with leaves in winter and the trays they sell the small containers in and had done fine.I think my big dog ran through and knocked the tray off,so the frost got it.

I have grown some dianthus.If keep spent flowers off it will almost bloom all the time.It does better for me in winter/fall/spring& just sits there in summer.It gets real hot here at times.some annuals just don't kinda take a vacation.I grew sotty once& wish I'd cared for it better.Have not seen one since.It has burgandy red flowers with purple foliage.Bluestone perrienials carried it about 4 years ago.they grow the newer stuff I guess& its not 'new' anymore.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #91987 Jul 17th, 2007 at 10:00 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
oh
woody stems root easier than the younger stems.just stick in water.

I useually need help tilting and getting all the stems through door intact.Its not easy moveing a plant taller than a door...being carried weighing about 50 lbs through a door.I'm lucky to have french doors.If needed I can open both sides.I will likely keep in gameroom this year...as long as plant is not used as ashtray.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #92351 Jul 18th, 2007 at 04:13 AM
The Angel wing I have now is only a 2ft. I took it as a cutting off of my god mothers plant. It grew very quickly,I've only had this one for 5 months now.They grow fast.

Merme #93823 Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:52 AM
nooo I raised an Angel Wing Begonia as an indoor plant when I was living in RI. It hung from a window with partial sun. I watered once a week, never gave it plant food and it grew down to the floor. They're beautiful! Good luck on yours.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image