Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85041 Jul 8th, 2007 at 04:15 PM
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello!
So i was so excited when I drove by a local grocery store and their lawn center was having a 1/2 off EVERYTHING sale. So I bought myself a pretty hibiscus tree for my teeny tiny little deck/porch. The plant looked completely fine out in the parking lot ( where I have to say there was no shade and it was disgustingly hot out). I get it home and put it on my little porch ( where it gets LOTS of sun, but where all my other potted plants are fine) and i plan on repotting it ( cuz the black plastic buckets they come in aren't quite the aesthetic I'm striving for) but I need to buy potting soil and after a couple days it started looking bad- leaves yellowing, buds & leaves dropping, but it still was blooming. I couldn't see anything physically wrong with it, so I thought maybe it was just shock from moving or it was too hot ( 90+ degrees is pretty hot)
so i brought it inside. It seemed like it was doing well- most of the leaves/buds had stopped yellowing/dropping and I had tons of blooms last week. Then it started looking crappy again-yellowing leaves, ALL buds dropping, so i checked for buggies. Sure enough- SPIDER MITES!!!!! (GRRRRRRRR) : ( I always seem to have a problem with those.
So now I have brought this poor plant to my dad's house to keep it outside and spray it off.
has anyone else had this problem or ......well, any suggestions? I thought this was supposed to be a full sun plant, and I am also worried about repotting it if it is already traumatized. Should I wait?
Help : )

lilitu #85047 Jul 8th, 2007 at 04:20 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi!! Seems spidermites are infecting plants across the board this summer! Well IT has been moved soo mmuch it needs time to adjust to just one area,, the only thing you can do is wash off each leaf top and botton to get the mites off! I would go ahead and repot it and give it a doze of superthrive if you have any and set it inn [partial sun) they like to be feed too BUt wait untill it has adjusted to the the pot! I'm sure some one will come along and add to this!!
Good Luck!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Hi lilitu,

Like angelblossom said, you can wash off the mites. I had three tropical hibiscus plants last year that reached 2 to 3 feet tall and I kept them indoors in giant pots because people barely survive the Minnesota winters let alone plants. I left them outdoors over the summer and when they were brought indoors near the autumn, the leaves did yellow and fall off some. Once they got adjusted though they were just fine. And yes, I had the spider mite problem too. I used an insecticide called Garden Safe for Houseplants and it worked pretty well but you'll have to respray every so often. One very disgusting problem I wasn't expecting though.....millipedes!!!! After I brought the pots indoors over the winter, hundreds of various sized millipedes crawled out of the pot at night and roamed the floor! Thank god I have light colored laminate flooring and was able to spot them. So beware!!! - Tracy

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image