Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27586 Apr 20th, 2007 at 12:23 PM
OP Offline
My Japanese maple tree is not doing so well. Three summers ago the cicadas were out so I covered the tree to protect it. Last summer I added onto my deck, right over the tree. At the beginning of this spring we had warm weather than it was freezing weather for two weeks. Now, all the leaves are droopy and some of them are shrivled. Needless to say, this tree has taken a beating. What can I do to revive this wonderful tree?

What is the age of the tree? If its a dwarf ornamental it needs partial shade, it's an understory tree but deep shade would not be ideal. Were tree roots compacted and trampled with deck constrution? Is it getting enough moisture? For now, leave the tree alone, see that its getting enough water but don't feed it.

First and foremost do not overwater the tree. Give it approximately one hour of early morning Sun per day until it responds.

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Jan 19th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
What color is the deck, and is it reflecting light and heat back up to the underside of the leaves?

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Coast Redwood Photos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,886
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image