Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9445 Mar 30th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
OP Offline
Has anyone grown these before? I started my seeds last week and they took off pretty good already. Last year I tried the Ultimate Opener tomatoes and they were good but I never got close to the 57 day maturity Shumway claimed they had. :mad: Any feed back would be good. The Oregon spring are supposed to be 60 day maturity.

Soilmover #10379 Apr 1st, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've never heard of them but I look forward to hearing about your success.

[Linked Image]
Soilmover #10720 Apr 1st, 2007 at 01:00 PM
OP Offline
I will let you know how they turn out. For the first time ever-I am trying more than one kind this year. I'm trying Mortgage lifters, Heatlh Kick Hybrid, and Raad Red also. But I wanted something early so I thought the Oregon springs would be a good fit. Just hope they mature early or I'll have tomatoes by the bushel all at the same time!

Soilmover #10728 Apr 1st, 2007 at 01:32 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I can't wait to hear about those variety's too...
Keep us posted...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #11320 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 05:58 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Funny, I just suggested this variety to Merme for their short season.
I'm in zone 5 and summer before last I had some success with them. They were the first to ripen. The ones I grew were Oregon spring Bush. are yours a bush variety?
What zone are you in? Try a wall-o-water or greenhouse to speed them up early in the season.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Soilmover #12150 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 05:32 PM
OP Offline
thanks for you input-they sound promising. I believe they are bush(description said determinate) They were advertised as "compact plant".

I'm in zone 4 or what was zone 4-somebody told me they changed them, but I'm still going by the old zone standards anyway. I'm not very old and I remember we've gotten some late hard frosts not that many years back.

I've seen the wall of water devices in Johnny's catalog. Weren't sure what to think of them.

Last edited by Soilmover; Apr 2nd, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
Soilmover #30310 Apr 24th, 2007 at 07:25 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Amigate/Pat has some of those Wallowaters,
he just got them..
If you do a search on here, type in Wallowater
I believe we've got a post he started..
Take a peak around and see if you can find them..
If you can't, give a holler and I'll hunt
them down for you!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Soilmover #32163 Apr 26th, 2007 at 08:13 PM
OP Offline
Triss-thanks for the input. They sound very promising from what you've said. All the seed germinated so I have more than enough. The extra's I share with gardening co-workers. Right now they are getting very big under the florescent light. About 4-5 inches tall. Weather should be warming up here soon so I can get them planted. Garden has been tilled and fenced just need warmer soil temps.

Weezie I'll search for the wall o water info, but their not in the budget for this year. I'll just get by with my plastic milk jug covers until the plants out grow them. Hopefully next year the funds will be their to get some wall of water covers to use.

I'll keep an update on these Oregon Springs as the season goes on.

Soilmover #69703 Jun 18th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
OP Offline
Just a quick update on these: they are doing great and have been busy catching up size wise to the free trial "Big Red" tomatoes I started from seed that I got with my order from RH Shumway. They are a small low bush currently and started setting lots of flower this past week. I hope to start seeing green tomatoes soon. So far this is the earliest tomato I've ever had. Never before has any plant set flowers this soon in the season. Its been increadibly hot the last week and hadn't rained much at all since Memorial weekend so I try to feed them with water every 3 or 4 days. Ground is so dry the water doesn't last long but they still seem to be doing great. Hope to be biting into some Oregon's in a few more weeks! grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image