This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#108867 July 9th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
Vanessa, I had a neighbor one time that had a Great Dane and a St. Bernard that she kept as house-pets. They were NOT house-trained, though. I didn't visit her home very often. laugh

Mike, the pics don't load for me, either. Where are they hiding?

Dianna

#108868 July 9th, 2005 at 11:54 AM
dont know have to ask hostess i guess i see them fine.mabe there to large ask bill or the hostess to check on it there there i promise.i am looking at them now.if we cant find them i will try reposting them but smaller ok.your friend in gardening mike57

ok it has to be the site i just whent to the bird house guords and 2 of my photos there where not showing up.heres the photos again but there real small cant see them very well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
hope they show up now.

#108869 July 9th, 2005 at 06:46 PM
C
C
Vanessa, 13 yrs is great for a dane, I sure hope my two live to be that old. Their short life span has to be the biggest down side to danes. Mine are house dogs and people are surprised to see them inside. We also walk them a mile and a half every evening and we always get weird looks and the typical "who is walking who" or "you got a saddle for that thing" comment. Or someone makes a remark about us walking our cow (since August is a harlequin). They are wonderful with our grandbaby, our pup just loves her. The fact that she always seems to have something to eat doesn't hurt either LOL.

They make great pillows:
[Linked Image]

Woody watching the yard for birds:
[Linked Image]

Daisy (who thinks she is a dane, we don't have the heart to tell her she isn't) and August dressed up for halloween:
[Linked Image]

For anyone who knows a dane, this is a typical nap, even better because mommy stripped the sheets for washing:
[Linked Image]

#108870 July 9th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
For anyone who knows a dane, this is a typical nap,
Yep! Mine used to sleep with me when I was a kid...on the top bunk bed!

Vanessa...They were so lucky to get the little quaker back. I hope if Lola ever gets out I can be so lucky. My ex-stepdaughter tries her best to let Lola out every time she comes here. She hates Lola with a passion. I finally went totally OFF on her a few days ago, and told her she was not welcome here and not to come back.
thumbup

#108871 July 9th, 2005 at 08:17 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
P.S.
My Great Dane (Jessica Duchess Of Laurel) was brindle, too!

#108872 July 9th, 2005 at 08:20 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Mike57...
I see all your pics now...the big ones, too.
They are awesome!

Aren't those macaws beautiful?

#108873 July 9th, 2005 at 08:36 PM
HI Afgreyparrot i am glad you can see my photo now.yes the macaws are very beautiful birds they have free rome of the zoo its all open and they stay there all over the place.that grey you have is also a beautiful bird i bet you got it spoiled right lol i know i would.hope you injoyed the zoo photos.your friend in gardening.mike57

#108874 July 9th, 2005 at 08:44 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
i bet you got it spoiled right
More than I care to admit.
She's sitting on my shoulder right now, as always.
She eats at the table with me, takes a shower with me everyday, has her own bedroom, has her own living room with a 31" TV for cartoons (in front of a HUGE cage that she sits ON not IN), I ordered over 50 bucks worth of treats for her yesterday (you should see her when the Fed-Ex guy comes to the door! She goes crazy!).

She's my life.

#108875 July 9th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
lol@ you and your bird sound like you defanatly have her spoiled rotten from the sound of it.guess shes the boss to huh?lol but sound like she loves you a lot they sure can be very good company.your friend in gardening.mike57

#108876 July 10th, 2005 at 02:34 AM
S
S
I just had to chime in this thread too!! I have a Blue and Gold Macaw (Koko) a Vosamari Eclectus female (Olivia) a Jenday Conure (Sunni) and a Quaker (Hishee). I was reading about the rescue, I have done so many rescues with birds, my last was a breeder with over 200 birds, the owner got sick and his partner just left the birds to fend for themselves.. well they did, I had parakeets eating their own siblings in order to stay alive, I had to hand feed quaker and ringneck babies and a couple of zebra finches thrown in. Just have to throw in how very cool those finches were, if I didnt already do cat rescue I would have kept those little ones. My Koko was from that rescue, They were selling her to a lady that her only experience with a large bird was when Koko sat on her arm at a bird show ( anyone who knows birds knows that when not in their own habitat they are very well behaved) She also had 3 small children. Koko is NOT for an inexperienced bird owner, I have quite a few scars from her beak while trying to earn her trust, anyway when it came time for her to pick Koko up Koko was being her usual self and kept lunging at the woman in full attack mode, needless to say I ended up paying the woman what she had paid for Koko. Now Koko is my very best friend.. but it was alot of work!
Didnt mean to write a book but this subject is very near and dear to my heart, not just birds but all animals, we are a throw away society, I have 40 cats that were throw aways, they are all fixed and they get their shots every year, in my rural area there are "free kittens" signs up everywhere so the cats that are here will most likely stay forever. Better stop now...~Stepping off soap box~

#108877 July 18th, 2005 at 09:20 PM
I use to have a cockatil her name was shelia(I have pictures to scan sometime.Debra had pictures from when she had her,before I got her)she was free range also.her cage was left open all the time.she was really a trip,I do miss her still.I almost took a african grey but was worried about move to TX so said no.I have to agree with the free range.I always clipped shelias feathers so she was safe.I think I'll just enjoy my ducks for now.believe me 3 ducks moulting got lola beat ANY day.
(I once had my AC dude come out to service my AC that froze up....cause my bird shelia was moulting!!!LMAO)

#108878 July 28th, 2005 at 08:42 PM
S
S
I've wanted an Umbrella Cockatoo since I was about 12 years old. My mom said I could get one as long as I paid for it, which at the time, meant getting a job. Well, naturally that never happened, but instead I did research on the birds (and parrots of all types). I hope that one day (I am 19 now) I can have one. They are the sweetest most kind and loving birds I have ever seen.

My oldest brother had a friend who had a blue and gold macaw, a cockatoo, plus various other small parrots and other "rodent" animals. He would clip a leash to their Identification rings on their legs and take them outside to play with him and their toys. The birds loved it. I suppose I should specify that he only took out the largest two birds. He had a specially built railing around his deck so that the birds could go just about anywhere they wanted. He clipped their wings, so that they couldn't fly off, so instead they just walked around. It was so neat!

Maybe you should try that with Lola afgrey! I bet she would like it as long as you stayed close.

My brother also had a Green Winged Macaw (the largest captive bird allowed as a pet in the US, or at least NE where he is) He had to give Chulita (it means pretty little girl) away because he got too expensive. Yes, I meant to say he not she because Andy had him tested and it ended up that he was a male with a female name haha. I should add that he tried to keep him, but he had to switch apartments and the new one took nearly all of his cash, so andy didn't have the money to take care of Chulita and rather than let him starve, he gave him to a friend who has another Green Winged. They ended up being one male and one female, and now they have eggs!

I'd still like to have a cockatoo at some point, I just don't know when....I have time, I am only 19 now

Sorry about the book!

#108879 July 28th, 2005 at 10:24 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Suzi...
Glad you are doing your research before getting a big parrot. The post a little above yours by Shiollie was heart-breaking...I couldn't even reply to it when I read it, because I was crying so hard. I could really go off about people who abuse parrots. They aren't meant to be pets, anyway...they are wild animals that belong in their natural habitat. For that reason, I didn't want a parrot when my husband got Lola. He insisted.

I hate to see a bird in a cage. That's why Lola is out of her cage all the time...she hates being in it, and I hate to see her have to be put in it. But, when I have to leave for the day, which is very rare, she has to go into the cage. It's huge...almost 5' wide I think...but that doesn't matter to her! She wants OUT! As soon as I get home I go straight to the cage and get her out. If I even go into the bathroom first, she starts screaming, "HELP! Get me out of here!" laugh

Lola's wings aren't clipped, and I wouldn't attach anything to her ID bracelet because I've heard too many horror stories about people that do that, then the bird gets startled and ends up breaking it's leg when it tries to fly. There was a beautiful cocktoo at the vet's office once when I was there, and it had only one leg because of this. It broke it's leg so badly that it had to be amputated. ters

Glad you know already that parrots are a big expense...so you won't be surprised after you get one!
And, did I mention MESSY??? laugh
It's absolutely AMAZING how far a parrot can sling banana pudding!

Good luck with your Cockatoo when you get it.
I've heard they are very affectionate parrots...and love to cuddle!

Cindy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard