This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#109727 July 15th, 2005 at 07:41 AM
I'm not upset if they die instantly.

I didn't know.

#109728 July 15th, 2005 at 07:55 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
It's funny, though, isn't it, duckie, how people are so USED to things in their regions?

You're way out in Missouri (beautiful countryside, I always thought!) and I'm SUCH a beach bum. You probably are used to doing all kinds of stuff that I haven't even thought of and vice versa.

I'm surprised to hear you can even BUY lobster where you are! Have you ever been to the ocean, by the way?

Merme

#109729 July 15th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
This has been a most interesting thread to read, as I am heading up Merme's way in 2 days! My daughter and I are going with my parents, sister and niece to Maine for a week - they've all been many times before - we have never been there before!

One of the reasons they like to go there is for the lobster and seafood. I've been talking to Merme about the water problems and how it's affecting the seafood there - hope it isn't too much of a problem where we are going... :p

It will be slightly over 5 hours drive in my car
with my currently tempermental 15 year old -
the others will be in my parents' car - wish me luck?

I'll let you know how the seafood was when we return -
behave everyone while I'm away! laugh

#109730 July 15th, 2005 at 08:26 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Lynne, be sure to have your daughter stick her foot in the ocean, and you too. Legend says that if you put your foot in the sea, you'll be promised a chance to return again, like the tides...

I wish you well on your journeys, my friend. Traveling mercies, always.

Merme

#109731 July 15th, 2005 at 08:34 AM
Thanks so much, Merme! kissies

We'll definitely be sticking our feet in the ocean - and my daughter will be doing a lot more than that, providing the weather is good - she is addicted to the ocean and has been begging her dad to teach her to surf. He won't be along on this trip, though, so that will have to wait for another trip.

#109732 July 15th, 2005 at 08:38 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
Under the sea......under the sea
darling its better down where its wetter
take it from meeeeeeee

And I still like to eat crab and venison

#109733 July 15th, 2005 at 08:53 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Fernie ! You crack me up, girl!

Uh, Lynne, tell your daughter that the Gulf of Maine isn't the ideal place to learn to surf.

The waves you see, hit our beaches too gently to make for good surfing. Our surfers wait until January and go out in special suits. Crazy folks, they are!

Our beaches are ideal for boogie boarding and body surfing, walking to get your toes wet, picking up shells and having clam bakes. Remember the water is COLD all summer long.

Merme

#109734 July 15th, 2005 at 09:13 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
body surfing is FUN!! I learned how to do it on river rapids. YOu don't want to surf no class C rapids however. And the water is COLD too but it is still so fun. I shocked my neices and nephew when I turned 40 and taught them all how to body surf a nice little wicked rapid by our family reunion camp site. (I made them wear life jackets). Aunty Fern was the coolest that year. There was one swimming spot and this doof ball of a head college coach came out there fly fishing amongst the kids!! So he listened to AC/DC at bass speaker thumping, breast bone vibrating, shake your booty, make you temporarily deaf decibles. Gee my boom box would only sit nicely on a rock right behind him for some reason. He soon left. And Aunty Fern was the coolest again! My family bought property for our family reunion and it has a river too but a nice little lazy stream that only comes up past my knees. No body surfing here but we can cool off and that is the only way I get to be the coolest now. laugh laugh laugh

#109735 July 15th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Every time I go to the Gulf of Mexico fishing people are body surfing or as it is called now adays tempting the sharks.
which last time I went caught a 4 foot shark that was a thrill landing him loved every second of it. Next time we go we plan to go about 200 miles out cathc some good big ones out there.
Shoulda been a sailor but no water in the desert laugh
Jimmy

#109736 July 15th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
Our beaches are ideal for boogie boarding and body surfing, walking to get your toes wet, picking up shells and having clam bakes
oooooooh, Merme - is it good shell seeking there?
We LOVE to collect shells! cool

#109737 July 15th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Some beaches, such as Kennebunkport, Pine Point, etc are excellent for sand dollars. But you must go out in the early dawn after the night waves have washed them ashore. Because by after 6 AM, the professional shell seekers clean the beaches before the tourists can arrive by 9....

Merme

#109738 July 15th, 2005 at 10:17 AM
I'd love to find some sand dollars - I think I've only found one in all my years of shell seeking!

By the way, I'm trying to access the link you gave me for Ogunquit, but it won't go through - any idea why?

#109739 July 15th, 2005 at 10:49 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
I actually heard a documentary on lobsters on the radio last year at work on the Dian Reem show. The lobster expert guy said that if you cut a lobster's leg off, it'll grow another leg, and if you cut a lobster's eye off, it'll grow a leg... out its eye... ya i thought that was weird >.<

I live on the seacoast here smile I can't really go in the ocean unless its at least 80 out though >.< I don't hold body heat too well, being so tiny, so ya, its very easy for me to become a Phoebsicle o.O

I watch Lisa just jump right in all the time though lol. Chris and I just kinda whimper at the shore line when a wave touches our feet laugh And if i do get in, i have to do it gradually >.o like, my body has to get used to the cold ocean water of death before i can even think of swimming around in it lol. I'd like to try swimming in warmer ocean water ^.^

~Phoebe

#109740 July 15th, 2005 at 10:50 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Nope, but type in Ogunquit Maine Chamber Of Commerce in your search box and you should find a direct link to it.

Merme

#109741 July 15th, 2005 at 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Nako:
I actually heard a documentary on lobsters on the radio last year at work on the Dian Reem show. The lobster expert guy said that if you cut a lobster's leg off, it'll grow another leg, and if you cut a lobster's eye off, it'll grow a leg... out its eye... ya i thought that was weird >.<
That IS weird, Phoebe! Like you, I don't do swimming at the ocean. The water makes my skin break out and I get a bad case of the itchies. I do love walking on the beach, though. Something about the shore just calms me right down when I am all astir.

Dianna

#109742 July 15th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
I'm in total agreement with you, Dianna! I don't swim in the ocean, but LOVE LOVE LOVE to take long walks along the edge, and shell seek. You're absolutely correct about the soothing action of the waves breaking on the beach. This trip is perfect timing for that right now!

#109743 July 15th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
Lynne, by the time you get out of the car with your 15 year old, I am sure you will need a walk on the beach. Isn't that age just loverly? grinnnn

Dianna

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard