This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#118083 May 4th, 2005 at 05:13 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I got a pet duck.hes a Peking duck.named Tex.Anyone else ever had a duck?

#118084 May 4th, 2005 at 06:46 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We had a bunch of ducks growing up when I was a kid..
Here's the kind we had...
White Pekin Ducks and White Muscovy

Are yours the same?

Weezie

#118085 May 5th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
njoynit!!!
I have missed you! eek

Why, of course afgrey had a duck! laugh
We always lived in the city until I was 12 years old, then moved to Kentucky. Talk about culture shock! shk (This was WAY different than Washington, D.C., or Norfolk, Virginia!)

Well, of course, everyone made fun of our "accents" ("Ya'll ain't from 'round here, are ya?"), and our lack of knowledge about farm animals (yeah...but I ended up getting milk out of that cow finally!)

So...we got 2 duck babies.

We would have done a lot better with our "duck farm", but we lived right smack in the middle of town...2 blocks from Main Street! (He!!, we didn't know any better!) laugh shocked
We bought our ducks (appropriately named "Daffy" and "Donald" :rolleyes: ) a nice little plastic swimming pool to call home, when we had decided they were big enough to go outside! (we could NOT paper train those things in the house!)

They soon outgrew the plastic pond, so we bought a bigger one. Much better!

Well, these ducks were raised by city slickers (that's what they called us when we moved here), so they ended up as pets. Actually, they thought they were dogs! They would follow us everywhere we went. When we walked to the store a block away, Donald and Daffy tagged right along, and waited for us in the creek beside the store. Sometimes when we were ready to leave, they wouldn't get out of the creek. So, we'd leave them. Man, when we got about 100 feet up the road, those sissy ducks would start running after us, making loud "duck" noises that meant "Wait! Don't leave me!"

It finally got out of control when school started, (this was back when kids walked to school!), and the ducks would follow us to school.
So, to make a long story sad, we ate the ducks.

I'M KIDDING! ! ! ! ! ! !
laugh

We took them to my uncle's farm, and they lived many happy years on a huge pond!

The End!

#118086 May 5th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Our duck was named Donald too!!
His girlfriend's name was Queenie!!!
She had a big boof on top of her head of feathers.
*hence the name, Queenie, she looked like she had a crown on..*
But I loved those ducks...
so cute..
*The White Muscovy's were butt ugly...
*well, the babies were cute until they got that
red mask on thier faces... the girls weren't too bad, but the males were, butt ugly!!!* kissies cool

So, what did you get, Njoynit, a boy and a girl?
Two boys, two girls..??

Weezie

#118087 May 5th, 2005 at 03:44 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
From best I can tell searching online....I believe I have a male..so his name is correct at least as far as I know.(His butt feathers don't curl up)He won't follow me yet,but Indy is following Debra..who is likely female.her butt shaped different has a kinda curl to the tip.They still got the yellowish stuff& debra says they will lose that.shes had one before up Indy,but was younger than these& she keept for 4 months& she had a leash.mines got less yellow& seems his beek/feet are darker,but not quiet orange yet.He likes to sit in my hair& is quiet the wildman.he nibbles my ear& his nibbles don't hurt yet,but Indys does.she was tugging my skin on my legs& shes fasinated by my rings& likes to grab cigg butts out of ashtray& she tried to drink my beer.
Hubby has already told me he ain't staying in house.I'm still working on a diaper so not have to pay $30-$50 for one.I'm going with a overall type,but when he shakes his butt it shifts so will try some elastic from old underware.I tried the plastic baggie with scotch tape and he wabbled it off,then tried rubberband& it rolled down butt,then he played with it.I've been useing my old black pre formed pond which is enough for now& when cleaned my filters out of big pond let them swim while I.Tex ran up& over a lilly pad& will get a larger pool just for them(no way to filter their crap from my pond& i've already felt the bottom & next nice steamy day will be grabbing yucky stuff off bottom.
He sleeps in laundry basket at night and for quiet time(he's not even QUACKING yet!!)It sits on top of dryer with towel in& over top and I keep just water with him at night,cause the 1st night I'd swear he sleept in his feed bowl.He woke up and was in my kitchen sink getting cleaned at 4:30 with hubby yelling if he didn't get no coffee Tex would be duck soup.He even CALLS him duck soup& is wondering how deep fried duck would taste.
I'm still reading up on my duckie.He don't like rough roads...he complains the whole way to bus stop& he goes in circles alot.stands in water bowl to eat feed stands in feed to drink water.my cat tried eyeballing him and I decided to deck his head into the floor.He got the point.He runs from duck now. My lil B**** got pecked by Indy and all she did was lay there,so she really avoids duckie now.He chases her.country ho keeps wanting to sniff its butt,shes undecided.Bassett hound checked out when 1st brought home since then mostly ignores him,but did say was not shareing dog food.My rotti had thoughts till got nose hit by me.totally ignores now.

Cindy I figured ya may have done the duck thang...I was gonna e mail ya about dipers.figured ya may tried on Lola.I found a site that has flight suits for lola!$20& for $99 they will do 6 suits
http://www.flightquarters.com/index.html
I'm on my 2nd try& will be adding elastic to see how that does& may need trimming some more.

Here's links I've ran into

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Park/5397/

http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/facts/ducks.htm

About why NOT to be feeding bread to ducks.
http://www.liveducks.com/bread.html

The best fact sheet I ran across.
http://www.liveducks.com/care.html

#118088 May 5th, 2005 at 04:01 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I swear, njoynit, you just made my DAY! laugh

I love reading your stuff!
You are the coolest! thumbup
You just made me laugh so hard...picturing all that!
[Linked Image]

Cindy

#118089 May 5th, 2005 at 04:10 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
with hubby yelling if he didn't get no coffee Tex would be duck soup.He even CALLS him duck soup& is wondering how deep fried duck would taste.
Everytime I Googled for a picture on the duck,
I kept getting Chinese Food places and how
to cook duck. :rolleyes:

Weezie

#118090 May 5th, 2005 at 04:24 PM
njoynit, that was a great read! I was laughing while I was reading and Angel (my furbaby) was looking at me like I was crazy! laugh

Tell your hubby that duck meat is very greasy. It wouldn't be good for his cholesterol. wink

I never knew that feeding ducks bread was wrong. Thanks to the article you linked up, I will not be feeding any of them again. I didn't know I was hurting them. grinnnn

Dianna

#118091 May 5th, 2005 at 04:48 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Everytime I Googled for a picture on the duck,
I kept getting Chinese Food places and how
to cook duck.
laugh laugh laugh

Putting a diaper on Lola..... nutz
I DON'T THINK SO! ! ! ! ! ! !
I would have several missing fingers if I tried that little stunt!
(Thank God she is potty trained!)

You should have seen me trying to invent pants for Angel while she was in season.
Pants never worked for me, either! laugh shocked lala

#118092 May 5th, 2005 at 04:59 PM
shk laugh laugh laugh

Dianna

#118093 May 5th, 2005 at 05:40 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
lala

#118094 May 6th, 2005 at 04:52 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
but we lived right smack in the middle of town...2 blocks from Main Street! (He!!, we didn't know any better!)
I grew up in downtown Tulsa (Oklahoma) and we had guinea hens in the back yard. My dad thought they made a better security system than a dog did. There was an alley next to our house and wine-o's would get souced and walk down the alley, the guineas would be up in the trees and start the biggest comotion...you talk about a bunch of drunks freakin out! laugh That was our entertainment! Dad liked to keep about 10 or 12...but the trash men kept taking them home to eat!

#118095 May 6th, 2005 at 01:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh ROFL @ everyone laugh

Congrats on the ducks...gotta picture of them yet?

I'd love to have a little duck for my pond but,with all of the strays around here I don't think it would have much of a chance to survive.

G-Mom grinnnn

#118096 May 6th, 2005 at 02:55 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
the trash men kept taking them home to eat!
I love guinea chickens! (Not to eat!)
That reminded of the Cubans who stole my 5 foot long iguana and had a big barbeque! ters

Cindy

#118097 May 6th, 2005 at 04:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
grinnnn

#118098 May 6th, 2005 at 11:33 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
:p Cindy had to calm Rickie and Lucie down after reading your post about eating 5 foot Iguana's as they are 5 foot Iguana's. laugh Had to asure them I would not let anyone eat them. Told them it was Blue Iguana's that got eaten not Green..Boy that was close. Whew laugh As you can see they arehiding in top of their cage.njoynit look at the free fertilizer you get. laugh
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/greywolf1842/LucienRicki.jpg
Jimmy

#118099 May 8th, 2005 at 01:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
jimmy, lucie and rickie are lucky to have you!

#118100 May 8th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jimmy!

You have all kinds of way cool stuff, don't you?
Neat!
Hope one day I will be able to have all my pets like I used to.
(I used to be the county dog catcher, but ended up keeping too many of the dogs I was supposed to kill. Lost my job.)

#118101 May 8th, 2005 at 09:24 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I love guinea chickens! (Not to eat!)
Yeh, I do too! They are so much fun. I drove up my friend's driveway and noticed there were umbrellas hanging in all of her trees. ??? Duh
She says that's the way to keep the guineas out of them! It looked pretty funny...like something you would see in my yard!

#118102 May 8th, 2005 at 10:48 PM
If you get a duck, that means you were playing cricket and you got out for nil runs. So getting a duck is not necessarily a good thing:)

#118103 May 9th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
BUT...if you are playing duck, duck, goose...getting a duck is a GOOD thing..you get to stay in the circle! (I have a 2yr old) grinnnn

#118104 May 9th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
I posted this the other day and it didn't go through?? mad frown Duh but anyway I used to have a duck but now it's in duck heaven angell but I remember when I was little I'd always ask them to buy me some of those plastic easter eggs so I could show my duck how to hatch her eggs because she'd lay them (and she didn't even have a boyfriend) laugh laugh her name was quackers laugh wink

#118105 May 9th, 2005 at 04:47 PM
I had a pet duck once. Drake actually. Loved to fight dogs. Bigger the better. Never won a fight except for the time this little lapdog named fifi wandered into the yard and the drake rode it for about 50 metres holding onto its ear and flapping away while the dog yelped and ran like blazes. Then it went down the road and jumped the fence to give the neighbours' rottweiler a touch up...
We buried Luckyduck under the poinciana.....Geez they bleed a lot.

#118106 May 10th, 2005 at 05:11 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I grew up in a little country town but not on a farm.

I went to my aunt's farm for the first time when I was 7. I thought the baby birds were so cute. Unfortunately, those cute fluffy ducks were not ducks...they were geese. The mom bites, hard. Really hard. While beating the heck out of you with her wings!!! And I am sure I am only 5'4" because I had a year's growth scared out of me by the mama pig!!!!! Wow they can move!!!!

My daughter is taking zoology in school this year. They hatched some eggs, I guess we are getting 2 chickens, no idea what kind.

#118107 May 10th, 2005 at 09:21 PM
WOW THATS GREAT FRENIE NOW YOU'LL HAVE REAL FRESH EGGS FRO BREAKFAST Duh )

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard