This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#122391 August 4th, 2005 at 08:30 AM
I cleaned out around one of my circles today - mostly scrap that went into the bucket - I did transplant some weeds, but there wasn't much to speak of.

Even the weeds have been stunted - ha ha!

#122392 August 4th, 2005 at 08:10 PM
Tk that is fine whenever you can. The chores yesterday were summed up with quite easily with "Honey would you please water the container flowers for me?" I about fell over when it worked. Yesterday he stayed home with me we woke up and walked around and looked at all the flowers we (me with some hard labor, that I had to drag out of him) have planted this year. Our rose bush has a total of 8 buds on it and 6 are open this morning. It is simply beautiful. I got a loaded camera but you will have to wait for those to come back from the lab. It is well worth the wait though.
Today I have to mow - I usually love this but sorta depressed today hubby has to go out of town for a few days I hate that. Realy makes one lonely! Should be used to it by now they send him to Japan so much, I dont know why I am upset over a trip to Michigan. But all the same hate to see him gone! It is however a beautiful day to ride the mower!

#122393 August 5th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today the garden chores gave me a blister that popped before I knew it was there. Hurts too. But I have 4 pails of homemade compost out in the garden where I want to transplant the peonies when I get a nice cool overcast day to do it. I am so please with the compost. I know now that the container will hold approximately 12 pails of compost if it were full up to the top lol. Yeppers that means about 1/3 of the total volume was compost today when I turned it upsidedown and checked to see how the bottom was doing.

#122394 August 7th, 2005 at 08:22 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well the chore for today was raking up leaves to add to the compost bin. Now all I have to do is get my hands on some green and I'm in good shape. I did get 7 or 8 branches to add to the bent wood edging. Which is good because it was leaning into the tomato plants lol. So I think I got that fixed. If not I'll get out there tomorrow and work on it some more.

The garden pleases me so much.

#122395 August 7th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
Again watered the container plants they are a real pain but add such a charm to the house its well worth the pain. Hopefully with moss rose in them next year they wont be so much work. Transplanted a butterfly bush that was way outgrowing its home. Pruned some of the hydregenda (sp?), and some of the lillys back. I was thrilled to see new growth on all the daylillies I planted a few weeks ago, since there was new growth I cut back the dead leaves on them all. Finally got the mowing finished. Sprayed the driveway for weeds, they were awful. When we had the driveway extended the crew didnt peal back the sod they just put gravel down on top of it, I came home and it was done. I called and complained but the company didnt seem to care about it so now we are just figting weeds in it nonstop. I may call them again Monday and give them whats for. I paid 800 for crap! I need to make them fix it or give me some of my money back for a job not done correct, because in our contract part of the job was to dig it out. Anyway as for the rest of the garden chores, I pruned a few of the philox picked the petunias and dug out part of the area that I want to plant the delphinium in and that was it for me for today. I am trying to convience my husband that it will be fun to finish digging out that area together tomorrow. He doesnt seem to be falling for it! Maybe I can bribe him with some fried chicken for dinner if its all finished in time for me to cook! lol

#122396 August 7th, 2005 at 07:53 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo I managed an hour and a half in the garden without a break. That is fantastic. And did I get a lot done. I transplanted the peonies since it is overcast this morning. And they got fertilized earlier in the week so transplant shock should be minimal I hope. I put down bone meal in their new homes so hopefully they will be happy inspite of being moved in August. Their new home is made up of mostly compost from the bin and is in the shade of the tree so is cooler and not nearly as bright as the previous location. I tried for exactly 2 feet apart but I missed a bit with some of them but...well, that's me lol.

Then I dug out their old bed to about 4 inches into the underlaying clay. That's hard work but it is going to be so worth it next year. I want to dig down a minimum of 6 inches and then fill the entire area with compost so that next spring when I plant the tomatoes they will have optimal growing conditions rather than being an emergency plant because I ran out of room. That's what happened this year and they have really done well inspite of their black thumb gardener lol.

Then I took what I dug out of that space mixed the top soil with the clay as best I could and added it to the second tier where I want to put the columbine seeds this fall. I still need at least 2 more inches of top soil in that area but hopefully by the end of the month the compost bin will be able to give me that much. I can cross my fingers anyway lol.

And then get this...I harvested 6 yes folks count them 6 ripe tomatoes. Woohoo!!!!!!! I can't believe it but I sure am one happy camper.

So other than being dirty and sweaty I am just about one of the happiest little gardeners on this morning lol.

Hope you all have a great day.

#122397 August 8th, 2005 at 10:19 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today the chore was sweeping up the back parking lot so it didn't look so yucky. also I'm trying to get the gravel in the space where we grow a mud puddle everytime it rains. Not easy with my little broom but I'm working on it. Maybe some day I can get it done. I had getting soggy shoe when I go to empty the trash lol.

I also got to harvest a number of portulaca seeds which was nice and send of my seeds for a seed exchange and take some of the dead leaves and put them in a better location. Plus I watered the compost bin lol. Well I guess that's about it for me today.

#122398 August 10th, 2005 at 09:15 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Guess what I did this morning...yep sweep up more leaves and put them in the compost heap. The rain and then maybe so late night wind really knocked down a bunch which was a good thing in my book. Now I think I'm going to go out and harrass some weeds while it's still moist enough to make the clay easy to dig in. Have a great day all.

#122399 August 10th, 2005 at 09:59 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Boy howdy is it ever humid out there. I'm soaked. But I did dig out about 6 inches of the top tier and get about a bucket of dirt shifted down to the third tier that I need to raise about 8 inches from it's beginning height. Inspite of the overcast it's just to hot to stay out there long. I so wish I could make more progress than I have been. But it's getting hard to motivate myself again. I guess that's because nothing is really blooming at this point. And it won't be next year either unless I get these beds prepared. Grrrrrrrrrrh. I want and I want it now lol. Isn't that so like me. I think it must be time for a nap the kid in me is getting cranky.

#122400 August 10th, 2005 at 11:46 PM
Well yesterday I forgot to post. It was a busy day in the yard. I took down the pool I hated to but it had alge in it and I was tired of fighting it! We live on a lake we can just hop in it for the ramainder of the year! I moved the trampoline so I can have the area where it was tilled for a flower garden next year. It will be tilled this week and fertalized and then the hibiscuis delphinium and Hollyhock will be placed in it along with some stones and such. I believe I will put a bench in the area as well so I can sit among the flowers and enjoy that area one day. Since the pool is down I had planned on seeding that are today but with the rain droppin it will have to wait. Next year the pool will be put in the new area we purchased on the side lot. Yesterday I also took all the little tyke toys doll house and rocketship and scrubbed them clean of the film that developes on them that has to be done about 2 times a year. They look great they were also placed in the side lot along with a new swing set. That was it except for a little weeding and prunning of the rose bush. This was my first rose bush and I am so pleased with it over the last few weeks I have just had an abundance of blooms on it. It is much easier then I had anticipated it would be to care for. All I have done is fertalize and prune off about an inch or so below a bloom once it fades. And that is it, and it seems to be just what that particular bush needs. I have had a total of 20 buds on it in 2 weeks time. Makes me feel great! I cant wait to get a digital and show ya all. It will probably be winter by time I purchase it, cuz the greenhouse comes first.

#122401 August 11th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Lucky you with the rose. It sounds like quite the little trooper. And you definitely have your priorities straight greenhouse first camera second lol. It sure will be fun to see your stuff though.

#122402 August 12th, 2005 at 01:55 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well today I gathered up a bunch of the leaves to spread over the ground near the peonies. I was reading that they like leaf mulch during the summer and hay/pine nettle mulch during the fall/winter. Hope I'm doing the right thing but they were looking alittle wilted and I am afraid I'm going to loose them after the transplant. Crossing all crossable parts here. I love peonies and I really want these to survive and grow and thrive and give me bunches and bunches of flowers lol. So I'll mulch and pray over them and pretty much make a fool of myself over them but what the heck. Why not. I'm smashing my egg shells up so that I can have a little eggshell mulch around my hostas lol. That should look interesting. I'm always finding something to do out in the garden. That's my favorite part. I just wish I lived somewhere where the temperatures weren't so high most of the time that it was hard to get out in the garden to putter.

#122403 August 12th, 2005 at 09:45 AM
Today I watered the conatiner plants and pulled one of them that looked awful. I had some sweet alyssum growing in a pot that was a lil root bound so I transplanted some of it in to the wall sconsca that I had to pull from. Fertalized everything includeing the neighbors petunias from last year around his mail box. Weeded that area too it looked awful. Cleaned half the pool still got half to do but I am gonna need some help with that part too heavy for me to maneuver myself. Probably be a few weeks before hubby can help me with that since he is scheduled for the next few Saturdays. UGHHHHHHHH. I found some blooms on my pasion plant today. I swear that thing was 3 little 3 inch starts and it is huge a month and a half later. It has covered the trellis and is needing a larger one. I am starting to worry about the darn moon vine not a bloom on it yet but the vine its self is huge. That is getting irritating. I want flowers not vines. Well other then the usual weeding and picking the faded blooms from the petunias that was it for me today. I am gonna pay for my lazy days this week. I just know I am gonna be overwhelmed next week but since my son will be in school I think I can catch up pretty quick and continue to enjoy him until next Tuesday!

#122404 August 12th, 2005 at 09:47 AM
TK I am starting to think this is just our own lil personal journal of work. Which is sorta cute! Have a wonderful day tomorrow girl and keep up the hard work!

#122405 August 13th, 2005 at 12:01 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You keep going to. Well sometimes other things require attention and the garden may not get first dibs but they'll be back. I've got to wait until this evening before I can water and I pretty much have to wait for everything else because it's so hot that I can't really go out for any useful amount of time now. Maybe I'll invest in a high watt light and start gardening at night lol. What do you think of that plan lol. I know I'm a little nutty today.

#122406 August 13th, 2005 at 10:09 AM
Tk my neighbors think I am nuts, my husbands grandmother got me a huge camping light. lol

She called one night and asked for me I was walking around looking at things in the yard. The next day she came over with it from her garage, said here for your nightly garden walk. Ya know the blooms do look a lil different in the moon light then the sun, why not enjoy them at all times.

Today I just watered the container plants and played. It was windy here so we flew kites. It was a wonderful day! Not even the most beautiful flower is as beautiful as my babies running in a field with kites behind them.

My little boy picked me a bouquet of wild flowers and surprised me. There were 3 of us moms out there today and I was the only one to get a gift! I realy felt special!

#122407 August 14th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
Well I had an inclination it was comeing and by golly this morning it was there! Posion ivy all over my face. I know I din pull any, but I weeded around the telephone pole yesterday where it used to be a few weeks ago I think when I rested my hand on the pole it got some left over oil on it from the ivy. Then I proceded to wipe sweat away from my eyes itch my ears and go back to work. Thought it was there lastnight when we were flying kites, confirmed those suspicions when I woke up this morning with my eyes swollen shut and ears on fire. eek Hubby insisted on takeing me to the dr. who insisted on giveing me a shot in my hiney. Like I needed pain in both ends! He gave me 21 pills to take in 7 days. They knock me out. I look like a cyclopse! No garden work for me today to say the least! Good news is that the Dr. told hubby to stay home with me at least until Wednesday to help since I took the medecine and fell asleep like 10 minutes later. WHich freeked my husband out especially since I take medication for sleep nightly that frequently doesnt do the trick. While I was awake thought I would see what was going on here. I am gonna read a bit and go eat something adn take more pills :rolleyes:

Scratch your itces for me!

#122408 August 14th, 2005 at 06:02 AM
Oh when hubby (Rick) went to get the script filled he also got me a beautiful coral orange gladiouls. He planted it in the yard for me I can look out the window and see it. I have never seen one with such beautiful bold color. HE said he saw it and it was so me he had to buy it. cool cool So I guess in some little way some garden chores got done!

#122409 August 14th, 2005 at 06:43 AM
Hi Karrie wavey That's such a sweet thing he did smile It got an 'awwwwwwwww' award from yours truly! I'm sorry to hear about your PI, and hope it goes away sooner than the 7 days.

#122410 August 14th, 2005 at 08:41 AM
Well the swelling is down and both eyes are open! YEah!!!!!!!! I had to go out and fix them he didnt break up the dirt around them and only dug the hole with the spade big enough to shove them down in to. I broke them up in to 2 different bunches as there was a total of 8 little bulbs in the pot. A good deal I thought for a lil 5 dollar pot from wal-mart. I realy hope they do well they are simply a beautiful color!

#122411 August 14th, 2005 at 08:45 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...se%2Bbush%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

THat is a pic of my rose bush. The glads are just a little bit brighter orange. I now want to find some yellow glads to put with the orange since they are close to the rose what a beautiful display that will make next year!

#122412 August 14th, 2005 at 08:52 AM
Ohh Nice color! When we planted our rosegarden we got one that color, may be a bit lighter - but it's still just little stumps frown That one and the JFK we planted didn't do well at all - saw 2 little leaves on the JFK a few times, but it never was able to take off. We'll leave them till next year and see what happens. Do you have trouble with black spot? I thought I had it licked, but it came back on me...grrrrr I think it's just that this is such a humid area that there's just no way - but then someone posted here from florda who had a hundred million roses, so I dunno Duh

I planted some glad corms in June that I won at a baby shower and they're coming up now. All theones that have bloomed are white so far - they're really pretty! It's just too bad they're right up against the white house confused Oh well at least we can move glads around eh? smile

Glad to hear your eyes are open now! Take care of that PI so you can get back out in the garden soon! wink

#122413 August 14th, 2005 at 09:13 AM
Thanks Mary. Actually that rose bush was one my husband called me and said hey go here they have a rose bush waiting in the office for you to pick up. He was on his way outta town for work saw it as he drove by and then went in had them hold it in the office for me to go pick up. I drove an hour to get that sucker, and it has been so worth it. I have on it 8 open roses and about 10 buds. It has had an abundance of blooms since I put it in at the minimum 4 at once with 5 buds but usually about 6 to 8 open and many buds waiting. Rick knows that its my favorite color so when he saw the rose he knew I would love it. It is the only rose I have actually dont care for them much usually. But before when I had them I realy din know what to do to take care of them. I grew up in a family where no one gardened......cept my grand parents who I only got to visit 2 times a year. I have learned so much from the internet and folks here. I realy had a pasion for flowers but no knowledge. With the success I have had with that bush there will be more roses in my yard in the future. The hubby wants a rose garden. Think I do too.

#122414 August 14th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
I have on it 8 open roses and about 10 buds.
That's great! I don't think I've seen that many at once on my bushes just yet. They're all 2 year bushes, and we did cut most of them down to the ground at least once because of black spot. frown

I have learned so much from the internet and folks here. I realy had a pasion for flowers but no knowledge.
ME TOO! smile

The hubby wants a rose garden. Think I do too.
Didn't mean to discourage you - hope I didn't. I love roses, they remind me of home and my mom & dad (the good memories laugh ) so I'd like to try to keep them going, even if they're never 'perfect' wink

#122415 August 14th, 2005 at 09:45 AM
Not discouraged at all! Actually I have more confidence now then ever with them. I have had no spots on them and did find a few japanese beetles on them yesterday which hubby also put some seven dust on it today for me I noticed. I am thinking this is his only flower pasion he loves roses his grandmother had a huge rose garden she toiled after he remebers that. His grandmother raised him. I think we can do this as a way of bonding and some constructive quality time together. We have been married for 10 years we are only 30. I think we need some common hobby and I think this is going to be it. I was so hyped when he showed excitement to the rose like he did. I realy din care for roses like i said, but he is makeing a soft spot in my heart for them. I love flowers but am more a petunia day lilly girl roses have never been my thing but they can be our thing!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard