This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#130819 January 2nd, 2005 at 03:22 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Oh Merme...how sweet...I had to read that to my hubby!!!! I think it is SO wonderful that Maxi loves art...and that you encourage him so. That is the most wonderful way for a child to express themselves! The bulletin board was such a great idea! I know he is lovin it!

#130820 January 2nd, 2005 at 04:05 AM
Yay, Merme!
It sounds like those girls really did a great job! And good for them and their program, because helping others is a great way to build self esteem.

ROFLMAO. That story about Maxi is too funny. Let's see, this coming year would be about the time that he's likely to start figuring out the facts about Santa, right? (Trying foggily to remember that far back...) I'm glad you got some good reactions from him this year. smile

#130821 January 2nd, 2005 at 04:21 AM
I remember when my oldest (now 21 and newly engaged this Christmas) was trying to figure the whole thing out and she said to me in the sweetest sounding voice, "Well, I know it couldn't be you, Mommy, cuz you wouldn't have enough money to buy us all this stuff!" laugh laugh

#130822 January 2nd, 2005 at 04:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My oldest said that too! I was a single Mom with her. I remember one year,when I had settled a lawsuit she didn't know about and Christmas that year was beyond her belief...she was only 5 but she was in tears.

She told me that she owed Santa for the rest of her life. Kareena has kept that in her heart all these years and her mission in life appears to be to make a childs Christmas better,any way that she can!

G-Mom grinnnn

#130823 January 2nd, 2005 at 05:09 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You trying to make me cry again? ters
(It worked.)

That's so sweet!

Cindy

#130824 January 2nd, 2005 at 05:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's so sweet!
SSSHHHHH!..So is she...don't let her know!!!!

G-Mom grinnnn

#130825 January 2nd, 2005 at 06:06 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Okay...I am gonna have to stick with only reading one forum at a time! I read one (about the diets) and I am cracking up...I come over here and start reading and I am bawling (at all the sweetness) So all day...laughing, crying,laughing, crying...is this what the rest of the YEAR is gonna be like???????? Duh

#130826 January 2nd, 2005 at 07:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So all day...laughing, crying,laughing, crying...is this what the rest of the YEAR is gonna be like????????
I hope and pray so thumbup laugh

G-Mom grinnnn

#130827 January 2nd, 2005 at 04:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, in another thread i told ya'll about how i told my kids that among other things about santa (and how he has helpers everywhere because only God can be in more than one place at the same time) that "when you stop believing in him, he stops believing in you". well, this year, my middle child was oohing and ahhing her christmas (she's 19). and i said "well santa was good to you" and she said "no, santa's helper was..."

made my day!

#130828 January 3rd, 2005 at 04:36 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Many years ago, when I lived in Cincinnati, I had the opportunity to participate in a "Christmas Miracle" for a family who desperately needed it and oh, did we have a blast!

There was a mother and father with 9 kids and the oldest girl was pregnant. The father died in October of a heart attack. In November, as the family was trying to prepare for some sort of Christmas for the children, their house burned down. In the panic of trying to get all the children out of the burning building, the mom fell down the stairs and broke her back.

So the city helped them relocate and they got settled in the house found for them. The mom was in a wheelchair and her unmarried sister came to live with the family to help them out. The daughter had the baby and all was well with that.

But these people had nothing, absolutely nothing to make Christmas with.

So my older sister organized a plan. Someone delivered a huge Christmas tree with all the trimmings, and oh, did the little ones get excited about that!

My sister went to the grocery store and bought enough food to last for ages, everything imaginable for a large family to feast on. My boss gave me a gigantic fruit basket that we filled with delights.

So they had the tree and the food arrived a few days ahead so they could begin cooking and baking.

Meanwhile, we made stockings for everyone in the house and shopped til we dropped. On Christmas Eve, my then-husband and I visited the family, not letting on to the kids that there were gifts in the car for them. We just had a nice Christmas Eveish visit. Then the kids went to bed wondering if Santa would remember them that year, be able to find them in the new place or what? We assured them that we pretty much thought he would.

After all the kids were upstairs, we hauled in all the loot and hung those stockings jammed with stuff. I tell you, I have never seen so many stockings hung by a chimney with care! It was awesome!

It was late by the time we got out of there, but in all the years since I have always wished I could have been a fly on the wall in that house on Christmas morning. Those kids had to have been thrilled beyond imagination because they KNEW mom didn't have two dimes to rub together and they KNEW they went to bed with no gifts waiting.

And I so loved it that it wasn't accomplished by one person....many people hearing the story got involved in the surprise and with each of us doing our part, we pulled off something really swell that no one could have done single-handedly.

Don't cha just love Christmas?!

Merme

#130829 February 12th, 2005 at 05:16 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Continue reading about Merme's apt upgrade here:
Update about the apt prize!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard