This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#143463 June 26th, 2005 at 09:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Miss Jamie....you know some of the bigger ones really seem like they take FOREVER--but it's exciting when you see parts of it actually coming together and not looking like just blobs of color.......When you get yours done I'd love to see pictures of them......I have 2 huge ones that I've sort of given up on.....One is really big with pictures of the 4 different seasons--I was really ambitious when I started it, but I lost that ambition somewhere....Another one is a huge one of flowers....I ashamed to say I don't even know where that one even is....LOL

I have about 4 boxes of colored floss, and one thing that I do that helps out a lot is this...say you have a colored pattern and you don't have all of the colors it lists....well I don't go and buy them, I always just pick the color in my craft box that matches best to what they recommend......They always turn out looking fine....And I'll cheat sometimes....Like the edging around the anniversary one I made--on the pattern it had about 6 different blues, but when I did it I stuck with 2 of them--made it so much easier.....Sometimes that's one of the most pain in the butt things, is just having to keep switching out colors to do a tiny little section....

#143464 June 26th, 2005 at 12:50 PM
one of the big ones that I have is REALLY pretty. it's white and grey looking horses coming out of waves in a huge blue ocean. it has a TON of blues in it.I got it for christmas from my uncle and his family. the other is really pretty too. it's of a wolf inside of a dream catcher looking thing. and you're right, I can make out a little section of it now. the section is the top part of the dream catcher and a couple of the feathers smile in fact I'm getting ready to go work on it now smile and that's something that I REALLY need to get some of...the different colored floss! I hope we get to walmart within a couple days so I can get some :-)

#143465 June 26th, 2005 at 11:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They sound really pretty.....doesn't it get confusing when you buy a prepackaged x-stitch with all the floss already in it? Sometimes the colors of the floss are so close you can barely tell which is pale blue, light blue, or medium blue......Sometimes it takes me forever to seperate all the different colors....I hate how they bundle them all together....They should seperate the colors for you, so when you buy it you don't have to guess about colors....

That's my x-stitching pet peeve.......I have tons of pattern books, but lately I've been buying more of the prepackaged x-stitches with everything in it.......just more convenient...

#143466 June 27th, 2005 at 05:32 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Prepackaged kits. I too hate what they do with the threads. Plus I always run out. Mostly my fault I will get three together when there are only suppose to be two and there goes the neighborhood lol. I tried doing a bay coloured carousel horse. So how it came out looking like a paint instead. That was kind of when I decided to go off and do my own thing instead.

I love those 4 season pictures. They are really marvelous. Is yours in a japanesse style or vogue or is it more landscape.

#143467 June 27th, 2005 at 05:44 AM
N
N
I love cross stitch- I cannot do embroidery at all- it just comes out all wrong. But I love cross stitch. but I have a short attention span and cannot finish anything big- so I don't do kits, I never like the patterns I find at the store so I draw my own designs and then I get sick of what I am doing in the middle of it and start something new- or change the pattern and then lose interest. I have lots of unfinished projects. My other hobby is researching my family tree and so most of my paterns end up being about that- old saying and samplers with names and dates of my relatives on them. I mostly do things I can work on a little a time and do over a couple of weeks or so. I loved seeing all the projects you all have done- there just so pretty.

#143468 June 27th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tammy, the 4 season one I have is more of a small landscape of each season....I really like it, it's just a lot more work than I thought and I just remember that I can't find the pattern.....LOL

Newlife, if you can you should post a few pics of the ones you've finished....I'd love to see some other members finished works......

#143469 June 28th, 2005 at 06:37 PM
N
N
I wish I could post some pics, but I am about the last person on earth without a digital camera. But I would love to see some of things others have done.

#143470 June 28th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Believe it or not, although I am a 53 year old grandfather, I have done crafts for over 30 years. I crochet,knit, bead, flintknap, weave, braid, and do small amounts of counted cross stitch and embroidery. This year I have made two afghans (of my own design) and a hood to go with my hoodless jacket. When I am not doing crafts, I am doing birdwatching and photography, or am on the computer. (I am retired.)

#143471 June 28th, 2005 at 11:10 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
newlife we have a digital camera that we send around. If you like I could send it to you. It took me a couple of days to figure out the basics but it's not real complicated. Course my pictures don't come out to go. But Fernie gets ok results when she uses it.

Thornius what is flintknap please? I love doing crafts and learning about ones that I can't do for one reason or another.

#143472 June 28th, 2005 at 11:46 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Flintknapping is chipping stone tools, like arrowheads, from flint, chert, glass, obsidian or other vitreous materials, using hammerstones, wood, bone, or antler. It is the oldest industry known to man (not the oldest profession)LOL.

#143473 June 29th, 2005 at 12:14 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
lol no I already knew what that was.

That's cool. Thank you for the information Thornius. I love learning new things. Now if I could just remember them for awhile lol.

#143474 June 29th, 2005 at 02:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thornius...I think it's great you do all that stuff and stay busy.....doesn't matter if you're a man or woman anyway as long as you enjoy doing it.....

My 74 yr old dad can knit....when he was a boy in London during WWII they had to knit squares for blankets....

I crochet, do you prefer knitting to crocheting???? I have a Dummies guide to Knitting, but I hate to say that I couldn't follow it....LOL Doesn't say much about me huh? It's hard to follow books in pictures though, much easier to learn from someone showing you.

#143475 June 29th, 2005 at 06:16 AM
N
N
tk hooper wow, you loan out your digital camera, thats very generous of you, I just might like to try that, as long as I don't need a scanner to get the pictures into my computer- I don't have one of those either.

I used to know how to Crochet,I made a bunch of blankets but it's been a very long time, I tried to learn knittng and made a scarf and a pair of mittens that turned out pretty good, but then I tried to find other beginer type patterns and I couldn't find much of anything- just sweaters and blankets that I wasn't ready for so I gave that up.

The hardest craft I have found is the plastic canvas thing, it should just work like crosstitch, but I just end up with a bunch of tangled narled up yard- very frustrating.

#143476 June 29th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
No you don't need a scanner. There is the camera, something called a UBS cable, and the CD that the photo software comes on. You just copy the disk on to your harddrive and then plug in the cable to the UBS(i hope i've got the right initials for that lol) port on your CPU and plug the other end into the camera after you take some pictures. It comes with a set of directions that aren't to hard to understand. Just make sure to follow the directions carefully. Evidently the UBS connection can damage the motherboard if it isn't done right. I didn't understand the explanation but I managed the connections without a hitch.

BTW the camera isn't mine it was donated to the forum as a whole. There is a string in this chat room called "forum camera" if someone wants to use it they can just put their name there. And the person who has it pm's them and gets their address so they can send it to them. If you pm me with your address I can send it on to you after the 5th. I have to wait until payday lol.

While your waiting you could choose which photo website you want to have. I have photobucket but it doesn't let the pictures get very big. And since I don't see very well I've been thinking about changing.

I love sharing it is so much fun.

#143477 June 29th, 2005 at 06:58 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Hi, loz! I think I prefer Crochet to knitting. Crochet is faster and you can do fancy lace and filigree effects with it. However, you can do color pictures by knitting which is also cool, but knitting takes waaay too lonnnng. Flintknapping is fantastic and with goos tools and materials you can turn out a museum quality stone tool in about fifteen minutes. However you get little nicks and cuts in the process and tend to bleed all over the piece you are working on, LOL. I REALLY like counted croos-stitch but don't do a whole lot of it and I could (and do) bead for hours on end. My ears are pierced and I love to make earrings for myself, my wife, my son (who has more holes in his ears than I do, and my son's wife. Heck, I just like making earrings. :p

#143478 June 29th, 2005 at 08:13 AM
N
N
I am discoreving more and more about this forum every day, very cool about the camera.

#143479 June 29th, 2005 at 08:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I've seen the knit lace too but I drop so many stitches I could never pull it off. Have you used the "broom" and "cross" stitches in crochet? I love being able to make the cables in crochet like you do in knitting but as you say it's alot faster. My problem is finding large skens of sports weight thread for the crochet. The 4 ply is just to thick for clothing. And I do a lot of that.

#143480 June 30th, 2005 at 04:27 PM
tk when you were talking about the cable for the camera you meant USB cable didn't ya? wink p lol

#143481 June 30th, 2005 at 08:42 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Did I mess up again???? Oh dear. Thank you Miss Jamie for keeping me straight. I do so bad with trying to learn things. How was the rest of the information? Was I good on that? Thank you for the help I really need it.

#143482 July 2nd, 2005 at 09:15 AM
I don't know everything about digital cameras or anything and didn't notice anything else wrong with your info...happy to help ya wink

#143483 February 28th, 2006 at 09:36 AM
C
C
could anyone tell me where I might find information on how to do embrodery. My mother used to do it when I was very young however, I was too young to pay any attention to it. I woud love to learn the proper stitches.

Thanks,
Joyce

#143484 February 28th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
Hi Joyce, and welcome!

If you PM our Triss, she can give you lots of good info on cross-stitching. She constantly has a project going while she's on the forums here.

#143485 February 28th, 2006 at 12:07 PM
Hi there Joyce. I don't know a whole lot about embroidery but do love to cross stitch as Lynne said. I am sure if you Google embroidery stitches you will get a lot of good info there. Please feel free to PM me if you want any info.

#143486 March 6th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
A lot of the stitches are the same as for petit point or needle point so you can look that up too. But it would probably be easiest to just get a book with all of the different stithes pictured and a graph on how they are sown.

Cross stitch is one of the stitches used in embrodery. It works well when doing a trellis or quilted bedspread as a part of your design.

I used a lot of the closed feather stitch and did a beautiful Flying Pegasus block 12" x 12" It took 6 weeks of continuous work to complete it.

What kind of projects are you planning to do? Most kits will teach you the few stitches that you are going to use for that project. It is seldom that you are going to use more than a few on any given project.

I do alot that are all satin stitch with just a few outline stitches to accent focal points.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard