This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#145790 February 8th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I'm Shocked she didn't knock at least one over. She doesn't have the best depth perception, and just yesterday was running around loose in a park and plowed into me headlong at full speed. Mike just laughed and said it was payback.

At least I stayed on my feet! laugh laugh laugh laugh

#145791 February 8th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
The reason more people do not have (or should not have) great danes is because they MUST be indoor dogs. Just like chiuauas, they do not have a fat layer under their skin. They easily get too cold, and even too hot. They are super-sensitive, and get their feelings hurt easy. They do not like to be alone.

I'll step off of my soapbox now. shocked I just do not want anyone to see her pic, and think "gee, I want one" without knowing about them.

#145792 February 8th, 2006 at 03:07 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
What great pictures! Abby is a harlequin great dane huh? I know about this guy in Lewiston that lives in this little bitty house and raises danes! Theya re the normal fawn color. And a real pack of them....4 or 5!! I don't know how the guy lives in the house, it hardly looks big enough for all the dogs!

#145793 February 8th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Triss:
How tall are you Weezie? His father was 6'3" so I expect him ot be that or even taller.
Well, the last time I was measured, I was 4' 11 4/3".... and probably shrinking as I type... :p
They wouldn't even give me that last 1/4"... frown

And my husband is 6'3" too...
*talk about Mutt and Jeff* wink laugh
*I do his laundry and hold his pants up to me to fold and his pant tops are up to my arm pits.. :rolleyes: *
I could NOT imagine having a set of legs that long..

Originally posted by barleychown:
Weezie, Abby is 32" tall at the shoulder, and 42" from nose to butt.
That means she's almost a yard stick TALL???
And wayyyy over one long???
Wow...
She sure looks like alot of FUN though!!!

Originally posted by barleychown:
I'll step off of my soapbox now. shocked I just do not want anyone to see her pic, and think "gee, I want one" without knowing about them.
That is exactly why we don't have one,
we know what needs to be for dogs, and do not
have the extra $$ for taking care of them, etc.
and won't do it to the poor dog..
but I feel the same way you do, so many get a dog,
cause of like a commercial or holiday or something and it's just not the right thing to do.

#145794 February 8th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
And that is EXACTLY why I have been researching them so muhc. For us it will be like adding another child to the mix. One who will travel with us and be just as much a part of the family as any of the kiddos.

Too funny about the park. Reminds me I forgot to tell about Abby knocking Mike over.

We were headed to the firehouse and we walked, as we got there, Sarah let Abby go and she ran off towards Mike who tried to catch her but missed and away he tumbled to the ground. As he was rolling over, Abby high tailed it back to Sarah and I thought for sure, she would be next to go down, but she stayed on her feet. Zack thought is was quite funny.

Boy Weezie, I think Zack may be as tall as you.

#145795 February 8th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Boy Weezie, I think Zack may be as tall as you.

Zack's the second one???????? eek eek
And probably 10 right??? eek eek eek wink laugh

I'm used to it..

There's not many that aren't taller than me,
I've been short, like, my entire life... :rolleyes:

#145796 February 8th, 2006 at 03:53 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
*laughing* yep Zack, the 2nd one, blue coat, hood perpetually ON. He just turned 11 at the beginning of December.

#145797 February 8th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My oldest loved to put on hoods..
All the time.. he'd even try to wear them
in school, and they told him he couldn't wear
them and he's slowly gotten out of the habit..
but I never minded him wearing it, but peer pressure and all put a nix in it...
*once in awhile, it'll be chilly or he's snugglin' on the couch and you'll find him with
'it back on...

#145798 February 8th, 2006 at 05:48 AM
I love all this kid/dog talk.
Sarah, the soap box is sometimes necessary. I keep telling people when they get these cute little puppies that they don't stay that way. And "time" is the most important thing you can give them besides food and shelter.
Pretty much goes for kids, too. grinnnn

#145799 February 8th, 2006 at 07:36 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Sarah I used to raise Saint Bernards (another big baby) and Chihuahua's. The Chihuahua is by for the meanest of the breeds. A Dane like a Saint think they are the smallest thing around and a lap dog. A more gentle dog will not be foud. Triss one thing about it if you get one or two (I think you need a pair of rescued Danes)no one will dare mess with you or your kids these dogs are also very protective.
Jimmy

#145800 February 8th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I know, I would not mess with me if I saw me with 2 Great danes!

#145801 February 8th, 2006 at 09:27 AM
We have 3 dogs and it does take some maneuvering when going on a trip. We've tried taking ToDeTa with us but she barks constantly and even at the pet hotels people complain.

How is it keeping such a big dog in the house? Does she knock things over?

So, how did this get together come about?

#145802 February 8th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Sheri, My hubby had to go out of town. He flew out of Portland and rather than drive hom down and hour and back an hour twice, I decided to pull the kids out of school and drive to Sarah's. And it was worth all of the driving to get there cuz we had so much fun.

My take on a big dog is that they cannot possible knock down more than the kids can laugh

#145803 February 8th, 2006 at 01:50 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Sheri, she does fine in our house. But then again, I don't have a coffee table or much down in tail range...not that she wags it much in the house.

Mostly she either stays on her bed or the rug at my feet sleeping or playing with her numerous toys.

Jimmy, you are right! She's a sweetie, but protective if she needs to be. She sat on the couch next to Triss for a few minutes...butt on the couch, front feet on the floor. laugh

#145804 February 8th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Ya know Sarah, I was pretty convinced before that but when she sat next to me, it melted my heart cool

#145805 February 8th, 2006 at 06:00 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
If I ever rescued a Dane would need to be a Tiger Dane as Billie loved them and always wanted one also have to be a little girl so I could name her Billie in her honor.But will resuce what ever needs rescued. That is why I say try to Rescue one or two as they are full of love and just needs a family or person to bestow it on. Spot amd Tiki almost knock me down with thier tails. Have to be careful when I have to use a cane as they will knock it out of my hand just walking by or in front of me.
Jimmy

#145806 February 9th, 2006 at 01:46 AM
wavey Hi All,

i was reading about Triss thinking of getting a dane, they are a great family dog and JV mentioned St.Bernards, we have one and he is the best dog, thinks he is a toy poodle Duh but fabulous with kids and no one bugs your house, the sheer size of them makes people wary of them, our "little guy" is 177lbs and taller then me (5ft2) when he stands on his back legs and we have had the best luck with him, both breeds are very friendly although some people would beg to differ, they cross the street when we walk him, but thats just means more sidewalk room for us.
good luck with your decision...
Penny

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard