This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally posted by loz:

Going up to the Jesus statue looks pretty scary!
[Linked Image]
Wooooooohhhh It looks Like a Drop off grinnnn grinnnn clp

This is the house we grew up in...the one with the white door. The back yard is only 3 times as big as the front yard. Dad said they are selling for 200,000 pounds now!!!! That's ridiculous!
[Linked Image]
So when did you start up your interest in gardening was is because your Grandfather has gardens??? I bet seeing that house brings back a lot of sweet memories huh Loz? cool
I was watching househunters international and they sell small spaces for megabucks$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s shk all over the world

WOW!!!!!!

GREAT pics, Loz!!!!!

thumbup clp

Amazing! Thank you!Loz,I see where you get your shoe thing, Your mom had some darn nice shoes on....great pics!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Angie, mom is nowhere near as bad as me with shoes! Yesterday I wanted to buy some more boots and she was just smiling and shaking her head at me. laugh

You know, saying that the house had a yard that big is a bit generous probably. Mom only had a couple of plants there, and when it was nice Dad would put our little kiddy pool in the backyard so I could play. This might give you a better idea of the size of the yard. TINY! And not worth 200,000 pounds.

[Linked Image]

I did get my love of gardening from my nana and grandad! They had a little sign made with Lauras garden where I could dig around and plant seeds. Grandad grew lots of things but I specifically remember all of the Sweetpeas he had---it's sad now that he's in too poor of health to garden....

Loz...Reminds me of my youth in Chicago,Just Love The pics...:-)

Yeah 200,000 sounds about right these days Laura. Prices have gone really high. It's ridiculous, how can first time buyers afford that! The prices are higher still in the city centre. frown

Thanks for sharing Loz!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup

Beautiful pictures Loz! What a wonderful gift your brother gave to your dad.

loz

Sounds like one wonderful family .

Perhaps you will go there some day.

dodge ......Thanks for sharing.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Barb, it is a great family....I doubt I'll ever get to Brazil, but I have been back to England one time.

Lisa---I can't believe the prices of things over there shk , especially housing. That house we grew up in wasn't that great. When we lived there it had no central heating. Just a fireplace and we used a kerosene heater upstairs......We'd wake up to frost inside the windows! laugh

loz

I didnt know your from England......Your doing great here.. What age did you come here/

My husbands grandmom was from there, and gdad was Wales......My dad was Poland.

Tell me more.

dodge

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well the story is this: My nana in England married a US soldier that was stationed in the UK. They had my mom and a few years later divorced because Nana wouldn't leave England. Mom never knew her "real" dad. She was raised by my Nanas next husband and to mom that is her dad.

When I was 6 mom found her US dad over here and came over here for a few weeks by herself to see him. Not long after that my dad got laid off from his welding job that he'd been at for years and years and was having problems finding a new job. They decided that the following year, when I was 7, that we'd move over here so mom could get to know her dad. So with a lot of tears we left England and all of our family behind for a new start over here.

We lived with moms real dad and stepmother for a few months until we found a house. Luckily they could buy it outright from selling the house in England. It was a real struggle at first--Dad did anything he could for money including, grave digging, painting houses, any odd job he could get.

Things weren't great with my "real" grandad. His new family didn't know about mom, and his wife was jealous of her. He passed away 5 years after we moved here.

We've been here now since 1983 and even though I'm still a UK citizen I consider the US my home and plan on becoming a citizen when my green card expires. thumbup

Loz

wow ........
What a story......Glad your with us.. You had it rough.......
When does the green card expire? I know nothing of that .

dodge

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe I have 3-4 more years left as a registered legal alien. They are good for 10 years--going to Baltimore to get it was TERRIBLE!!!! A real pain in the rear. :p

I can't complain too much, it was hard leaving our family in England....and I rarely ever get to see them and that's sad. We've had a pretty good life over here. thumbup

I believe I have 3-4 more years left as a registered legal alien .
laugh loz - we always KNEW you were an ALIEN!!! [Linked Image]

shk Lynne!! laugh laugh laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh thumbup laugh I am! I'm an alien! thumbup

loz,

You sounded so american, I would of never guessed..

I imagine it is worse when your a child and drawn between relatives..
Glad you survived........
My man was in England in the air force.. Told me lots of stories..

They are supposed to be great experts on flowers.
You in the right spot Loz......
And i read every one of the James Herriot stories.. He was the ole Vet there and loved animals........
Did you read them? They are all thru our librarys.....

Dodge

great pics loz, now if I can figure out how to afford to go to England! Your pics really made the scenery look as I thought it to be all these years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dodge, English gardens are some of the most beautiful ones out there! thumbup I don't think I've ever read any of his books, I'll have to look them up.

KS, just glad to share some pics! thumbup

Here's me in front of our old house the only time I've ever been back....I was 15.

[Linked Image]

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
...and of course you have a shopping bag in your hand! shk laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh Why of course.....my brother in England gave me 50 pounds to go shopping with. Well that isn't really THAT much but I dragged dad in every womens store I could find that day! laugh

BTW, that's my natural hair color--no wonder I color it! laugh

It looks fine Laura but i do like the red too!!!

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
BTW, that's my natural hair color--no wonder I color it!
shk It looks like MY hair color! laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard