This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
thanks for your reply about the animals yarn. i would ask my friend but then it would not be the surprise for her when i bring her fun new yarn for her only hobby. now i have a clue and about 3 months to pick out several before we head back down to mexico. smile and maybe i can get some "eyes and noses" at the craft store. can't bring her patterns, she doesn't read or speak english.

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Jane, Thorny Crochets,knits, braids, weaves, beads, cross stitches, AND flintknaps and has for over 30 years. I even have had some of my crochet bought by people in France and worn in Paris.

Here Ya' go! This is me making a sweater for my newborn granddaughter, Chloe back in August.

Thorn the Hooker
[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thorny,
All the ladies have been telling me about you! I've been waiting to crochet chat with the Bird Man.

If you look, two weekends ago when you were MIA, one the garden chicks brought a thread up. It was from August and you had just made that beautiful baby blanket.

I made the joke that we have too much in common -- the love of birds and crochet... I hope I need a tummy tuck next!!

Hey anyone,

I just messed with making color hearts on a white background......I hated droppin the color thread and picking up white...

Am really confused how to do it properly.
There were so many strings from me cutting the threads off that can't be worked in.

My question , how and what is the easiest method.

d sca

I have just left the string hanging on the skein and not cut it and picked it back up when I can back on the next row. Not sure on how to give you directions for that.

Right now I am working on a lap blanket that is black on either side with colors in between and I am using 2 skeins of black, one for each side and picking up the look when I come back around.

I will have to show you the photo of why it sounds terrible.

See the pickup areas are not straight
They are 1,2,3,4, spaces in one both sides.

Heart shape . I try to do why your saying pick them up, hide them....I am not good at hiding ..ha ha also when you join the 2 colors.
What proceedure do us. Pull it thru when you have 2 loops on ( single crochet)?????????
dodge

[Linked Image]
Here is a photo .

You beging with the tiny white area at the bottom of the heart.
4 stitches and change to blue,
back on blue change to white 3 stitches,
2 stitches
1 stitch.. that is the easier part.

hard part is the top of the heart.. it is a graph like you use for plastic canvas.

eek

dodge

I think that the keeping one line of both white and blue would still work there, is there one white stitch at the end of the heart as well on the left side?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dodge,
This cracks me up. laugh laugh I have always been intimidated by trying patterns that change colors back and forth. It was the one of the questions I'd ask - - not one I can answer.

But, I really want to figure it out too. the graph part I might get comfortable with quickly. I love to do filet. It's the switiching yarn part thats get me.

Isn't it Lynne who knits those amazing cat beds? Those bottoms are all one piece I think - she sure knows how to change yarn colors (knitting for sure)

I am going to give it a try! I should be able to find a pattern around here to give a try with.

Today is hectic. This evening I'll settle and play a bit.

So, dodge, here's to us - May we be changing colors with the best of them very soon.

Jane - you give me far too much credit!!!
I just wing changing colors - tie a good old knot, and hide it the best I can!!! The thing about the cat beds is, that they are felted, so you really don't see the knots after that anyway.

I asked the woman yesterday at ACMoore to show me how to change colors without knotting, but she was in a "mood", and never did.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
Are they all one piece- in the beginning you are changing colors every stitch or so???

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwrrrr
wwwrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwww

white is white
r is red
Now you start at the far bottom.this is top.
this is the beginner row
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwww
the heart is turned to create the look
bottom is teh flat side of the v .

Whoa It is a square when done.
What does one piece mean?????????????

Duh Duh Duh

HERE IS THE TRUE GRAPH OF IT ROW 24 ON DOWN..TOP

WWWWRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWW
WRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWW

OK YOU START AT THIS BOTTOM.
ROW 1 W CH 21
SC IN 2ND CHAIN from hook
sc in eaco of next 3 chains, change to heart color drop white to o(ws) what is that
20sc

Now lets see how yours comes out..
This is the exact pattern ..graph

Thanks.............pray for me!!

b

WOAH dodge - I cannot even look at that today - makes me cross-eyed!!!

Jane - the cat beds I prefer to make are the ones that look like pinwheels in the bottom - they are knit in "pie" pieces - triangular pieces if you will, so you need to attach a new color with each "pie piece". It's really so much easier to do, than explain! When I first saw the pattern, I said "NO WAY!", but as I did it, it really was EASY AS PIE!!! laugh Duh nutz

plants and pots it is all in single crochet.

i hate joining colors , i hate, i hate.

now do it .

SOme one please!! any color with white it is to be a use for scrap yarn..COme on try.

b

I am gonna work on it but WOAH on reading it out with the letters. Could you PM me starting from the bottom of the heart, the number of red's in each row?

Will try working it and take pics so you can see how I keep the heart as one strand of yarn and the background as one strand of yarn also.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dodge,
ws is wrong side - the back of the piece....
was the "o(ws)" a typo?

Hey Hey, I'm guessing this might be your hiccup dodge!!

You should always be changing colors to the back of the piece.
(I'm left handed,so when I lay a piece flat on a table the starting yarn straggle is the bottom right - so the back of my piece is when I am working and my starting yarn straggle is to the left -- I think this may be reversed for you right handed people , but I am not sure)

I can't follow your recipe too well. I am going to stare at it a little more and see if I can track it.

NOT HARD.

23 single crochet across
turn singlecrochet in 2nd chain from the hook
and singlecrochet in next 3 stitches

change to color and drop whit to wrong side..

WS looked like this.

b

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's part of it dodge that means no matter which way you are headed you will always drop the yarn to the same side... the back side

now what is you pick up method?
how did you pick it up/
While there is 2 hoops on the needle?

b

OK ladies, let me tell you first, I am not a very good teacher, do not know the right words. shocked I have no idea if you are gonna get how I do this or not, but here goes.

This is what I ended up with. It is taller than Barb's but I think it is my stitch. If I do them again I will add a few stitches of cream on the other side to make it more square.
[Linked Image]

My first color change. The lower purple strand I stitch right into the work, no knots at all. And the cream is leading back to the skein and waiting for me to pick it up on the way back.
[Linked Image]

And showing the purple being tucked into the work
[Linked Image]

My second color change on the way back to pick up the cream again. I just pulled it up through the loop at the arrow, again no cutting or starting a new strand.
[Linked Image]

The loop once it is attached and you can see the purple hanging out waiting for me to come back and get it o the next row.
[Linked Image]

Here is how I took care of getting the cream above the purple that went from end to end. I tightend the loose yarn that the arrow is pointing to and then when I stitches the edging around the whole thing, I stitched it right into the work.
[Linked Image]

I did have to start a new strand of yarn to get the top corner of cream into the project. I did the same thing with this and left the ends to be stitched into the work when I went around the edge.
[Linked Image]

And the whole thing before the edge was put on. My two strands on the bottom right are where I began and the top ones are all the ends.
[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dodge,
Brrrr! I have to go to the store to get bread for lunches... oh, bother!

I started the heart square. I don't like changing colors a bit.

WS is wrong side and it is the trick always drop yarn on the same side (back)

To change colors in a single crochet -- change colors for the final yarn over to draw through the two loops.

I am in the middle of the seven all red rows. I get that I can cut off white to start again later- because I'm not dragging it up 7 rows.

Well I am off to the grocery store... yucko...
I'll try more later - but I'm not liking it so much.

Well off to the grocery store for me... yucko.

Triss

Your swell.......
Thanks for all of this ..I am printing them.

Now what I see is a different method of single crochet.......
First when I make a chain.
Then go to the 3nd row......singl crochet in each of the stitches.....(I do this differently than you do)
I think you go under the single crochet.......
I go into the center of the crochet,
I get a different effect.....

Know what i mean/

b

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard