This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#162732 January 19th, 2007 at 02:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I found my special Q pattern!! Hooray! The scanner won't work..booo! That is still a hubby job around here, so I will post it this evening. It calls for a q hook and double strands of regular yarn. I use the thickest stuff at walmart (I can't check the name of it - I packed all away)

Here is a big swatch I made one night (or maybe two) while playing with big knitting needles
[Linked Image]
As I said, I have a lot of yarn and I just play a lot. (Not as much today as a few years back.
[Linked Image]

Everyone fights over this blanket. It is not too hot or heavy and it's fun to play with. There are places that stitches are getting big and I play with fixing it when I sit down. I also try to hide it a lot. the baby colors don't exactly go with the rest of the family room.

#162733 January 19th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
I love the colors Jane, its so pretty and delicate looking
thumbup

#162734 January 19th, 2007 at 05:46 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Great stuff Jane I love that sampler! Looks like you got us all right now!

I am going to have to invest in a Q hook, that will make my double stranded afghans a lot "lacier" but still warm. *mental note* for the next project!

Wrennie, Ok I know the DC stitch. How many chains do you do in the beginning to get the width?

#162735 January 19th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
8 or 9?? The instructions are on the label if you get that exact yarn from Lion Brand
There are 7DC's across

#162736 January 19th, 2007 at 06:54 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Just 7, looks like more than that. Will look for the yarn (and hook) when I can get to WM next, though I dunno when that will be.

#162737 January 19th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
my WalMart didnt have the Quick-n-thick
I pm'd you the instructions. Theyre on the lionbrand website

eek the $2.99 yarn is the regular jiffy not the thick-n-quick

#162738 January 19th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I got the instructions, thanks. I could also check next door at Michaels. I checked out Ebay and they have a couple of auctions going on that yarn right now.

#162739 January 19th, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Wrennie - I'm sooooo sorry - I didn't realize that we were talking about different Jiffy yarns until I was in Michael's this afternoon!!!

Their regular price for the plain Jiffy is $2.29, so I thought that was wrong - went around to the other side of the aisle and sure enough, there was the Jiffy Quick and Thick for $6 and change! Waaaaaaaaaah!

While I was there, I was able to get 2 skeins of Bernat Baby Boucle' for $1 each - they were closing it out, and only had 1 skein of the pretty blue "waterslide" color, and a few of the lavendar "violet blossom" - so I got one of each - don't know what to do with it, but couldn't skip that bargain!

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I also got an email from ACMoore today - they are having a Warm Up America session tomorrow from 11-3 - "bring your own needles and hooks and we provide the yarn". Not a bad deal at all, since I've been using my own yarn for WUA through Michaels - which seems to have petered out for now.

This is supposed to be in all their stores. And... they are having a storewide yarn sale of up to 75% off - hope there's something good left when I get there!

#162740 January 19th, 2007 at 10:04 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh I hope a lot of peopel show up for you Lynne. That would be so great if you could find a group after all of the hard work you have put into this project.

#162741 January 19th, 2007 at 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have yarn...
What project. What is Lynne up to?
What kind of yarn?
I have bags of yarn - mostly acrylics bought from Ames, woolworths and McCorry's back in the day.

I have blacks I will never use.

I just donated three big bag mostly whites. The mission store lady promised it would go straight to the ladies in Kentucky to make Christmas crafts ( I threw in reds and greens) I hope it did.
I also have chunky skeins leftover.

I have always been looking for a good charity for yarns. I tried to connect with Project Linus here, but so far no real luck. I get people who will "think of charitable uses"

I also have tons of new white yarn I don't like. I would love to sell it or donate it. It is baby cotton but it has a white thread through it. It's hard for me to work with, but, it will make lovely delicate baby stuff. Great Baptismal stuff.
I overbought baby cotton a few years back - so I have yarns that I've just made enough things out of.
Also, I have more than 100 pairs of knitting needles. I have many crochet hooks..(at least 4 Q's for example - those I like grinnnn

Anyway, what is the project. Please send me to the thread that says who is coming to see whats!!!

I also talk to much laugh laugh

#162742 January 19th, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Lynne is working on rectangles for Warm Up America. I have made a bunch of squares for that as well but as of yet have not found a place locally to donate them to. Lynne was hoping to find a group at her local Michael's but it ended up being only herself and one of the managers there.

I would love to see a list of stuff you may want to sell. I could always use mroe yarn! Planning a black and white afghan for my next project, or it is in my head at least!

#162743 January 19th, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Jane - you crack me up!!! Are you always this hyper??? laugh Duh kissies

The program is called Warm UP America, and one only needs to knit or crochet rectangles that are 7x9, in any type of yarn in any type of stitch. They are then sewn into blankets that are donated to local places in need - such as hospitals, nursing homes, women's shelters, etc.

Triss is correct in that I was hoping that Michaels would carry this program out, but it seems that the activities coordinator has too much on her plate right now and I've not heard back from her about the next meeting. I've already made 35 rectangles towards a blanket - they need a minimum of 42 for a full size - that's the smallest they can make. OR... you can make your own baby blanket - any size - or a lap blanket like I did when I was learning to Granny Square.

So... I'm excited that ACMoore is jumping in now, and hoping they have a better turnout than Michaels has!

Do you have an ACMoore near you?
They are doing it tomorrow from 11-3.

#162744 January 20th, 2007 at 12:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nope.. no ACMoore near me, the closest is 30 miles.. The closest Michaels is almost 15 Miles. In town we have Wallyworld and that's it. Thus, my on line yarning.

Lynne, I have been looking for a good purpose for all this yarn for a long time. It's exciting to get to know other crafters. I tried to find good uses for it on rycyle.com and got a bunch of crack pots. In other words, Lynne, yes ma'am, I'm usually hyper clp clp

That's great that you are working on a charitable project.

I'm not much of an organizer or participator -- I'm more of a donator wink

#162745 January 20th, 2007 at 02:23 PM
I got some fun fur at Michaels for $1
They were out of all the baby boucle when I went

#162746 January 20th, 2007 at 02:51 PM
The fun fur was $2 at my Michaels!!! NO fair!

#162747 January 20th, 2007 at 03:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Hey...Tuesday morning has 10 packsd of bernat fun fur for $10. Of course, it's 10 of the same the color. Tuesday morning just got in other yarn too.

If you have a Tuesday morning it is definetely a place to check for yarns. And, as I said Big Lots has been getting tons (way lots) of cool yarns for a $1 a skein.

I love bargains clp

#162748 January 20th, 2007 at 07:49 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh those are way awesome deals. That is the kind of deal I need! I sure wish I had one of those stores close by. I am stuck with WM and Michaels for any craft items.

#162749 January 20th, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Jane, but my Tuesday Morning is the pits!!! It is the dirtiest, smelliest store I've ever been in, and when they do get yarn in, it's only a skein or two and usually really ugly colors and/or unraveled!

Sorry to be a downer, but I really dislike that store! :p

#162750 January 20th, 2007 at 10:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our Tuesday Morning is only a few years old. I don't like the older ones either. Tuesday Morning is hit or miss... but I do love ours. But, I know of those smelly ones you speak

I stopped by Big Lots.. They have a lot (whole bunches) furry yarns for .$79 - $1.

Triss, I'd kill for a Michaels. Michaels is 15 miles in a crappy direction. All of have close is Wallyworld

#162751 January 20th, 2007 at 11:20 PM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
I have to go about 15 miles for our WM and Michaels as well. At least they are next to each other. Not much is closer than 15 miles anyhow.

#162752 January 21st, 2007 at 12:16 AM
I also have to go about 15 miles to Michaels and a bit further to ACMoore, but I don't mind - it gets me out of the house!

#162753 January 21st, 2007 at 01:47 PM
laugh The stores that are close to me are 35 miles away! laugh
May have mixed up the name again Fun fur is just furry right?? So it was the fancy fur, with the little 'pompoms' in it that was $1 the plain fur/eyelash kind was $2.
The fun fur was $1 at JoAnnes over Martin Luther king weekend.
perpl

#162754 January 22nd, 2007 at 04:00 AM
Triss Offline OP
OP Offline
Wrennie, you inspired me. Though I did not have any really chunky yarn, I did have some nice soft fluffy stuff and made a scarf today for Lys. It actually goes with the fingerless gloves that Lynne showed us how to make a while back. Working on my 2nd one which will be a birthday gift for my niece. I added strings to the bottom cuz Lys asked me to.

[Linked Image]

Lys and the matching scarf and gloves. And notice Lynne she is wearing the shirt again. grinnnn

[Linked Image]

#162755 January 22nd, 2007 at 04:30 AM
Triss - you did a TERRIFIC job on both the scarf and warmers - they fit her so very well!

And I'm chuckling, because I would still call it a dress - even though I know she wears it over pants! I'm so glad that she likes it so much. Does she ever wear the matching headband? Has she gotten any use out of any of the other stuff?

#162756 January 22nd, 2007 at 04:32 AM
That is really nice, Triss. Lys is a happy looking kid.
I wish Jonni still wanted my home-mades. Well she does but the things she wants, I won't bother with. I'll let her earn the money to buy the things I won't allow her to wear to school.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard