This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#33282 July 14th, 2005 at 10:15 AM
C
OP Offline
C
i will see what you say in the morning time for me to say nite nite thank you

#33283 July 14th, 2005 at 10:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Try this link here, and click on RIPE FRUIT, there's some pictures there,
click on the one where the fruit looks like yours.

#33284 July 14th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
C
OP Offline
C
it seems to look like 1 of the pictures, the tomatoe is red but the botton is greyish brown, if this is it what do i do if anything. i already transplanted it into the ground so i am really hopeing that this will work.

#33285 July 14th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alot of that has to do with
the plants ability to utilize calcium..

It could be caused from low calcium levels in the soil/dirt, could be caused by drought stress conditions *or hot and dry*, or excessive dirt/soil moisture fluctuations which reduce uptake and movement of calcium into the plant, or rapid, vegetative growth due to over amounts of your nitrogen fertilizers....

I use Epsom Salt at the drip line, and or dug into the soil either at planting time
or later *if I forget shocked * sprinkled onto the surface of the soil/dirt and scratched in with
one of the dirt scratchers...*****If the plants' been planted for a wee~bit, becareful how you scratch it in, as you don't want to harm existing roots...*
Click on the 3 links on the side, that say.......
Garden Benefits
Why It Works
Garden Usage Tips
and it'll give you why to use it, what it does,
and how much to use....
***Should say it on the bag too if you go buy some.*

#33286 July 14th, 2005 at 09:42 PM
C
OP Offline
C
thank you so much for helping me and my tomatoes
i am going to sprinkle some epsome salt and carefully scratch it into the dirt. if this works you are a blessing and my tomatoes thank you. flw

#33287 July 15th, 2005 at 08:15 AM
LMT Offline
Originally posted by countrylady:
thank you, i do have some pics. i water the plant when it is dy and i also spray the leaves with water i water the plant until i see the water drain through the hole on the bottom i do give it miracle grow every other week i bought bagged soil please help. i am going to try to send pics
I read this every time. You need to back off commercial nitrogen when plants begin to flower.

--

edit

--

I see Weezie introduced Epson to combat excess commercial nitrogen.

What happens is the commercial nitrogen inhibits the plant's ability to take in calcium. Epson salt is magnesium which helps a plant take in calcium. Lime is calcium.

Back away from the Miracle Grow and use Epson and/or Lime.

I use Miracle early then switch to a bloom enhancer (high center number) for flower and fruit.

The same commerical product cannot carry you from seed to fruit.

#33288 July 16th, 2005 at 03:39 AM
S
S
Countrylady,

The pic isn't that crisp, but if it's indeed blossom end rot (BER), don't despair as it should resolve itself as the plant grows over the course of the season. It's really one of the most benign of tomato problems. You're ok to cut off the affected part of the fruit and eat the rest, it's entirely fine.

As a side note, adding calcium in the form of Tums or epsom salts has been shown to have marginal effect, if only to make the gardener feel like they're doing "something". I truly wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Do resist the temptation to "over-help" especially in the forms of watering and fertilizing where you really will be doing more harm than good.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

#33289 July 16th, 2005 at 06:21 AM
LMT Offline
Epson salt is magnesium sulphate, lime is calcium magnesium acetate or calcium carbonate.

You are correct though, back off the store bought additives.

#33290 July 18th, 2005 at 10:18 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I thank everybody who helped me with my tomatoe but i took the tomatoe plant out of the pot i had it in and i planted it into the ground and it seems to be doing good now, the new tomatoes are looking alot better and they do not have any signs of being greyish brown n the bottom of them. now if we only get some rain here in davenport iowa i would be happy it has not rained here for about 2 months. thanks again everybody so much. flw

#33291 July 18th, 2005 at 10:44 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Please keep us posted!!!
Really, we enjoy thumbup

#33292 July 19th, 2005 at 04:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
i will as soon as one of the tomatoes ripes i will send a pic of it.

#33293 July 19th, 2005 at 04:16 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup clp

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard