This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#43647 June 25th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I was walking out on the back porch with Mark and I said, you know some mornings when I come out here I hear a loud splash at the pond......

At the moment that I said that you hear a frog.....I have a bullfrog in my pond! laugh

We went down and actually could see it.

In all of my years living here I've never saw a frog ever! Dad said years ago he saw them a bit, but not recently.

I just can't believe it. Will it eat my fish? shk

#43648 June 25th, 2006 at 09:15 AM
I cannot be sure, but when we were in Indiana, we had tons of bull frogs in the pond and our fish fourished without issue. We started with 2 and by our 3 summer with the pond we had well over a hunderd to say the least. I dont think I would be concerned.

#43649 June 25th, 2006 at 09:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you! I am an over worrier, and I didn't want them to eat my fishies....I've gotten attached to them. thumbup

I still can't get over a frog being in my pond, you just don't see them even though I guess they are around.

My 4 year old niece is just going to love this..... laugh

#43650 June 25th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Loz, I have 2 bullfrogs living in my pond. I took some pictures of them the other day. I'm still trying to sneak up on one and take a picture of it sitting on a lily pad. That is the funniest thing! You will probably come to like your frog as much as your fishies. Sometimes they will go "meep" when they jump in the water. It's kind of funny.

#43651 June 25th, 2006 at 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That would be a funny picture! laugh laugh

I just hope my fish are safe, my ortho pond book says that they can eat goldfish.

#43652 June 25th, 2006 at 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
loz, i know frogs can eat fish, but i also know they usually don't, but save fish as a "meal of last resort" because there are tastier, easier to catch critters out there. i think your fish are safe.

also, if they eat a baby or two, it might keep your pond from looking like cindy's! laugh laugh

#43653 June 25th, 2006 at 12:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well that's a good thing...I hate to say it but maybe he'll eat some of those mosquito fish babies....

Mark said he should feel right at home...I have ornamental frogs around the pond! laugh

#43654 June 26th, 2006 at 07:24 AM
loz, don't you hear them at nite? I had a few making so much noise calling mates. The next day there were 3 sets of two mating. I had to scoop them up and take them away. I still have tadpoles growing by the handful. I do have a frog that's green sticking around. He's cute, I'll keep him.

#43655 June 26th, 2006 at 07:29 AM
oh and I thought the fish kept the mosquitoes babies away.

#43656 June 26th, 2006 at 07:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well where I live it's really residential, lots of houses and you really, honestly don't hear them up on my hill. Dad said it's been years since he's saw any frogs around here. Too many stray cats too, they probaby eat them I bet.

And I have fish called mosquito fish...they eat mosquito larvae and I'm thinking the frog might eat the babies that the mosquito fish just had. Duh Everything I've read says they can eat golfish and even birds, turtles, snakes, and other frogs. grinnnn Snuck up on him really good.

[Linked Image]

Here's a few of my fish!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#43657 June 26th, 2006 at 08:04 AM
Great pics Loz! Neat that you caught the frog and the fish!

#43658 June 26th, 2006 at 08:19 AM
Way to go, Loz! thumbup Great pix. clp I think your frog is the neatest thing. Is't it nice he found your pond. He will be fun to watch! wink :)Sue

#43659 June 26th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
Great pic's Loz. We have toads around here so bad I am afraid to walk out side barefoot at night. Afraid I will step on the lil buggers. We have them by the hundreds literally. The tiny ones and the larger ones. Their is a tree frog (I think its a tree frog any way) that is hanging out on my front poorch for days now. I think the snake scared him up there and he ain't going down. He's a cute lil guy. Hopefully my lil water hole in progress will provide them with a new habitat.

#43660 June 26th, 2006 at 10:49 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I just had a big post typed up and I'm not sure what happened to it!
shk nutz

If anyone comes across a post somewhere about a frog that is really out of place, like in the welcome forum, or maybe a PM to someone, please let me know!
(I had 5 windows up, so God only knows where I posted it) laugh

#43661 June 26th, 2006 at 12:11 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
OK...gonna try it again... thumbup

I have a bunch of huge frogs that jump in the pond when I walk close to it.
Sometimes they will go "meep" when they jump in the water.
I thought they were saying "EEEEK!" shk laugh

Back in the fall I was cleaning some leaves out of the pond, and I scooped the net way down in the deep part. It was so heavy coming up I thought I had a rock in it. I reached in the net to get the rock out from under the leaves and it was a huge frog! shk I don't know who was scared worse, me or the frog.
He peed.....and I just about did! shocked laugh

#43662 June 26th, 2006 at 12:53 PM
I remember that one Cindy!

#43663 June 27th, 2006 at 02:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I could just picture that happening Cindy! laugh laugh

I just hope that other frogs don't join my frog and make little tadpole frog babies. :rolleyes: laugh

#43664 June 27th, 2006 at 03:31 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh Cindy you make my cheeks hurt lol.

#43665 June 28th, 2006 at 01:46 PM
Cindy, my mom had one of those frog episodes once, only the frog had gone through the washing machine. She took the clothes out to hang them up, and there was this squishy thing and she thought one of the boys had left a balloon in their pocket or something, and she kind of squished it -- until she saw what it was! Poor Mama! Fortunately for the frog he had not survived the spin cycle. It was a goodsized toad, and he had got in among some scrap material Mama was saving, and she decided to wash it and got the toad too!

Hey I was finally able to sneak up on my frog and get his picture today on a lily pad. My camera is not digital though, so I have to take my film in (that was the last picture) and when I get it back, I'll post his pic. He's very cute! Loz, I love your pics. Hey my mosquito fish are doing good. Some are getting really fat. I think they're pregnant. smile

#43666 June 28th, 2006 at 02:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking forward to your picture! Mr. Froggy has been well behaved so far and hasn't eaten my fish.....lucky for him, or he'd be gone.

Your fish may very well be pregnant..... laugh If so get ready for tons of babies! Did you know the females are bigger than the males? It's not too hard to ID the two.

#43667 June 28th, 2006 at 05:34 PM
[Linked Image]

Thought I would show you all a picture of our frog from last year. He hung around (i think it was a hunting to see if we can gather a few and bring them he, couldn't tell ya for sure) We haven't seen him yet this year though. Maybe we'll go frog hunting and bring one to our home..Hope this posting works..

#43668 June 28th, 2006 at 05:50 PM
Sorry about the size.. I thought i was doing it right..oops..if anyone has any suggestions on how to get them smaller to post..please let me know..thanks all

#43669 June 28th, 2006 at 06:12 PM
Langford, WOW, those pictures really are WAAYYY too big! I don't know how small they'll turn out to be if you resize them on Photobucket, but you can try clicking on the "Edit" button above the picture on your Photobucket page, then in the "Resize Image" field, click he radio button that says " 25% of original", & click on the "Resize" button.

Go back to your post here, where the picture is too large, & click on the little icon of the paper & pencil, & replace the picture code with the new one from PhotoBucket, then click on the "Edit post" button.

Hope it works... Your frog is a sweetie!

#43670 June 29th, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Patty, once she has resized the pix in Photobucket, the ones posted here will automatically be resized...no need to do an "edit." Just be sure after resizing, do not move the picture anywhere else in Photobucket so the "address" remains the same. Then just Refresh your Gardener's Forum page and the new sizes will appear.

HTH!

#43671 June 29th, 2006 at 03:50 AM
Thank you both for all your help..this is the first time posting and i figured i would do something wrong..hehe..and thank you Patty i thought he was a sweetie too..but he left for the winter and hasn't returned..so i'm pretty sad about that..i am not getting any good water plants this year. This one gentleman from freecycle was suppose to mail me some, but he keeps sending me some silly email about how to take care of them and then says they are pending..what in the world are you pending? How you should send them? He already told me..oh nm i'm blabbing now..sorry..and again thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard